Game Crashing Constantly with memory errors [Resolved - Odd DIMM match anomaly]

Hello there.

System Specs:

• AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • NVidia EVGA RTX 3080 (v531.68 - ReBAR Enabled)
  • 64 GB RAM (DOCP Enabled - Passed 24 hour MemTest86 with 4 passes)
  • Two 4K displays - One in landscape, one in portrait.

Ever since the D11 changes, my game has become very unstable and it is the only game I play on this system that crashes or has any issues. After months of clicking "Send Error Report to ANET" with as much helpful detail as I could and seeing no fixes, I am coming here hoping someone else has seen this issue and has a solution. In an act of desperation for just this game, I completely reformatted my system and kept nothing OS or system related. Installing only a mouse and keyboard and the Nvidia drivers, the game still crashes every 10-15 minutes. And this is just idling in Mistlock Sanctuary.

The last error I got was:

*--> Crash <--*
Exception: c0000005 
Memory at address ffffffff`ffffffff could not be read
App: Gw2-64.exe 
Pid: 13940
BaseAddr: 00007FF68D5F0000
ProgramId: 101
Build: 144604
When: 2023-04-21T00:52:30Z 2023-04-20T17:52:30-07:00
Uptime:   0 days  0:13:02
Flags: 0
DumpFile: Crash.dmp

*--> Error Logs <--*
00:40:15Z The user closed the browser.
00:40:15Z The browser is being closed.
00:40:15Z We are requesting CEF close the browser when the user closed the browser.
00:40:15Z The user closed the browser.
00:40:15Z CEF is closing the browser.
00:40:24Z The user closed the browser.
00:40:24Z The browser is being closed.
00:40:24Z We are requesting CEF close the browser when the user closed the browser.
00:40:24Z CEF is closing the browser.
00:40:25Z NULL REWARD TRACK: E2CBC88C-8464-E111-809D-78E7D1936EF0
00:40:25Z NULL REWARD TRACK: E2CBC88C-8464-E111-809D-78E7D1936EF0
00:40:27Z Model '0x039279': Permutation 'w' not found, auto selecting permutation
00:40:38Z The user closed the browser.
00:40:38Z The browser is being closed.
00:40:38Z We are requesting CEF close the browser when the user closed the browser.
00:40:38Z CEF is closing the browser.
00:50:11Z Couldn't find projectile effect for skill 'my6yp.Tq2bq'
00:50:16Z Material '0x034fc5' is missing textures.
00:50:16Z Material '0x034fc5' is missing textures.
Crashed at 00:52:30Z

Other errors have shown files on a D:\ drive that I don't even have. Other reference Nvidia drivers, but not always.

Searching reddit and the internet at large has a bunch of recommendations to shut down or alter background applications and overlays, but on a completely clean system, none of those things apply.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by digitalruse.9085
Update title to show resolved

14 minutes ago, digitalruse.9085 said:

64 GB RAM (DOCP Enabled - Passed 24 hour MemTest86 with 4 passes)

How do you have it configured though?  I set everything to auto but set the RAM speed manually because otherwise my Ryzen system displays some instability.

Any power savings settings occurring?  If it's so new/redone, doesn't mean it can't still be a configuration issue.  On top of that, Windows has an outstanding TPM issue going on for AMD mobos.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Confused 1

Well... this has been one of the more interesting troubleshooting experiences I've dealt with personally and professionally.

As I went further and further down the memory error google search rabbit hole, I came across a conversation about someone having a similar issue (but not with GW2). In their case, it turned out that while the DDR4 DIMMs were from the same manufacturer they weren't made by the same OEM; some were Samsung memory chips and some were Hynix. Their issue went away as soon as the DIMMs were all made by the same OEM.

I pulled out all my DIMMs (thankfully G.Skill labels all their DIMMs so this is easy to find and decode) and sure enough: 2 were Samsung and 2 were Micron. Now, mercifully, my wife and I have identical rigs. So, I pulled her RAM and 2 of hers were Samsung and 2 were Micron as well. As soon as I matched up so all 4 DIMMs were the same "batch" all the issues went away.

