True Creator of Bloodstone?

GroteDwerg.4752

Hello,

I am wondering what the origin is of Bloodstone. Currently it looks to me that the lore we got in GW1 clashes with the GW2 lore.

From GW1 manual

https://legal.guildwars.com/en/docs/gwp-manual.pdf

Book I: Chapter 130

As their final act,
the gods gathered back their gift of magic from all the

races and trapped it inside a tall stone. They smashed the
stone into five parts—four equal but opposing stones of
magic, and one keystone. Without the keystone, the other
four couldn’t be reassembled.

The gods told King Doric that since he had asked for
peace, he and his descendants must carry the burden
of protecting the stones. As an additional precaution,
they used a drop of King Doric’s blood to seal each of
the stones.
Then the stones were dropped, one by one, into the
volcano off the southern shore of the Kingdom of Kryta,
and the gods left this world forever, confident that they
had balanced out their gift and circumvented greed.

As is ever the case with peace, it once again came to an
end when the volcano erupted, spitting out the five
stones and scattering them across Tyria. The magic
they embodied seeped out into the lands around them.
Though the Bloodstones, as they are called, have never
been reunited, the power that they possess was enough to
re-ignite the desire for power in the hearts of men.

Then we got GW2 lore from the wiki:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Seer

The Seers were an enigmatic and magical race who were responsible for creating the original Bloodstone.

So I was under the impression the Gods created the Bloodstone and not the Seers, what's going on here?

Edited by GroteDwerg.4752

23 hours ago, GroteDwerg.4752 said:

Hello,

I am wondering what the origin is of Bloodstone. Currently it looks to me that the lore we got in GW1 clashes with the GW2 lore.

Yes, basically. It's a soft retcon through way of "human records were incorrect" - similar kind of situation as with the hidden existence of Abaddon, except this time the fault is on the humans not the gods messing with records.

The Seers created the Bloodstone from the world's magic, using still undefined "divine resources". The Six Gods, in the early years of their time on the planet, gathered many magical artifacts from the ancient races (presumably to learn of the world) and this included the Bloodstone. The gods decided to unleash magic from the Bloodstone, and this was the gift of magic that Abaddon was in charge of. Because humans had no real experience with magic outside of it being gifted by the gods on small scale (such as the events in the scriptures), they believed that the Six created magic, rather than simply unleashing it from the Bloodstone, and wrote their histories that way.

As Kalavier noted, the History of Tyria you quoted from the Prophecies manual is written from an in-universe human historian perspective. So it's subject to falsehoods - it's basically "what humans believe happened" rather than "what actually did happen". A lot of Guild Wars lore is written this way - both GW1 and GW2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Yes, basically. It's a soft retcon through way of "human records were incorrect" - similar kind of situation as with the hidden existence of Abaddon, except this time the fault is on the humans not the gods messing with records.

The Seers created the Bloodstone from the world's magic, using still undefined "divine resources". The Six Gods, in the early years of their time on the planet, gathered many magical artifacts from the ancient races (presumably to learn of the world) and this included the Bloodstone. The gods decided to unleash magic from the Bloodstone, and this was the gift of magic that Abaddon was in charge of. Because humans had no real experience with magic outside of it being gifted by the gods on small scale (such as the events in the scriptures), they believed that the Six created magic, rather than simply unleashing it from the Bloodstone, and wrote their histories that way.

As Kalavier noted, the History of Tyria you quoted from the Prophecies manual is written from an in-universe human historian perspective. So it's subject to falsehoods - it's basically "what humans believe happened" rather than "what actually did happen". A lot of Guild Wars lore is written this way - both GW1 and GW2.

So if the bloodstone already existed and the divine magic is undefined, could they be leading into a plot that links the bloodstone magic to the same thing in the current story? 

Perhaps splitting the stone diluted the magic enough to only make consumers go "crazed." Whereas here we are dealing with the potential source/origin point of the bloodstone. Could the magic of the bloodstone be what led to Abaddon's fall? Given how we're seeing examples of ordinary humans turn into Oni. 

40 minutes ago, Bast.7253 said:

So if the bloodstone already existed and the divine magic is undefined, could they be leading into a plot that links the bloodstone magic to the same thing in the current story?

I don't think it'll tie into the current story - at least not anytime soon. That tidbit was snuck in with Heart of Thorns, so the writers swapped out twice. But it does make me wonder how many other gods there may be out there, and the validity of the divinity of Tyria's other faiths like Koda, Zintl, Great Dwarf, etc.

I don't see any relation to Kanaxai/Oni madness though, since Season 3 in general established that too much magic led to insanity - what with the sad anomalies side story and PoF's bounties. That all seemed more tied (either intentionally always or added retroactively after players theorized it) to Torment and the Elder Dragons going insane from consuming too much conflicting magic.

Edited by Konig Des Todes.2086