Fear Inoculum Guildhall [TOOL] incorporating the Holographic Racetrack pieces

Ronin.4501

After years of decorating in Guildhalls, I would like to say that decorating with the holographic racetrack pieces might be the most frustrating thing I've ever worked on (in regards to Guildhall decorating).  Trying to line the pieces up accurately was an absolute nightmare, and at times I felt as though I couldn't have done worse had I been blindfolded. Additionally, 9 times out of 10 when I would delete a piece (it took numerous attempts to place each and every piece...and even then the results were far from perfect) it would delete the piece(s) previously placed instead resulting in additional frustration.

For anyone planning to decorate with these pieces in the future, I STRONGLY suggest going into your Graphics Options and 1) turning off Post Processing, Shadows and Reflections, as this will make it somewhat easier to see the pieces when you're placing them. 2) Turning off DX11.  Doing so allows for more decoration pieces to be placed in a specific area; however, I should note that I still routinely encountered the decoration cap when in fact I had not reached it. I recommend closing the game fully and restarting it and attempting to place the piece again before deciding that the area is indeed decoration cap.

That being said, this is the result of my most recent project!

• Like 3

Oh, awesome. The result is worth the pain. 👍🏻

For you it's already to late OP, but another trick to place holo trackpieces precisely is to place an regular trackpiece and then build a holo piece on top. This way you can see (more or less reliably) if the holo piece is placed and aligned correctly. You "just" have to remove the regular decoration afterwards.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Andur.9275 said:

Oh, awesome. The result is worth the pain. 👍🏻

For you it's already to late OP, but another trick to place holo trackpieces precisely is to place an regular trackpiece and then build a holo piece on top. This way you can see (more or less reliably) if the holo piece is placed and aligned correctly. You "just" have to remove the regular decoration afterwards.

Thank you! And actually I tried placing the holo track piece on top of the regular track piece a while back when I rebuilt an old structure in my other pocket GH (Yeah I have a decorating addiction problem lol!) and the holo track piece, despite being laid on top of the regular track piece, somehow appears UNDERNEATH the regular track piece...at least using the graphics settings I was using. You've got me wondering if you have something else turned off or at a lower setting allowing you to see them properly?

PS. It's not necessarily too late. I'm not above tearing down the entire structure and rebuilding it if I think I can improve on the outcome!!

Sadly I didn't find a satisfying grafics setting, to cope with holo trackpieces. It's better to turn off post processing, but then the other decorations aren't highlighted anymore, when you want to delete them.

Another feature (?) of the holo decorations is, that they turn completely invisible when you place them under water (which is super awesome for a racetrack) but unfortunately let's you age for centuries during the building process, because you are placing them completely blind. The pieces turn visible again, once you dive but then you can't use the building skills anymore.

edit: The holo up- and downward ramps seem to have a slightly different angle than the regular trackpieces.

Edited by Andur.9275

26 minutes ago, Andur.9275 said:

Sadly I didn't find a satisfying grafics setting, to cope with holo trackpieces. It's better to turn off post processing, but then the other decorations aren't highlighted anymore, when you want to delete them.

Another feature (?) of the holo decorations is, that they turn completely invisible when you place them under water (which is super awesome for a racetrack) but unfortunately let's you age for centuries during the building process, because you are placing them completely blind. The pieces turn visible again, once you dive but then you can't use the building skills anymore.

edit: The holo up- and downward ramps seem to have a slightly different angle than the regular trackpieces.

Yeah I actually was turning the Post Processing on & off constantly while building since I was using the regular racetrack pieces as scaffolding and I needed to see which piece I was deleting (after deleting the wrong piece a few times).

I can also sympathize with the underwater issue as I accidentally placed a piece below the waterline when I placed it just beyond the edge of the tunnel and it dropped down below. I was able to locate it in the water but it took me several attempts to actually delete since I couldn't see it from above the water.

Ah the joys of decorating!! 🤣

• Haha 1

I find the eye blinding shiny light is not a major problem, as you guys said they can be worked around. I have trouble joining the pieces together perfectly mostly because of the missing outline on the connecting side. Especially those Upward Ramps and Downward Ramps. I have to be very focus and redo them a few times just to get a near perfect angle and line up 🤕 No patience for 100% perfection. All track pieces have four sides and it has to be the connecting point that has no outline. Sigh. And indeed the holographic tracks and the wooden ones are not 100% symmetrical, be it angle or size.

• Like 2

Yeah, why the models of the holo and the original trackpieces are different and the bended curves are still missing (afaik), is beyond me.

If I were to create the holo parts, I would have taken the same models and "just" assigned new textures. Also I would change them to be not fully transparent at their ancor, so you could see the edge when you place them.

• Like 2