Super weird, but GW2 is humming now with full DOCP and ReBAR support and 70-100 frames at 4K. (World boss and WvW pirate ship FPS need not apply.)

Edited by digitalruse.9085
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

I uninstalled the game.  The issue isn't hardware related, as it only recently started happening.  But I cannot do anything mildly intense in the game without it crashing.  It's a very new problem, and it happens on both my Desktop and my Laptop.  I cannot be bothered anymore.  It's just crashing every time a boss does a an AOE skill or something.

As long as I'm just sitting in town twiddling my thumbs, or doing light open world stuff without many people on the screen, it's fine.  The minute I go do a world event and the boss does a bit skill, it crashes instantly.

It has something to do with the effects, etc. that is happening in the game.  I'm not sure if it's related to DX11 or what.  I'm not sure if it's just triggered by an Nvidia driver update.  I did try running Studio Drivers, and it does the same thing.  I don't care enough to play anymore.  I have other games that work without issue.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Tren.5120 said:

The issue isn't hardware related, as it only recently started happening

I don't understand coming to another person's thread where they clearly found the issue was a weird hardware thing and making this declaration.  Open another thread for your specific issue?

Bugs can have many variables that affect them.  In this case the fact that his DIMMs were from two different batches despite being the "same" cause an extremely rare issue that the game triggered.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, digitalruse.9085 said:

Well... this has been one of the more interesting troubleshooting experiences I've dealt with personally and professionally.

As I went further and further down the memory error google search rabbit hole, I came across a conversation about someone having a similar issue (but not with GW2). In their case, it turned out that while the DDR4 DIMMs were from the same manufacturer they weren't made by the same OEM; some were Samsung memory chips and some were Hynix. Their issue went away as soon as the DIMMs were all made by the same OEM.

I pulled out all my DIMMs (thankfully G.Skill labels all their DIMMs so this is easy to find and decode) and sure enough: 2 were Samsung and 2 were Micron. Now, mercifully, my wife and I have identical rigs. So, I pulled her RAM and 2 of hers were Samsung and 2 were Micron as well. As soon as I matched up so all 4 DIMMs were the same "batch" all the issues went away.

Super weird, but GW2 is humming now with full DOCP and ReBAR support and 70-100 frames at 4K. (World boss and WvW pirate ship FPS need not apply.)

Glad to hear you got it sorted out! 

This reminds me of an issue I ran in to when I got more memory which I just added to my PC without touching the older ones. These were basically identical two module memory sets (G.Skill Ripjaws) that I bought few years apart. At first it worked fine but then started randomly detecting only half of the memory capacity in BIOS. Thru trial and error I found out that the correct working order was the newer batch memory sticks in the recommended 1st and 2nd slots and the older batch modules in 3rd and 4th. Live and learn I guess. Didn't know the exact reason for it but now I do so thank you for the explanation.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2023 at 9:54 PM, Chaba.5410 said:

I don't understand coming to another person's thread where they clearly found the issue was a weird hardware thing and making this declaration.  Open another thread for your specific issue?

Bugs can have many variables that affect them.  In this case the fact that his DIMMs were from two different batches despite being the "same" cause an extremely rare issue that the game triggered.

Because it happens on both my Desktop and my Laptop, and it's absolutely not a PSU issue.

If it were a PSU issue, it wouldn't be happening with ONLY ONE GAME< when I have like 20 games installed on my desktop - some far more intense than this one - and none of them cause my PC to crash or BSoD/Reboot.

I can render 4K video in DaVinci Resolve on my laptop for an hour and it will never crash or BSOD with practically full load on the CPU and GPU.  Same with my desktop.  This never happens.

I load GW2 and go to a world event, and the minute the boss does a knockdown skill, the entire PC (both of them) freezes and bug checks/reboots.

I have switched out my GPU (3070 Ti <-> RX 5700 XT), PSU, swapped memory chips, replaced my AIO cooler (yes, it's installed correctly), and uninstalled almost every headset and peripheral that requires a driver (SteelSeries, Logitech, etc.).  It is not a hardware issue.  It's a game client issue.

And yes, I have done all that - literally.

If I had a hardware issue, it's extremely improbable that GW2 is the only game that would trigger it...  Nothing happens unless this specific game is running on those computers.

