More shared inventory and material storage?

Nimafor.1756

3 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

But don't the number of objects in the database make an impact?

Yes, but not in the way you think. "object" is an individual material type. So, a material storage slot. What we're talking about however is not the number of slots, but the value tied to each of those slots (quantity of material in that specific slot). And here what matters is just the size of database field holding that number. And it so happens that for 2500 and 4000 that size is exactly the same.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

With regard to materials storage: Materials are not unique. They are all the same when in storage. The only increasing factor is/are the number of decimal places in the count quantity.

Personal and soul/account-bound items are the biggest limiting factor since each items is unique per character/account. Each dye-able item will have it's color settings as well.

Edited by GamerOnline.3650
  • Haha 1

I would like more shared slots.  I would be happy to pay gems to convert a regular bag to a shared bag.  Now that I am maxed on shared slots, the gem store has nothing I want.    Sell me more shared slots (or my Heroes) and I will buy gems ha ha 😎

4 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Its just a number in a table in a database for each mat type. You store 1 additional unit, number goes +1.

Correct me if im wrong

I believe you are right.  The number of unique items makes for a bloated spreadsheet, but the quantity of each still takes up one block.  Storing a number as 100 or 1,000 should not add much work to the system.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Yes, but not in the way you think. "object" is an individual material type. So, a material storage slot. What we're talking about however is not the number of slots, but the value tied to each of those slots (quantity of material in that specific slot). And here what matters is just the size of database field holding that number. And it so happens that for 2500 and 4000 that size is exactly the same.

This.

Basically, if they wanted to make the most efficient use of space, they should have stopped at 2000 (technically 2047). Once they hit 2250, there's no additional cost to them to go up to 4000.

In short, the size a number occupies depends on how many digits it has in binary. 2048 is 2 raised to the 11th power, so it requires twelve bits of memory. 4000 is still less than 2^12, so it still requires twelve bits.

And this assumes that the system stores assigns individual bits instead of whole bytes. The reason you see 250 or 255 a lot, especially in older games, is because 255 is the largest value that can be stored in one byte. If the database can only assign whole bytes, they could go up to 2^16 - 1 without requiring any additional memory from a value that goes up to 256. If I've done my maths right, that means they might be able to go up to 65500 or so.

Now, whether they have other reasons to not want people to be able to store that much material on one account is another question.

Edited by draxynnic.3719
  • Like 2