Ranger Pet and WvW

MonsterTruck.9816

3 hours ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

Let's not pretend target caps aren't relevant. Rise and Golemancer runes got nerfed for a reason and in general, those caps carry zergs hard and allow them to facetank a lot, especially vs lower numbers. Not something that should be reinforced.

And if the DR wouldn't be high, then it would be useless in zergs because as you said - pets can't dodge or avoid anything so either they can facetank and survive the enemy bomb - which would require them to absorb a lot of dmg, that might have hit someone else otherwise - or they can't, then nothing changes.

The DR is mostly to allow the pets to survive long enough to be healed by swap.
Even with 95% DR, the pet won't receive consistent boons (unless you run FortB) and healing, causing it to die quite quickly anyway, unless it's constantly managed to last till swap "heal".
Additionally the target cap would technically work in favor of the pet, making it more valuable as a pseudo team/squad DR and I don't think it would be too unhealthy for WvW.

5 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

But rangers shouldn't have to do this.  It's a poor workaround.

Agreed. Forcing a class to turn off their class mechanic for nothing in return just feels cheap and should not happen.
If anything, the pet should semi stow after death since it turns negative value into neutral value.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

A good middle ground could be that stow your pet untill you need it, normally I just leave mine dead in a Zerg clash then pull a pet swap later to use its skills.

It's been asked  multiple times for years and years to be able to stow the pet when out of combat and not come out until you call it in. It seems an easy enough solution.

But we already got confirmation the devs and their consultants play favorites and ranger is not in that group. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Beddo.1907 said:

Additionally the target cap would technically work in favor of the pet, making it more valuable as a pseudo team/squad DR and I don't think it would be too unhealthy for WvW.

Anything that favours superior numbers disproportionally is unhealthy. Even more so when it would be completely passive dmg mitigation for free as damage sponges in form of super tanky pets would be.

20 hours ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

Let's not pretend target caps aren't relevant. Rise and Golemancer runes got nerfed for a reason and in general, those caps carry zergs hard and allow them to facetank a lot, especially vs lower numbers. Not something that should be reinforced.

And if the DR wouldn't be high, then it would be useless in zergs because as you said - pets can't dodge or avoid anything so either they can facetank and survive the enemy bomb - which would require them to absorb a lot of dmg, that might have hit someone else otherwise - or they can't, then nothing changes.

I’m not saying target caps don’t matter, what I’m saying is that if pet tanking damage was that strong then you could have untamed spamming their elite with bear pets spamming their invuln to just absorb the damage but we don’t see that.

3 hours ago, tykel.6073 said:

I’m not saying target caps don’t matter, what I’m saying is that if pet tanking damage was that strong then you could have untamed spamming their elite with bear pets spamming their invuln to just absorb the damage but we don’t see that.

Because the opportunity cost is too high. Ofc you don't bring a players just to absorb dmg.

8 hours ago, UmbraNoctis.1907 said:

Because the opportunity cost is too high. Ofc you don't bring a players just to absorb dmg.

Yes but if a class isn’t brought at all due to a core aspect of it’s design then that aspect should be addressed in some manner.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, tykel.6073 said:

Yes but if a class isn’t brought at all due to a core aspect of it’s design then that aspect should be addressed in some manner.

Correct. But addressing that would mean they would need to actually put some effort into fixing the class... And that would be a first in 9 years. 

5 minutes ago, anduriell.6280 said:

Correct. But addressing that would mean they would need to actually put some effort into fixing the class... And that would be a first in 9 years. 

Sure pets in wvw have gone largely unaddressed. The logic behind the damage reduction is that is easier than the type of changes that would be required to fix it “properly”. One potential change to balance this and any other pet problems out could be something like pets don’t count towards target caps or each skill has a separate pet only target cap. Could be harder to code but would help some with the odd interactions with rise and such while still letting the pets be buffed in so way to stick around.