Edited by Tren.5120
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Tren.5120 said:

Because it happens on both my Desktop and my Laptop, and it's absolutely not a PSU issue.

If it were a PSU issue, it wouldn't be happening with ONLY ONE GAME< when I have like 20 games installed on my desktop - some far more intense than this one - and none of them cause my PC to crash or BSoD/Reboot.

I can render 4K video in DaVinci Resolve on my laptop for an hour and it will never crash or BSOD with practically full load on the CPU and GPU.  Same with my desktop.  This never happens.

I load GW2 and go to a world event, and the minute the boss does a knockdown skill, the entire PC (both of them) freezes and bug checks/reboots.

I have switched out my GPU (3070 Ti <-> RX 5700 XT), PSU, swapped memory chips, replaced my AIO cooler (yes, it's installed correctly), and uninstalled almost every headset and peripheral that requires a driver (SteelSeries, Logitech, etc.).  It is not a hardware issue.  It's a game client issue.

And yes, I have done all that - literally.

If I had a hardware issue, it's extremely improbable that GW2 is the only game that would trigger it...  Nothing happens unless this specific game is running on those computers.

What?  I'm still confused by why you comment on this thread rather than start a new one for the specific problem you are having.  Your issue doesn't have anything to do with the DIMM mix up the OP here had.  It doesn't even seem like you are getting the same generic Windows memory read error he did.

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

What?  I'm still confused by why you comment on this thread rather than start a new one for the specific problem you are having.  Your issue doesn't have anything to do with the DIMM mix up the OP here had.  It doesn't even seem like you are getting the same generic Windows memory read error he did.

The memory read error can happen if an application bugs out and corrupts memory.  It isn't a hardware-related error message de facto, Lol.

Corrupted memory happens all the time in software, and causes crashes.

Edited by Tren.5120
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Tren.5120 said:

The memory read error can happen if

*Can* doesn't mean it did.  That's a generic Windows error that doesn't point to any one specific cause.  And the OP reported that his issue was fixed when he matched up the DIMMs, literally de facto ("As soon as I matched up so all 4 DIMMs were the same "batch" all the issues went away.").  I'm not saying it's never the software, I'm saying in this case posted it was absolutely the hardware.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/24/2023 at 2:21 PM, digitalruse.9085 said:

Consider changing the title of your thread to include [Solved]. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am having similar issues. Game crashes after a few minutes even if I am just chilling in a town. I've already disabled every overlay, disabled every startup process and restart my system with a clean boot. I've repaired the game and reinstalled it. Nothing has worked, AND other games that I play aren't having these issues.
Copy of my error log:
*--> Error Logs <--*
21:53:37Z The user closed the browser.
21:53:37Z The browser is being closed.
21:53:37Z We are requesting CEF close the browser when the user closed the browser.
21:53:37Z CEF is closing the browser.
21:54:07Z The user closed the browser.
21:54:07Z The browser is being closed.
21:54:07Z We are requesting CEF close the browser when the user closed the browser.
21:54:07Z CEF is closing the browser.
21:54:08Z NULL REWARD TRACK: 8E8D52F8-CE27-E311-8757-78E7D1936222
21:54:11Z Model '0x039279': Permutation 'w' not found, auto selecting permutation
21:54:14Z Model '0x2d8533': Permutation 'stoweda' not found, auto selecting permutation
21:54:19Z The user closed the browser.
21:54:19Z The browser is being closed.
21:54:19Z We are requesting CEF close the browser when the user closed the browser.
21:54:19Z CEF is closing the browser.
21:54:34Z Model '0x204f6e': Permutation 'holo' not found, auto selecting permutation
21:54:37Z The user closed the browser.
21:54:37Z The browser is being closed.
21:54:37Z We are requesting CEF close the browser when the user closed the browser.
21:54:37Z CEF is closing the browser.
21:55:24Z The user closed the browser.
21:55:24Z The browser is being closed.
21:55:24Z We are requesting CEF close the browser when the user closed the browser.
21:55:24Z CEF is closing the browser.
21:55:30Z Model '0x204f6e': Permutation 'holo' not found, auto selecting permutation
21:55:31Z The user closed the browser.
21:55:31Z The browser is being closed.
21:55:31Z We are requesting CEF close the browser when the user closed the browser.
21:55:31Z CEF is closing the browser.
Crashed at 21:57:15Z

