Optimal solo build (including post-patch): Suggestions?

Antrix.4512

Hi there! ^_^

I've long come to terms with the fact that one cannot play GW2 strictly with a single class, despite my tendency to have a "main". However, given the game's alt-friendly environment, I've found the number of characters on my account growing steadily. In my case, the Necromancer was my first love, but for some reason, I pushed him aside early on (perhaps the initial boost to 80 level and my fascination with the specs trees art played a role, as I mentioned in one of my previous posts).

From there, I switched to a Staff Condi Mesmer, and open world became a walk in the park. Seeking some variety, I branched out to a Revenant (Condi Renegade) and then a Thief Scepter Specter, both of whom performed admirably in the OW. Especially the Thief, who sometimes had an easier time soloing champions than even my Mesmer, dunno how could it be tbh O_o

These three classes have made my OW experience quite laid back. Soloing most champions has been a breeze, and it seems you'd have to try very hard to fall in battle, especially as a Mesmer.

Now, I find myself yearning for a change. I regularly cycle through all of these characters - Mesmer unlocking Skyscale, Revenant exploring the Jade Empire, and Thief resolving both personal and world problems now. I've got an itch to resurrect my Necromancer and bring him back into the fold.

Unfortunately, my Necro is pretty much gearless (let's say - outdated) at the moment (although I do have a Marauder's and Celestial set, but I'm unsure if they'll be of use). Given the imminent "super mega balance" patch, I'm seeking a build that will provide a smooth and relaxed solo OW experience. My main focus is still on OW content, including soloing champions etc. What build/gear I should focus on? I don't want to waste my gold on gear, weapons, runes, and the like that might be useless after June 27th.

Or, considering the upcoming changes, should I let my Necromancer catch some more dust? Despite my dislike for PvP and rare engagements in Fractals and dungeons, I'm primarily looking for a viable solo OW build.

Thanks in advance for any advice and tips on this topic ❤️

P.S. Feel free to 'Confused' react to this post - we all know it's the unofficial forum language! 😁

Edited by Antrix.4512
  • Like 3

for a necro...

Marauder gear set is still good for power builds... like WvW roaming greatsword Reaper. (i only mentioned the name of the build for reference, )

Celestial is good for running any sort of condi build in OW, too. it's actually great for Scourge builds because they can take advantage of most of the stats.

These stats are actually also good for minion master builds too, because the minions pretty much have their own stats. MMs running celestial (a bit tanky and with conditions and power and buff and debuff duration boosts) is pretty much easy mode in OW.  Basic build is 1) death magic (for the minion traits) 2) blood magic (for the siphon traits) and then take your pick for 3: curses (for conditions) , spite (for power), soul reaping (for shroud buffs) , reaper (for melee shroud), Scourge (lose the shroud for more condi damage) pretty much any trait tree goes in the 3rd slot to specialize your minion master. 

my main necro actually runs builds based on both sets of your mentioned gear (among others of course)

You can also get more ideas for builds on Meta Battle and Guild Jen websites. they organize builds based on game mode, too, so you can see what is specific to what style of play if you decide you don't need a particular skill or trait.

• Like 3

@Forgotten Legend.9281 No, no, no, I probably didn't express myself correctly. I don't care about the sets that I have, one of them was a test (from the outdated guide), the Celestial one was given to me for a boost to the 80th level. I am looking for a good build for solo open world, which will remain relevant even after the patch. I have enough resources to buy 10 or even 20 sets, but still, I wouldn't want to waste money by experimenting myself with this and that. I would like a simple and stress-free game in OW from a necromancer if it's possible. And what needs to be bought for this doesn't matter (even if some rune doesn't sell on TP - I'll farm, it's just a matter of time).

Possibly (if it's feasible) my necromancer will be engaged in world completion, while the rest of his friends on the account are busy with their own matters 🙂

Edited by Antrix.4512
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

it's just 1 or 2 meme builds I came up with just for fun. The four in the first post is the best one tho.

Which of those four would be most suitable for Exotic gear? And how about the survivability of such build?

