Why Cancel Changes to Well of Action?

Nezekan.2671

In the preview of the patch, well of action was going to grant alacrity instead of superspeed, but that seems to have been cancelled? Why? Since wells no longer grant alacrity, they are in a very bad place now. Well of precognition is the only one you use now I guess 

Well of Action got buffed in this patch along with Well of Senility.

Their damage is going to be able to meet or exceed Mantra of Pain and Disenchanter.

A single source of Alac on a 20s cooldown at the final pulse of a Well is laughably bad. There's no way you'd have been able to contribute a usable amount of Alac with that.

But now we'll probably be seeing more people use Wells as DPS.

Alac and Quick come from both Phantasms and Shatters.

According to people better at math than me a Chrono with a tight rotation could have provided 100% Alac with .5 second duration.

I know I wouldn't have been able to do that but I think 2s duration will give us more wiggle room I expected.

I'm personally shocked that it's more than 1s.

10 hours ago, Roadkizzle.2157 said:

Well of Action got buffed in this patch along with Well of Senility.

Their damage is going to be able to meet or exceed Mantra of Pain and Disenchanter.

A single source of Alac on a 20s cooldown at the final pulse of a Well is laughably bad. There's no way you'd have been able to contribute a usable amount of Alac with that.

But now we'll probably be seeing more people use Wells as DPS.

The well was suppose to be supplementary to stretched time. As it stands, Mesmer is back to "needs to do perfect rotation and can only grant boon when in combat and targets to hit". Anet literally said they want to move away from this, but we are back to exactly where we left off.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nezekan.2671 said:

The well was suppose to be supplementary to stretched time. As it stands, Mesmer is back to "needs to do perfect rotation and can only grant boon when in combat and targets to hit". Anet literally said they want to move away from this, but we are back to exactly where we left off.

2 seconds of alacrity on phantasm summon is far more than it needs so you definitely don't have to do a perfect rotation. With 0% BD, I can upkeep 20-30s of alacrity on myself and that's with Improved Alacrity trait which reduces its duration.

Edited by rotten.9753

14 minutes ago, rotten.9753 said:

2 seconds of alacrity on phantasm summon is far more than it needs so you definitely don't have to do a perfect rotation. With 0% BD, I can upkeep 20-30s of alacrity on myself and that's with Improved Alacrity trait which reduces its duration.

Interesting. How many phantasms are you running? I assume you have some utilities. I am mainly bummed about out of combat alacrity tbh, where you would use the well right before the fight begins and also when the bosses are immune to damage or on downtimes etc.

1 minute ago, Nezekan.2671 said:

Interesting. How many phantasms are you running? I assume you have some utilities. I am mainly bummed about out of combat alacrity tbh, where you would use the well right before the fight begins and also when the bosses are immune to damage or on downtimes etc.

You don't have to run any utility phantasm, just sw/sw+gs is enough. You're correct that you can't realistically stack alacrity outside of combat but you stack so much alacrity now it shouldn't really be that problem for intermission phases, only for pre-stacking before combat, but to be fair, before combat alacrity doesn't really give much.

At least with the Phantasms you can grant Alac within the first second of combat.

It's not like the last patch Quickness where you had to spend 3 seconds or so getting 3 Clones to shatter.

As long as your first button press in combat is a Phantasm the effect will be minimal on your group.

The issue is how the traits and skills function across game modes.  For example, in WvW Chrono went from being a decent spec for providing group alacrity to barely providing it at all.  Druids and Tempest are top now.

Edited by Pie.2167

2s is quite a lot for instanced PvE content. I tested on golem it is easy to maintain well above 100% uptime for both quickness and alacrity.

The lack of boon out of combat is still an issue(or Anet thinks otherwise). My suggestion is to make self shatter having more uptime while additional clones with less uptime. e.g. 2.5s for self shatter, 0.5s for each additional clone. The exact split can be game mode dependent.

Edited by Exciton.8942
  • Thanks 2

On 6/28/2023 at 11:54 PM, Exciton.8942 said:

2s is quite a lot for instanced PvE content. I tested on golem it is easy to maintain well above 100% uptime for both quickness and alacrity.

The lack of boon out of combat is still an issue(or Anet thinks otherwise). My suggestion is to make self shatter having more uptime while additional clones with less uptime. e.g. 2.5s for self shatter, 0.5s for each additional clone. The exact split can be game mode dependent.

While what you say is true, when playing challenging content, best practice is not to Shatter immediately off cooldown nor throw Phantasms immediately off cooldown. There should be counter play to the situation ie confusion/daze burst, continuum rifts, double Shatter, full distortion. If you are constantly blowing Phantasms and Shatters, I'd argue ANET less than gave us any freedom, they locked us down to being sporadic brawlers. It was nice having the choice in when you wanted Alacrity, and not being forced to rotate both weapons and Shatters nonstop.