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Stygal.8517 said:

I am having similar issues. Game crashes after a few minutes even if I am just chilling in a town. I've already disabled every overlay, disabled every startup process and restart my system with a clean boot. I've repaired the game and reinstalled it. Nothing has worked, AND other games that I play aren't having these issues.
Copy of my error log:
*--> Error Logs <--*
21:53:37Z The browser is being closed.
21:53:37Z We are requesting CEF close the browser when the user closed the browser.
21:53:37Z CEF is closing the browser.
21:54:07Z The user closed the browser.
21:54:07Z The browser is being closed.
21:54:07Z We are requesting CEF close the browser when the user closed the browser.
21:54:07Z CEF is closing the browser.
21:54:11Z Model '0x039279': Permutation 'w' not found, auto selecting permutation
21:54:14Z Model '0x2d8533': Permutation 'stoweda' not found, auto selecting permutation
21:54:19Z The user closed the browser.
21:54:19Z The browser is being closed.
21:54:19Z We are requesting CEF close the browser when the user closed the browser.
21:54:19Z CEF is closing the browser.
21:54:34Z Model '0x204f6e': Permutation 'holo' not found, auto selecting permutation
21:54:37Z The user closed the browser.
21:54:37Z The browser is being closed.
21:54:37Z We are requesting CEF close the browser when the user closed the browser.
21:54:37Z CEF is closing the browser.
21:55:24Z The user closed the browser.
21:55:24Z The browser is being closed.
21:55:24Z We are requesting CEF close the browser when the user closed the browser.
21:55:24Z CEF is closing the browser.
21:55:30Z Model '0x204f6e': Permutation 'holo' not found, auto selecting permutation
21:55:31Z The user closed the browser.
21:55:31Z The browser is being closed.
21:55:31Z We are requesting CEF close the browser when the user closed the browser.
21:55:31Z CEF is closing the browser.
Crashed at 21:57:15Z

This isn't the whole crash log.  This is a lot of debug log data that is generated by CEF.

Crash logs can be found in %AppData%/Guild Wars2.

By "similar" do you mean you are getting this error:
"Exception: c0000005 
Memory at address ffffffff`ffffffff could not be read"

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

This isn't the whole crash log.  This is a lot of debug log data that is generated by CEF.

Crash logs can be found in %AppData%/Guild Wars2.

By "similar" do you mean you are getting this error:
"Exception: c0000005 
Memory at address ffffffff`ffffffff could not be read"

The whole log is huge, I copied a similar portion. I know this has to do with difficulties with memory, but I would assume other games would also have issues, not just GW2.
In terms of what error:

*--> Crash <--*
Exception: c0000005  
Memory at address 00000000`01000000 could not be read
App: Gw2-64.exe 
Pid: 3456
BaseAddr: 00007FF7A77E0000
ProgramId: 101
Build: 136081
Module: nvwgf2umx.dll
When: 2022-10-20T05:27:43Z 2022-10-19T22:27:43-07:00
Uptime:   0 days  2:02:28
Flags: 0
DumpFile: Crash.dmp

Edited by Stygal.8517
Updated post

2 hours ago, Stygal.8517 said:

I know this has to do with difficulties with memory, but I would assume other games would also have issues, not just GW2

It doesn't always relate to a difficulty specifically with memory.  The error only says there's something interfering with the data read from memory and it isn't sure what.  Anti-virus software could even interfere if it's doing real time scanning of calls to memory.

Anyway, the info from what you provided shows the crashing module was an Nvidia library.  Every game uses these subsystems (and your CPU) in ways different from each other.  From that standpoint one could say it's a specific game, but the game may still only be serving as a trigger for something else that's failing.

Also, please provide the latest crash log.  I bet the new crashes are a different reason.  🙂

Edited by Chaba.5410

• digitalruse.9085 changed the title to Game Crashing Constantly with memory errors [Resolved - Odd DIMM match anomaly]