Can i link my account to steam?

I wonder if I can link my account to steam so the expansions I buy from steam is playable from the client or otherwise. I bought 2 expansions from the website and now I want to play those with my account on steam and but the third one from there but I wonder if there is or if there will be a way to link my account to steam

If you buy the game via ArenaNet you need to buy expansions from ArenaNet or any authorized retailers.

If you buy the game on steam you have to buy expansions via steam.

You cannot merge ArenaNet accounts with Steam-based GW2 accounts.

I recommend buying GW2 as ArenaNet account because it supports linking to a Guild Wars 1 account for Hall of Monuments (HoM) rewards. However, you may want to select Steam if you care about Steam rewards and don't care about the HoM.

Just now, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

If you buy the game via ArenaNet you need to buy expansions from ArenaNet or any authorized retailers.

If you buy the game on steam you have to buy expansions via steam.

You cannot merge ArenaNet accounts with Steam-based GW2 accounts.

I recommend buying GW2 as ArenaNet account because it supports linking to a Guild Wars 1 account for Hall of Monuments (HoM) rewards. However, you may want to select Steam if you care about Steam rewards and don't care about the HoM.

The thing is that in the country that I live in (Turkey), steam has pricing for my money currency and I cant buy the expansion with euro because its too expensive. So I wanted to buy it from steam and play it but Im sad that I cant merge it, is there any chance that it will come?

45 minutes ago, KipCamm.7189 said:

The thing is that in the country that I live in (Turkey), steam has pricing for my money currency and I cant buy the expansion with euro because its too expensive. So I wanted to buy it from steam and play it but Im sad that I cant merge it, is there any chance that it will come?

For financial and legal reasons, I don't see any chance that you will be able to add steam keys (steam GW2 expansions) to your ArenaNet GW2 account.

Reason is that Steam takes a bite out of any sales on Steam accounts which is not the case for ArenaNet accounts. Mixing them up creates administrative issues for ArenaNet.

If you want to take advantage of lower Steam prices in your currency, you should create a new GW2 account on Steam and buy the expansions there. But then you will not have any account progress that you already have on your ArenaNet account.

Currency purchasing power issues should be addressed by the relevant authorities.

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

For financial and legal reasons, I don't see any chance that you will be able to add steam keys (steam GW2 expansions) to your ArenaNet GW2 account.

Reason is that Steam takes a bite out of any sales on Steam accounts which is not the case for ArenaNet accounts. Mixing them up creates administrative issues for ArenaNet.

If you want to take advantage of lower Steam prices in your currency, you should create a new GW2 account on Steam and buy the expansions there. But then you will not have any account progress that you already have on your ArenaNet account.

Currency purchasing power issues should be addressed by the relevant authorities.

By doing this you can still login to your anet account for passive income from login and extra daily rewards if you like OP

• 1 year later...

I only use the arenanet launcher since today but I think about using my steam deck to play GW2. Connecting my account with steam would be much easier then. But I'm worried about the way I can use GW2 after this merge. Am I still able to get back to the own Arenanet launcher after that? Or is the merge a point of "no return".

Edited by DaJux.1549
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DaJux.1549 said:

I only use the arenanet launcher since today but I think about using my steam deck to play GW2. Connecting my account with steam would be much easier then. But I'm worried about the way I can use GW2 after this merge. Am I still able to get back to the own Arenanet launcher after that? Or is the merge a point of "no return".

You can't merge an anet account with a steam account and you also can't change an anet account into a steam account (also you can't buy expansions for your anet account in the steam store). The only thing you can do is using "-provider Portal" to access your anet account via steam. So no, there is no risk to change your anet account into a steam account.

• Like 2