Question about running a "main" (pve)

Joxer.6024

Ok, so yea, I know this game is very alt-centric and that having different classes can be a plus. But what if you are one of the folks that just likes to focus on playing one class, and playing it well, like me? 

What class seems best suited for this? I am not a fan of playing support, just not my vibe, so am thinking perhaps Virtuoso would be a good fit, being that you can be either power or condi depending on the fight? SB is strong and I do see them in almost every fight on GW2Wingman logs, and they are fun, just dont see alot of condi ones so is the power one just that good? Then there is Thief, DD actually that I do see alot of and strong as in both power and condi. 

Other than those I dont see alot of choices, for me that is. Ele is just not me in any way so yea, does anyone else play this way and if so with what? Or do most have the many classes and builds? Just so much work to manage all those one would think. 

Oh and i should mention I do alot of the open world\meta event sort of thing so something that is strong there is also a factor. So far my biggest success has been with SB but am keen to give DD a go but have seen mixed responses in how they are in open world stuffs. 

It would just be great if all I had to do with the class i play is swap gear and build, like from power to condi, that would be ideal. But then is it for the game?

having alts is just better. if you want to fulfill different roles, you would want different builds. each character has 2 free equipment slot, so to have 4 builds at hand i need to either buy 2 more slots with gem or get second character which is free to a point.

aside of that, if you want just dps class which is strong in power and condi, virtuoso is first i thought about, easy rotation on both.

as a bonus, you can slot great sword mirage as third build, to get best open world farmer in game. it will not have biggest damage, but will be enough and will give you most gold out of events + mesmer utility.

4 minutes ago, Polar.8634 said:

having alts is just better. if you want to fulfill different roles, you would want different builds. each character has 2 free equipment slot, so to have 4 builds at hand i need to either buy 2 more slots with gem or get second character which is free to a point.

aside of that, if you want just dps class which is strong in power and condi, virtuoso is first i thought about, easy rotation on both.

as a bonus, you can slot great sword mirage as third build, to get best open world farmer in game. it will not have biggest damage, but will be enough and will give you most gold out of events + mesmer utility.

Yea, just the direction I went, seemed to just fit best with what I am looking for, and the having the Mirage build makes great sense! I was thinking of stepping into PVP at some point since its an area of the game I havent done but man o man I am seeing some ugly thing about Virt and pvp. Ah well, cant have it all can we?

Cheers! 😉

Just now, Joxer.6024 said:

Yea, just the direction I went, seemed to just fit best with what I am looking for, and the having the Mirage build makes great sense! I was thinking of stepping into PVP at some point since its an area of the game I havent done but man o man I am seeing some ugly thing about Virt and pvp. Ah well, cant have it all can we?

Cheers! 😉

oh, also late thought, you can delay making power virt. it is good, but condi virt burst is so good, it is also good in fights which prefer power. do as you want ofc just saying you dont need to blow all your gold immideatelly

9 minutes ago, Polar.8634 said:

oh, also late thought, you can delay making power virt. it is good, but condi virt burst is so good, it is also good in fights which prefer power. do as you want ofc just saying you dont need to blow all your gold immideatelly

ah thanks for that! While i do have the gear already just good to know that condi is that strong, seems to be the better choice for open as well, and it is fun!  😉

1 hour ago, Joxer.6024 said:

oh lets hope not! Im speaking just for me but i know that the majority of the playerbase wouldnt like that, so Anet no.

But that's true. Their intent has always been that players don't need a specific class in their group. It's players that corrupt the idea by focusing on the most efficient professions/builds. The truth is that if today you want to be the healer of your group you can do it with any profession but most players will  discard the most excentric and wasteful choices (nonetheless, it's doable).

At the moment only alac and quick roles can't be done by every profession, most profession will only be able to fill a single of those roles (these and the stab/aegis role that the devs carefully choose to forget...).

Edited by Dadnir.5038
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Joxer.6024 said:

Ok, so yea, I know this game is very alt-centric and that having different classes can be a plus. But what if you are one of the folks that just likes to focus on playing one class, and playing it well, like me? 

What class seems best suited for this? I am not a fan of playing support, just not my vibe, so am thinking perhaps Virtuoso would be a good fit, being that you can be either power or condi depending on the fight? SB is strong and I do see them in almost every fight on GW2Wingman logs, and they are fun, just dont see alot of condi ones so is the power one just that good? Then there is Thief, DD actually that I do see alot of and strong as in both power and condi. 

Other than those I dont see alot of choices, for me that is. Ele is just not me in any way so yea, does anyone else play this way and if so with what? Or do most have the many classes and builds? Just so much work to manage all those one would think. 

Oh and i should mention I do alot of the open world\meta event sort of thing so something that is strong there is also a factor. So far my biggest success has been with SB but am keen to give DD a go but have seen mixed responses in how they are in open world stuffs. 

It would just be great if all I had to do with the class i play is swap gear and build, like from power to condi, that would be ideal. But then is it for the game?

You can also try Guardian for different builds. Can do Healer (Healbrands) QDPS (Condi Quickness FB) Power Builds (Willbender and Dragonhunter) and Condi Build DPS (Condi Willbender and Condi DPS FB). Not to mention it is also viable in WvW zerging and PvP.

Focusing on a single character/class is also my dilemma since I started playing this game. But I ended up playing 4 different classes just to have an idea of how different class works. (This is helpful specially in PvP) and also I dont want to spend extra gems just to have an extra slot for crafting masteries since you can only have 2 crafting masteries per character. 

As of now, I do have my so called "main" just to focus on the story progression.

• Like 1