Perilous Gift Change, Like or Dislike

Mell.4873

Perilous Gift: This skill no longer prevents lethal damage, and instead it prevents all incoming strike and condition damage for its duration.

I guess I could argue its a lot less powerful now that you cant get to 1 health then heal for 50% of your missing health. At the same time its more useful since you can cast it well before getting to low health to prevent a burst damage.

I believe it's far more powerful now, as you can still time it for when you get low but this time, you'll be immune to all damage instead of taking it to the 1HP point.

Basically, Perilous Gift before prevented lethal damage, but you could still take damage with it active, lessening its overall heal.  Now you can get the full heal at whatever point you trigger it at.  

That's in addition to what you point out, in that you could just trigger it at full health to have an instant invuln for a while.  Normally you have to invest for this, signet of stone, or stout pet--and that's only physical damage.  This is literally everything with no investment as you need a heal skill regardless.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mell.4873 said:

Perilous Gift: This skill no longer prevents lethal damage, and instead it prevents all incoming strike and condition damage for its duration.

I guess I could argue its a lot less powerful now that you cant get to 1 health then heal for 50% of your missing health. At the same time its more useful since you can cast it well before getting to low health to prevent a burst damage.

The updated skill is better in every scenario imaginable.

Let's go through some examples:

You are at 50% health when you activate it and are under heavy fire. The current version will make you drop to 1 hp, then heal you for 50% of your max health, so you are back up to 50% health. With the updated version, you are not dropping and stay at 50% health, then you get healed for 25% of your health (50% of your max health is missing, you get healed for half of it), so you go up to 75% health.

You are at 20% health, still under heavy fire. Current version takes you to 1 health, heals you back up to 50% of your max health. New version, you stay at 20% health, then you heal for 40% of your max health (80% max health missing, you heal for half of that), so you are now at 60% health.

50% health, just light attacks. Old version takes you down to 40% health, then heals you for 30%, you are at 70% now. New version heals you to 75%, as mentioned above.

I guess you get the idea. There is not a single scenario imaginable in which the new version is worse. At most, the new version and old version are equal, but that is just in a situation where you get not attacked at all while the buff is up. If you get hit by any attack during that time, the new version is ALWAYS better.

Edited by Kodama.6453
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

I believe it's far more powerful now, as you can still time it for when you get low but this time, you'll be immune to all damage instead of taking it to the 1HP point.

Basically, Perilous Gift before prevented lethal damage, but you could still take damage with it active, lessening its overall heal.  Now you can get the full heal at whatever point you trigger it at.  

That's in addition to what you point out, in that you could just trigger it at full health to have an instant invuln for a while.  Normally you have to invest for this, signet of stone, or stout pet--and that's only physical damage.  This is literally everything with no investment as you need a heal skill regardless.  

They mentioned you'll get a percentage based on your current health, not the full 33% as if you were at 1 HP.

2 hours ago, RainbowTurtle.3542 said:

They mentioned you'll get a percentage based on your current health, not the full 33% as if you were at 1 HP.

But the quintessence is that you will always end up at a higher health percentage after the heal triggers compared to the current version where damage still goes through.

No matter how low or high your health is, you will end up with more hp than with the current version.