Gem redeem

Hello,

I was gifted a Gem card for GW2 from amazon. I tried to redeem on the black lion hub but the button is greyed out and says to log online to do it. I tried to do it online and it wont accept the code as its 5 characters too short. 

For reference I have the steam version of the game. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hornet.2094 said:

Hello,

I was gifted a Gem card for GW2 from amazon. I tried to redeem on the black lion hub but the button is greyed out and says to log online to do it. I tried to do it online and it wont accept the code as its 5 characters too short. 

For reference I have the steam version of the game. 

You can't use gem cards with Steam.

From the Knowledge Base: 

Can I add gem codes to my Guild Wars 2 Steam account?

No, gem card codes cannot be redeemed in-game (or on the site) for Guild Wars 2 accounts that were created on Steam. If this changes, the information will be updated here.

You can hold onto the Gem Card, or give it back to the one who gifted it to you.

https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053416353-Steam-FAQ

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hornet.2094 said:

Okay but that doesn't really solve anything? So what, im out a whole gift card because it wont work?

More or less. The ArenaNet and Steam versions have separated sales because Steam wants to take a percentage of the sales. If you want a gems gift for a steam version you need a Steam gift card. See if the ArenaNet gem card can be returned or otherwise you may try if it is possible to add it to a friends account (ArenaNet account that is) and have the friend gift you some gemstore items that you like.

Edited by TheQuickFox.3826
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I will complicate this issue by pointing out that no where did I get a warning before buying Gem cards.. and I only purchased those because the 'purchase gems via steam wallet' function was not working.. at all.. after many tries.  I now have a balance in steam AND two gem cards that I cannot use to get gems.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/20/2023 at 5:42 PM, mokkum.4712 said:

I will complicate this issue by pointing out that no where did I get a warning before buying Gem cards.. and I only purchased those because the 'purchase gems via steam wallet' function was not working.. at all.. after many tries.  I now have a balance in steam AND two gem cards that I cannot use to get gems.

In every other game devs found a way around it, but anet must be "special" as usual.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2