Toxic gatekeeping at Xera boss in raid without mastery

Just now, The Ace.9105 said:

That would be a great start, the option to be able to buy mastery unlocks would be awesome!

Nah, play the game, if you don't want to play the game, play the game you want to play. Super simple stuff. If you don't want to play mmorpg, why are you looking for an mmorpg in the first place.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Sobx.1758 said:

If I don't get everything from gemstore unlocked for free right now, I'd rather quit the game like the rest of former players did.

That's what you're doing here. Not addressing anything specific, simply falling back onto the equivalent of "do what I want or ded game". Nonsense.

It's as "gatekeeping" as everything listed above (and more!), but somehow you don't have an issue with that because, well, who knows what. You came to make a complaint and whatever response you get, you go right for some weird "if you don't do it, ded!". But that's false and it avoids addressing anything written here.

Giving the chance for someone to be toxic and kick you because the game has purposely invented requirements that gatekeep you suddenly from the group content is bad!

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, The Ace.9105 said:

Giving the chance for someone to be toxic and kick you because the game has purposely invented requirements that gatekeep you suddenly from the group content is bad!

You can be kicked by literally anyone for literally anything. The mere existence of the game is "giving the chance for someone to be toxic and kick you". Again, you're slapping these generalizations all over the thread, but it can be said about literally almost anything. 

Gear also "gives a chance to be toxic and kicked". So do achievements. So does outfit you were or colors you use on your armor. Remove then?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Sobx.1758 said:

You can be kicked by literally anyone for literally anything. The mere existence of the game is "giving the chance for someone to be toxic and kick you". Again, you're slapping these generalizations all over the thread, but it can be said about literally almost anything.

Raids are probably dead cause of that attitude 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

Raids are probably dead cause of that attitude 

They're not really dead considering people play them daily/weekly. And you're again doing what I described above: avoiding addressing anything people respond here just to regress into generalization that "it's ded because it's not exactly what I want it to be". But that's false.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Sobx.1758 said:

They're not really dead considering people play them daily/weekly. And you're again doing what I described above: avoiding addressing anything people respond here just to regress into generalization that "it's ded because it's not exactly what I want it to be". But that's false.

If you say i do that so do you. For me, this is real so why not for others too? How can you say this is false?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, The Ace.9105 said:

It is when it's gatekeeping me out of group content suddenly and someone can be toxic and kick because of it

Literally everyone who has done Xera had to get ley line gliding. What makes you so special that you think you don't need it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Zero.1028 said:

Literally everyone who has done Xera had to get ley line gliding. What makes you so special that you think you don't need it?

I was having fun playing in a group and then suddenly there's some requirement i can't know and now i am kicked from the group and can't participate anymore. Why is there a need to have a random raid wing suddenly have final tier mastery requirement for group content?

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

I was having fun playing in a group and then suddenly there's some requirement i can't know and now i am kicked from the group and can't participate anymore. Why is there a need to have a random raid wing suddenly have final tier mastery requirement for group content?

Because. That's. Part. Of. The. Endgame. Requirement.  

• Like 5

Well, why do you need lvl 80 to access certain content? Why do you need ascended gear to slot in infusions? Why do you need lvl 60 to use best runes?

Because it's an mmorpg and even without a gear treadmil, some structure and sense of progress isn't a bad thing at all. As for masteries needed for raids, xera isn't exactly the only one.

Lets come up with more examples: why do you need masteries to get in certain places in story or in ow maps? Why do you need mounts? Why do you need to buy expansions to access their maps? Everything is "gatekeeping" if you want it to be. The only way to have no "gatekeeping" (as understood by you) is to not have any mechanics in the game -this or any other.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Because. That's. Part. Of. The. Endgame. Requirement.  

In a middle of a raid? Why is that not the requirement for all the raids then? Why isn't that the requirement for all the wings then if that's part of the endgame requirements??

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1

In a middle of a raid? Why is that not the requirement for all the raids then? Why isn't that the requirement for all the wings then if that's part of the endgame requirements??

