I think I'm missing something with FB builds.

Ataxia Jack.8619

So, I've been reading through wikis, forums, builds (metabattle, Snow Crows) and I have to say, I'm finding this Fire Brand play style to be super overwhelming. Maybe I'm just feeling my age, or maybe I've been away for too long from GW2, or any MMOs for that matter. I just feel like it's too much to be managed compared to the core and HoT builds and/or how I used to play. Now, I know I could go play what I want or get better - but I was just wondering if there are others who feel/felt the same way. I admit I didn't comb through the forums looking for comments, but that's also because I was more interested in the current perspective(s).

Anyway, I think I rambled enough. Would love to hear folks' thoughts!

• Confused 1

Ye it can be very overwhelming if you just started or returned.

Personally, to alleviate these OCD/anxiety/worries, Ive been taking Liberator's Vow/Weighty Terms since Feb 2023 patch, I just need to spam within a good range of targets and thats really it for Mantra skills.
I regularly drop Tome 2 Skill 4 for an AoE heal on my team. and then its just unga bunga Tome 1 Condi time.

Obviously not that simple for optimization, but its how I dealt with the "wait what am I doing"/

Edited by MercurialKuroSludge.8974
  • Like 1

Maybe you could explain a bit what kind of content you are looking for, which game mode and which build, role. It would be a lot easier to give some advice. Becuase FB is very good pretty much everywhere but spvp and even there the devs are trying to get it into the meta.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Maybe you could explain a bit what kind of content you are looking for, which game mode and which build, role. It would be a lot easier to give some advice. Becuase FB is very good pretty much everywhere but spvp and even there the devs are trying to get it into the meta.

PvE; dungeons, fractals - that's the content I was hoping to get back into. I generally play support roles; I've been messing around with the quickness/condition FB recently. 

Firebrand was a relatively intuitive class to play until recently. Since December 2022, unnecessarily complicated changes to the tomes and mantras have made it considerably harder to pick up and track resources. It's still incredibly versatile, but DPS, support, and hybrid/boon support all play a bit differently from each other and manage tomes and playstyle differently. Which roles are you trying to tackle?

For support, you can generally stick to your weapon skills and throw in a few skills from Tome of Justice when needed, but keep most of your pages for Tomes 2 and 3. I find Tome of Courage-Skill 5 and Tome of Resolve-Skills 5 and 4 most useful. Bow of Truth and Mantras of Solace, Potence, and Liberation are staples. Burn all charges of Potence and recharge whenever available. Cast Solace every 8s but don't use the last charge. Use Liberation only as necessary. Purging Flames is great too as DPS support and condi cleanse. If you need to provide more quickness for your group, trade Liberation for Feel My Wrath and Purging Flames for Stand your Ground. 

• Haha 1

You can always start without using tomes, I see some hfbs do this in t4 fractals often enough. When you get comfortable with weapons and utilities, start checking out what the tomes do.

If you are using axe like in meta heal builds, I suggest you switch it with mace. And if you have minstrel stats, I'd use those for a start. Later on you can try more optimal versions, once you know which skills to use when.

If you want to use tomes early on, I suggest starting with F2 -> 2 to cleanse condis from your party, F2 -> 4 if your party needs heavy healing and is stationary, F3 -> 5 for stability, F3 -> for projectile hate.

Overall the tome rework made the gameplay really simple (and it was not complicated before), you barely have to think about CD management anymore.

Edited by Hotride.2187