How do Maps, Mobs and Drops work?

mowljo.2376

So how do they work?Does my instance of a map has a limit on how many items or rares can drop when im continulies farm the same enemys?How can I, or is it even possible, to refresh a map for new and faster respawns?I dont really understand it, would be nice if someone could enlighten me :)

You don't really farm map mobs for specifics in GW2. Mobs/maps do not have loot limits and loot is more or less based on a random roll which also checks against your magic find statistic. The only time you might do this is if you want a specific type of lootbag for crafting materials, but mobs respawn fast anyway, so there is little to no camping/map hopping required (eventually you risk hitting diminishing returns as explained in the below post)

Bosses are different and they are on a timer in the open world. If you type /wiki event timer into chat, your browser will display it

@mowljo.2376 said:Interesting!

Thanks, so mob farming isnt a thing then anymore?But what about the afk necros i see everywhere?Dont they get heavly affect by the DR ?

Depends on which map it is, and if they're actually farming or just AFK (necros and rangers are less careful with AFK spots, because the pets will protect them). The loot system has been altered several times over the course of the game, however its only done on a per content block basis. Core Tyria uses the classic drop system (trash loot abound, mixed with rare drops), while maps as early as Dry top shifted to a Event driven reward system. With POF, the current swing is favoring trash loot drops (for trickling gold), and shifting all the real value to unidentified gear and token currency gained as event rewards. You also get big chucks of rewards via Achievements and collections, which are designed to lead you into a follow up collection with some kind of prestige item (like the Espec weapon skins).

They reason they dropped the mob based farming is how players were favoring, and purposely failing, certain event chains to continuously farm them. Temple of Genth in cursed shore being the most well known, as it could be run 24/7 if the group cooperated on the failure. Because diminishing returns were on a per character basis, people could bypass DR by cycling through a set of Alts as each one hits the cap.

Unfortunately we now have a problem of Participation leeching in big meta events, where people get their hits in for credit, then AFK for the rest of the event. Normally people wouldn't care, except them being there causes the events to scale up and be more difficult. Some people even go through the trouble of trying to get AFKers into the collateral zone of Mobs, so they die..... after a while the participation drops, and they don't affect scaling anymore. However, it rarely works, because the timer is longer then most of the events which have this problem (like Octvine).

Archived