It's not in the middle of a raid, Xera is literally the final BOSS of that wing. Each wing has it's own theme and mechanics, wing 3 just so happens to require ley line gliding. The first mission of wing 3 has ley line gliding but you normally don't see it cuz a mesmer with LEY LINE gliding does 90% of the work for you. So it's actually not a random requirement at all since the entire wing from start to finish had LEY LINE GLIDING

• Like 5

Because gradual increase in requirements and mechanics is better game design than throwing everything at the player at the same time. One allows the player to gradually unlock and learn things they need, the other most probably will overwhelm the players before they even grasp what's used for what.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Zero.1028 said:

It's not in the middle of a raid, Xera is literally the final BOSS of that wing. Each wing has it's own theme and mechanics, wing 3 just so happens to require ley line gliding. The first mission of wing 3 has ley line gliding but you normally don't see it cuz a mesmer with LEY LINE gliding does 90% of the work for you. So it's actually not a random requirement at all since the entire wing from start to finish had LEY LINE GLIDING

Why can it be completed without it then? Why doesn't other wings require things like these and why doesn't anything tell you that you need the mastery?

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2

Why can it be completed without it then? Why doesn't other wings require things like these and why doesn't anything tell you that you need the mastery?

Except you can't complete it without ley line. The first mission literally requires the mesmer to have ley line gliding otherwise they can't get to the tower to portal everyone up there. The first mission literally tells you that you need the mastery 

• Like 3

Except you can't complete it without ley line. The first mission literally requires the mesmer to have ley line gliding otherwise they can't get to the tower to portal everyone up there. The first mission literally tells you that you need the mastery 

I was at the final boss when i was told that i don't have the mastery and got kicked which was really toxic

• Confused 8
  • Sad 1

I was at the final boss when i was told that i don't have the mastery and got kicked which was really toxic

That's because throughout the entire raid someone did the mechanics for you, if you were to do towers in the first encounter you couldn't do it because you don't have ley line. 

What did you expect them to do? Carry you through the entire boss fight while you just watched?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Ace.9105 said:

Hi, i was recently doing some raiding and then got kicked out of a raid group because i didn't have lay line gliding. How can this game have this kind of gatekeeping in the content? I though gw2 is a game for everybody and then i encounter this kind of discrimination. This should be changed asap and let people play raids that doesn't require some long and tedious event grinding for hours and hours. 

It's not on the same level of toxicity. You literally cannot participate in Xera without the mastery. It's an unfair design by the devs in retrospect, but it's also not fair to a group to just stand on the sidelines expecting a clear when you aren't even able to at least attempt to contribute.

I'm definitely against toxicity and gatekeeping, and I think the game has a lot of design problems that facilitate it. This is one of them, and it is perhaps the clearest example of an issue that is totally on the design side, not the players side.

Just get the kitten mastery. It's grindy but not that bad with boosters. 

Edited by Batalix.2873
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, The Ace.9105 said:

You will die at Sabetha or Matthias as well if you don‘t have the corresponding masteries. Nothing special with Xera. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Zero.1028 said:

That's because throughout the entire raid someone did the mechanics for you, if you were to do towers in the first encounter you couldn't do it because you don't have ley line. 

What did you expect them to do? Carry you through the entire boss fight while you just watched?

If it was a real requirement it would not be possible to even get there without the mastery... I wanted to participate to the best of my abilities to the full clear but was just rudely stopped there and kicked. Why is that something you want to happen to players trying to raid?

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Batalix.2873 said:

It's not on the same level of toxicity. You literally cannot participate in Xera without the mastery. It's an unfair design by the devs in retrospect, but it's also not fair to a group to just stand on the sidelines expecting a clear when you aren't even able to at least attempt to contribute.

I'm definitely against toxicity and gatekeeping, and I think the game has a lot of design problems that facilitate it. This is one of them, and it is perhaps the clearest example of an issue that is totally on the design side, not the players side.

I wanted to participate but couldn't, that's why i am upset and my evening ruined

• Confused 5
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Jarl Grey.8135 said:

You will die at Sabetha or Matthias as well if you don‘t have the corresponding masteries. Nothing special with Xera. 

I was playing as a condi hybrid ele damage build but didn't notice anything in those, what masteries are required there?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

If it was a real requirement it would not be possible to even get there without the mastery... I wanted to participate to the best of my abilities to the full clear but was just rudely stopped there and kicked. Why is that something you want to happen to players trying to raid?

It is a real requirement. I literally just said someone needs to have ley line to do the first encounter

• Like 5