Gift of Obsidian Exploration (Temporary Name)

Hard disagree.
Though it would be interesting to see the different armor parts use different Mastery Gifts.

I'll be curious to see how it's actually implemented. It looks like all armor should have a precursor, a gift of prosperity (generally a gold sink), gift of prowess and gift of dedication. 

Both prowess and dedication seem to be somewhat interchangeable in the resources that go into them, though dedication seems to lean more towards metas. The prowess gift is likely where the expansion specific currencies will come in.
I'm not sure where map completion gifts might be slotted in. Maybe they can make use of the trinket specific gifts (desert/draconis mastery) but I doubt that since it would require older living world seasons.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

That's way too much.  Each full set of legendary armor requiring 1 of each of those could be reasonable.  Requiring map completion on 6 characters for one set of armor is ridiculous.

"Competitive or raid modes" are irrelevant.  Raid armor isn't particularly difficult to earn, and you don't even need to win for legendary armor in the competitive modes.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

13 minutes ago, WithoutAssumption.7936 said:

That's way too much.  Each full set of legendary armor requiring 1 of each of those could be reasonable.  Requiring map completion on 6 characters for one set of armor is ridiculous.

"Competitive or raid modes" are irrelevant.  Raid armor isn't particularly difficult to earn, and you don't even need to win for legendary armor in the competitive modes.

Did you want it to be only 5 gold per piece? coming from GW1 that by having it you could only farm it in elite areas, it doesn't seem like a small thing to ask for this at least

Edited by Razhiel Di Britannia.5231
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

9 minutes ago, Razhiel Di Britannia.5231 said:

Did you want it to be only 5 gold per piece? coming from GW1 that by having it you could only farm it in elite areas, it doesn't seem like a small thing to ask for this at least

That's an insanely bad faith strawman.

Each armor weight has a grand total of 3 character professions that are capable of using it.  Requiring full map completion on twice as many characters as there are professions that can even use the armor is patently ridiculous.

Beyond that you're comparing armor sets that were prestige skins, and skins only, in GW1 to something with a substantial amount of endgame functionality in GW2.  Being salty because people aren't forced into modes they don't want to play isn't enough justification for demanding nonsense requirements on new alternatives for useful QoL functionality.

Legendary armor sets, no matter what content it is earned in, should be something a single character, without alts, is capable of earning.  It's OK if alts speed up the process somehow, since that's how they effect every other legendary, but not if they are literally required for you to earn the Gifts needed.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I've been thinking about it more and I kind of like the idea of completing explorations as part of the armor. You get 2 GoE from core. So that could be used for gloves and boots for example. Then Maguuma for legs, Desert for shoulders. Cantha for helm. And whatever new map completion equivalent for the new expansion used for the chest item. Each

But yea, needing all of them for each piece is obviously ridiculous.

I do like the EoD approach concerning their map completions. I like that you can do lamplighter stuff to get the map gifts so that multiple characters aren't needed. Imo, that was a great decision to have been made.
I can also see Griffon races and/or rift closings being needed somewhere along the way since that would tie in nicely with the flying mounts emphasis.
Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing however they approach this.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

But yea, needing all of them for each piece is obviously ridiculous.

Lets make it clear, I doubt it will even require other expansions to get, but still, I can't say I'm surprised about the goalposts shifting this fast from ~"just make it an option, any option! As long as I can slowly work towards it" to "THAT much OW maps exploration? Ridiculous!". 😅 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

34 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing however they approach this.

Based on how they handle legendary variants, infusions, or stuff like the ascended echowald back piece, itll be like:

Do the zone1 meta event and get a not guaranteed drop. 

Talk to Freddy the Wizard and show him the geegaw to unlock the 8 step collection that includes jumping puzzles, event chains, map completion of new expansion maps, and the 3 steps below.

Collect 250 fragment of X's Y, getting 1per 2 hour reset zone meta.  Get X'sY

Collect 100 time-gated items from gathering specific nodes at a maximum of 15 per account per week.  Get proof of devotion. 

Craft 250 of each training ArmorPiece (5-20 of the ascended material version) in that weight class  (see: legendary step 2 for most weapons).  Get Ascended Precursor. 

Final step: Do the "why is this harder than dragons end" zone 2meta with X'sY, an eldrich scroll, 250 obsidian shards, and a cube of stabizlied dark energy in your bag, while not wearing the piece of armor you want to make, then click the bosses corpse to get the insight of X'sY.

Combine an insight of X'sY, proof of devotion, Ascended Precursor, and Gift of Prosperity in the mystic forge.  Now do it again!

Edited by Barraind.7324
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Lets make it clear, I doubt it will even require other expansions to get, but still, I can't say I'm surprised about the goalposts shifting this fast from ~"just make it an option, any option! As long as I can slowly work towards it" to "THAT much OW maps exploration? Ridiculous!". 😅 

I agree that I don't think it will require the other expansions. For the ridiculous part, it's mostly just a matter of having to switch toons over and over to accomplish a single set of armor. To me, that would seem really off for crafting the armor. Assuming that was directed at me, I don't see that as shifting goalposts.  

Edited by idpersona.3810
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, idpersona.3810 said:

I agree that I don't think it will require the other expansions. For the ridiculous part, it's mostly just a matter of having to switch toons over and over to accomplish a single set of armor. To me, that would seem really off for crafting the armor. Assuming that was directed at me, I don;t see that as shifting goalposts.  

In that case, my misunderstanding of what you found ridiculous about it. Requiring 6 characters for non-repeatable map exploration (EoD did it right and I think it's reasonable to suspect they'll do the same for SotO maps; core would be good enough for how it works) per set which is meant for just 3 classes in the game would actually be a poor fit, true.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

In that case, my misunderstanding of what you found ridiculous about it. Requiring 6 characters for non-repeatable map exploration (EoD did it right and I think it's reasonable to suspect they'll do the same for SotO maps; core would be good enough for how it works) per set which is meant for just 3 classes in the game would actually be a poor fit, true.

I think if map completion is needed, they will handle it similar to EoD. But with fewer maps in this one, I don't know if that can really be how they approach it. Maybe the SotO mastery will be a combination of 2 map completions and 2 mount gifts? Kind of a mix of the Gift of the Rider and Gift of the Desert. This is obviously all speculation this early on.

Edited by idpersona.3810