20 minutes ago, Antrix.4512 said:

@Forgotten Legend.9281 No, no, no, I probably didn't express myself correctly. I don't care about the sets that I have, one of them was a test (from the outdated guide), the Celestial one was given to me for a boost to the 80th level. I am looking for a good build for solo open world, which will remain relevant even after the patch. I have enough resources to buy 10 or even 20 sets, but still, I wouldn't want to waste money by experimenting myself with this and that. I would like a simple and stress-free game in OW from a necromancer if it's possible. And what needs to be bought for this doesn't matter (even if some rune doesn't sell on TP - I'll farm, it's just a matter of time).

Possibly (if it's feasible) my necromancer will be engaged in world completion, while the rest of his friends on the account are busy with their own matters 🙂

i think you didn't understand ME.... 

1) minion master builds are easy modes for open world: just like what you asked for

2) stats for minion master builds don't matter, except for specializing into exactly how YOU want to play.

3) the stat combos you mentioned are just fine for OW in exotic quality. (celestial on a necro gives you decent survivablity and damage.) you don't need to get new sets if you don't want to,  but by all means feel free to experiment and build how you want to.

4) for open world, you don't need to run any of the raid meta builds, so again, stats don't matter.

5) i only talked about the stats you have because they already fulfil what you asked for. Celesital minion master is about the easiest, least stress build i've ever played in OW.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Arianth Moonlight.6453 said:

the fourth. You won't have 100% crit. chance exactly but close enough.

that's 100% based on your own skill. OW is easy enough tho.

Sure thing that everything depends on skill. However, in that context, you could say the same about the weakest profession/spec - in skilled hands it will survive reasonably well in OW, but will the gameplay be comfortable? That's exactly what I was talking about initially.

• Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Forgotten Legend.9281 said:

i think you didn't understand ME.... 

1) minion master builds are easy modes for open world: just like what you asked for

2) stats for minion master builds don't matter, except for specializing into exactly how YOU want to play.

3) the stat combos you mentioned are just fine for OW in exotic quality. (celestial on a necro gives you decent survivablity and damage.) you don't need to get new sets if you don't want to,  but by all means feel free to experiment and build how you want to.

4) for open world, you don't need to run any of the raid meta builds, so again, stats don't matter.

5) i only talked about the stats you have because they already fulfil what you asked for. Celesital minion master is about the easiest, least stress build i've ever played in OW.

Misunderstood then, sorry.

• Like 1

I would modify the raid build to use impact sigil instead of accuracy sigils. Depending if you have access to stat infusion, i can not tell you which peices peices to switch to assassins. I would use the gear optimizer so you end up with the closest to 75% crit chance. https://optimizer.discretize.eu/?m=raids. Make sure to uncheck accuracy. Impact is in my opinion better for fractals and open world because of it procing alot of the time with break bars amd generally cc. I use CttB in open world in my opener to get a ton of boons and to get everything in a stuned state.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PSwAoiZlhyYx0YtYRN5FfB-zxIY1ojvU6qAyME6NC6IB8eAA-e

Here's a Harbinger build that I've been using recently. Its pretty much the openworld build from Guildjen's website with different offhand and trait choices. You will get some insane barrier and healing with this build and it will be pretty hard to be killed considering how much passive and active healing you will be getting from just doing damage. Its a bit expensive if you dont have any cele gear but its by far my favorite open world necro build after the signet reaper gets nerfed after the patch. 

You can trade staff for dagger/warhorn if you need more life force and ridiculous healing but I like the range of staff a bit better for kiting purposes. There is a flex slot for what ever you need for the current encounter and you can replace the signet something else if needed since harb gets a decent instant shroud percentage at all times. I'd also recommend Tropical Peppermint Cake as a super cheap food that gives you some extra vitality and more health regen (i think it works on the blood bank trait? not sure yet). 

It wont be doing crazy amount of dps but you wont ever have to worry about dying if you can keep range and attack stuff. It really scales well when attacking multiple opponents as Parasitic contagion scales with your total damage output. Also since harb shroud doesnt replace your healthbar, Parasitic contagion will still heal you/grant barrier (thanks blood bank!) while you dishing out dps. 

So far I've soloed a lot of legendary bounties without even getting to half health. Maybe not the fastest kill but still works really well.