A new thief asking for tips.

Mister R.4173

12 hours ago, Lithril Ashwalker.6230 said:

most def! were mostly dps class but can condi-alac/healalac/poweralac and have specific roles as well in certain encounters! we ARE the underdogs of the game! check my signature below my response, let me know if you want mentoring!

Thank you very much for the info! I am still in the process of leveling, though, what elite spec should I unlock first? I only have the first 2 expansions for now.

Whoa saw the post, an all thieves guild is fun to join! Hope I could join someday.

Edited by Totei.1829

10 minutes ago, Totei.1829 said:

Thank you very much for the info! I am still in the process of leveling, though, what elite spec should I unlock first? I only have the first 2 expansions for now.

Whoa saw the post, an all thieves guild is fun to join! Hope I could join someday.

What playstyle do u want? Melee/ranged? Power or condition (Damage over time? 

Sustained or chunk damage? 

What role? Dps/heal/support?

2 hours ago, Lithril Ashwalker.6230 said:

What playstyle do u want? Melee/ranged? Power or condition (Damage over time? 

Sustained or chunk damage? 

What role? Dps/heal/support?

I want range option if possible. I think Power is what I want.
Big bursts of damage!
DPS for now, maybe I will try support later when I learn the game abit more.

Edited by Totei.1829

1 hour ago, Totei.1829 said:

Thanks for the info! @Lithril Ashwalker.6230 and @Ivaldi.5076

anytime bud, we mentor, so with 5 guild limit per account we want you in! we need more things to teach!
Noody was my mentor for pvp and if not for me and a few others he'd still be on Guardian! he may come back!

before him Wild Bill was my main thief mentor!
so come join us and DoubleTap !

- another thing you might light is dual pistols with Maleficent Seven, you get perma initiative if you do it right, but not in wvw...youd have to use different utilities due the the cost split in wvw/spvp vs pve...but oh boy its so satisfying to use HOPE and laser pew pew all day 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Valisha.8650 said:

I would gear a ritualist Specter;

https://snowcrows.com/builds/thief/specter/condition-alacrity-spectre

A single gear set letting you switch between alac-dps and pure dps just by changing traits - According to snowcrows, you can easily do 30k+ without tryharding on Viper's gear.

dont push meta on a new player yet, theyll get into "the game is a chore"...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lithril Ashwalker.6230 said:

dont push meta on a new player yet, theyll get into "the game is a chore"...

I get what you're saying, but that's a really good baseline build for Specter. I think it has an appropriate level of mitigation and problem solving (I'd mess around with some traits and would sort out that Utility bar for general gameplay and WvW until I get into instances) and would be good to calibrate or tune myself to general gameplay. 

I definitely agree that they shouldn't pick up a meta build and try to jump right in to carrying that role right away though. You have a point that the build could become a pressure, if group leaders identify it in their group, to try to hold down a group slot and end up being a soured entry to being a thief.

Edited by kash.9213
  • Thanks 2

On 12/29/2022 at 12:12 AM, Valisha.8650 said:

I would gear a ritualist Specter;

https://snowcrows.com/builds/thief/specter/condition-alacrity-spectre

A single gear set letting you switch between alac-dps and pure dps just by changing traits - According to snowcrows, you can easily do 30k+ without tryharding on Viper's gear.

Thank you! I will look into it when I buy End of Dragons Expansion.

On 12/29/2022 at 11:53 AM, kash.9213 said:

I get what you're saying, but that's a really good baseline build for Specter. I think it has an appropriate level of mitigation and problem solving (I'd mess around with some traits and would sort out that Utility bar for general gameplay and WvW until I get into instances) and would be good to calibrate or tune myself to general gameplay. 

I definitely agree that they shouldn't pick up a meta build and try to jump right in to carrying that role right away though. You have a point that the build could become a pressure, if group leaders identify it in their group, to try to hold down a group slot and end up being a soured entry to being a thief.

We could use you in EcK!