Everyone gets a free skyscale!

On 6/30/2023 at 4:08 PM, The Boz.2038 said:

On a scale of 0 to 200 gold/full effort, the closer to 0, the better.

What to say that you don't need a new currency that only exist on SoTO maps and a very small amount of Gold? It would still force player that want to play on those new maps to farm and would not be any different then the Skyscale in PoF maps where.

Without Gliding you will probably also have a hard time as Updraft is still tied to HoT.

Looking at how EoD gave Raptor mount to player that didn't have PoF or unlocked that mount I would suspect that there is some kind of mechanic also in maps like Jade Bots ability to use Zip lines (and portals) which all used battery charges to go up to places when you didn't have any flying mount or Springer (yet) to get around, so it is very likely some other way to traverse maps then just Skyscale.

Skiff replaced to some degree Skimmer as it can get you around on water faster then swimming.

Some people are too focused on Skyscale and seem to forget that almost all maps up to today there have been different ways to get around added to maps that isn't tied to only Skyscale.

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Dibit.6259 said:

I mean I did say personally I would find it insulting, as in my own opinion, I didn't expect everyone to agree with me. I also said I didn't mind there being an easier way to get skyscale, I just don't want it to be a free handout because this a game with a system of progress and reward.

My comment towards people getting upset if skyscale is handed out for free would happen regardless of whether you find it "narrow minded" and "self-centered". Skyscale is currently considered the "legendary" of mounts because of the time and effort it takes to get it. Its not hard but its something that takes investment and some people take pride in that, so some will feel that their achievement has been devalued. You can't speak for everyone's thoughts and feelings on the matter and neither can I. Fair enough it might not be "a lot of people" that I said it would be but still there are people out there with these thoughts and feelings.

I was just pointing out in regards to your previous post that they could implement a system similar to dragonfall where you can "rent skyscales" while being in that map if you do not already own a skyscale, meaning that the new content could still be accessible by players without the need of unlocking the skyscale off the bat.

During some Festivals there where also mounts possible to rent, but with only a very limited abilities (even when you had full mastery from Crystal Desert), so renting any mount will not replace a full unlock of mount. It where also rather hard to use as if you would jump off your mount to farm anything or had fight/kill something, then your mount where gone and you had to get back to NPC vendor and get a new mount. Same when started to do your Griffon in PoF maps where you could summon a Griffon, before you had fully unlocked it.

My point is that renting would still be a very limited way to have access to mounts and in some cases create issues as when you now are high up in the sky and have to interact with anything or need kill anything to get killed on your mount, then you would have to go back to summon or buy that mount again. I couldn't find out from news about SoTO how Gliding will be handled, but without any way to get back to ground or lower elevation one would have to work to get a permanent mount that could do this or some system to force player to get back which means more time consumed to do stuff.

• Confused 1

I'm totally fine with this change. I love my skyscale and use it most of the time anyways. If new people are able to get to the same level as veterans pretty fast, you can play with them much faster. When EoD came out, our guild had a lot of new members, that were excited of the game. They wanted to join us in raids and strikes and then realized that they cannot easily participate, because they lack masteries, mounts, and so on... It's really annoying for new players if they just want to play with the others and have to play other expansions first to get the content they need... If skyscale is such an important mount in SotO, then it's the right decision to make it accessible for every player. The fact that veterans who already have the skyscale get additional benefits from the new masteries is such a smart move from anet. 

And the other mounts are still useable, because they have their own special niche in the game. A skyscale won't match the speed of a rollerbeetle or a  griffon. It will never be able to reach higher ground faster than a springer.  I won't be able to use sandportals or swim underwater. Every mount has his own purpose so I don't think any of them will be useless with the expansion. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, NIGHTHUNTER.5139 said:

It will never be able to reach higher ground faster than a springer

Not only can skyscale do this faster but it can do it safer and come next patch it can do it all in combat while having an aerial and a ground attack.

When you're on your bunny you can only jump straight up, and even then you have to compromise and find the ledges you can reach. Skyscale with Bond of Vigor, 4 wall jumps, as I understand it Bond of Vigor might be crazy next patch. But there could be new masteries for the Bunny that they haven't announced so who knows.

• Confused 1