WvW Suggestion: Allow Tome of Knowledge to increase WvW Rank.

SGao.4982

Engagement and time for a reward is an interesting problem.

I could certainly see some players who might look at the time it takes to get whatever reward they are after in WvW, see how long it would take them to get it, and decide to just not play at all (go for that reward), where as if the reward was half the time, they might go for it.  In that case, having that player play for that time is still better than not playing at all.

Then there are others who will play for that reward, no matter how long it takes, so shortening the reward means they will play WvW for less time.

Then there are those players who play WvW because they enjoy the game mode, rewards are secondary, so time to reward makes no difference.

Balancing these different demands is hard - if first approach (half the time for rewards) draws in twice as many players, things are still coming out ahead, if it only draws in 10% more players, then overall play time is decreased.  So figuring out the ideal balance takes some experimentation.

While I would like more WvW levels, I don't complain that the Tomes don't give it.  But I do find it out that they are given as a reward on a lot of reward tracks, but have no use for those in WvW.  Yes, they can get turned into other materials, and those materials then turned into something else, that can then get sold, but at that amount of effort, I'd rather be playing the game than going through some long process.  Just giving them a reasonable vendor value would be reasonable.

13 hours ago, Solvar.7953 said:

Engagement and time for a reward is an interesting problem.

I could certainly see some players who might look at the time it takes to get whatever reward they are after in WvW, see how long it would take them to get it, and decide to just not play at all (go for that reward), where as if the reward was half the time, they might go for it.  In that case, having that player play for that time is still better than not playing at all.

Then there are others who will play for that reward, no matter how long it takes, so shortening the reward means they will play WvW for less time.

Then there are those players who play WvW because they enjoy the game mode, rewards are secondary, so time to reward makes no difference.

Balancing these different demands is hard - if first approach (half the time for rewards) draws in twice as many players, things are still coming out ahead, if it only draws in 10% more players, then overall play time is decreased.  So figuring out the ideal balance takes some experimentation.

While I would like more WvW levels, I don't complain that the Tomes don't give it.  But I do find it out that they are given as a reward on a lot of reward tracks, but have no use for those in WvW.  Yes, they can get turned into other materials, and those materials then turned into something else, that can then get sold, but at that amount of effort, I'd rather be playing the game than going through some long process.  Just giving them a reasonable vendor value would be reasonable.

The problem here is all three of those group of players are now going for the same wvw reward, legendary armor. Ascended gear isn't good enough for them anymore since legendaries were made account wide. And the other rewards are not exclusive enough, not fancy enough(skins), or useful enough in other areas of the game.

So now we have a clash between veterans who have accepted the time gate from the beginning as the payment to earn the rewards, and some are even sitting with fully completed sets and stockpiles of tickets with nothing to do with it. Then you have casuals who come into the mode, don't care for the mode, they just want the pillage it for the armor asap, and don't care about the long term effects of their requests because they don't want to, don't care to be in the mode long term.

This whole tome idea is the same thing, speed up progression with no regard for it's long term after effects to the game mode. Yes the most logical thing to do, would be to make a worthwhile exchange, the same goes for a few other useless wvw currencies. But again, the tomes have one purpose, to level your characters, when you're done leveling, turn them into spirit shards, if you don't need those then destroy the tomes and move on.

If there was a currency exchange, and again it might be better as a spirit shard exchange, add in something that doesn't seem like a free handout. Enable the vendor to offer items that would help the WvW player acquire their levels. Examples:

• Hero's Banner - Allows players to get more boosts for what they do
  • Food/Utility Primers - Helps the player to get a food/utility boost for longer making it more likely not to run out during a fight
  • WvW Superior Siege - Allows players to be more active in taking or defending and is better than standard siege making them more effective
  • WvW WxP Temp Boost - Same effect as the Experience Booster but for 5 min durations that stack - again makes players actions drive gain
  • Currency Exchanges - ToK to MoBs (Ratio 'x' to 1), ToK to BoH (Ratio 1 to 'x'), MoBs alone can be sold to help a player acquire the T6 mats they need for the crafting portion of the armor acquisition 
  • Scribe Bundles - ToK to Boxes of materials allowing the player to scribe for items they need for WvW (banners, guild siege, tactics, writs)

Aka things that may boost the players own actions but don't give out free WvW levels. I say this even as I am not at 10K rank and yes taking a look at gw2efficency I stopped counting at 3K ToKs after checking the first toons. As others have stated yes you get a bump in pips which is good, but there is nothing to spend the WvW points on after you max out at 1226, which is a completely different thread that we won't OT here but has been on the forums in the past.

Edited by TheGrimm.5624
edit bullets