suggestion : gear related abilities

I understand that you might be trying to create more build diversity, but at the end of the day theres always going to be a BIS skill for any given profession, with your proposed system, people are now going to be forced to grind for that specific item in order to achieve their role, even if that weapon or armor might hurt their build
it also completely negates the Legendary armory, unless you also plan for legendary equipment having access to EVERY new skill, at which point it's now moving towards a Pay to win system, where you are encouraged to spend gem/gold to buy legendaries from the TP just to be able to compete with other players.

Well we could argue on that but in my view legendary armor and weapons are already pay to win. They increase your build versatility through rerolling your stats anytime, for example it's useful for people following meta changes quickly. I'm sure many people get them for this reason as well as the skin. Some people even prefer other skins than the leg they have. They also allow for safe upgrade removal so they can allow for saving gold and resources later on. They are already slightly pay to win. The old legendary runes are also pay to win, i use them to reroll my rune skills between combats in WvW for example, already noticed you could use them for some stackable gimmicks like rune summons when you want to have fun.

Probably some skills would be more meta than others. But not everyone is following meta builds. I never followed any meta builds, refused entering guilds asking me to change everything on my toon for meta's sake. Im just one player but there are certainly many like me. Meta is not the be all end all of the game.

Also even if something was really better than the rest, the devs would eventually nerf it to balance things.

And meanwhile the nerf is not there this said skill is better, that's actually something worth playing for for many players. What do old players like beta players have to do ingame right now ? Get confetti aura ? Reach WvW level world record ?

Why not play for an item then ? Players always need something to look for. When many players have nothing to acquire, they usually quit the game soon after. If you want some player retention, you first need something for players to look for. Legendaries can help for a given public for a while, but after 10 years relying solely on skins it doesn't look much realistic.

Edited by GEGEZZ.7563
  • Confused 2

well when i bought my garden plots for 1000 gems with real money to get better food effects, that was pay to win.

When i bought the black lion mail delivery items and get instant loot everyday, i knew it was pay to win.

When i started the game and bought some gold via gem exchange to increase my crafting levels, that was pay to win.

As i said several elemnts of legendary items are pay to win.

If you buy gold via gems you have 80% of your guild upgrades done. All you need is time and you get most guild hall upgrades. And that's feasible solo.

You can pay for inventory bags. You can pay for archetypes and switch all you have via shortcut.

You can actually get in line with the best gear in one or two days from scratch if you buy gold or leg weapons, ascended insignias and so on.

You can buy gold via gems to get most consumables. You can speed progression in many fields with gold.

You can buy several home instance upgrades solely with money. Hell, one day i really wanted the bauble node in my home when the event wasn't there, all i had to do is pay 50 euros. Never played SAB. That's pay to win. One day I missed the event but i wanted the new SAB food recipe for the karma gain, same thing, all i had to do was buying the baubles. Cost me 10 or 20 euros i forgot. Should i not do that i could still buy the food directly.

You seem to imply this game isn't pay to win. Most of it is.

Edited by GEGEZZ.7563
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Parasite.5389 said:

encouraging players to spend money in order to get abilities they would otherwise not have, is pay to win

With gold -> gem conversion, there is really no encouragement.  Sure, Anet would prefer cash.  Still doesn't make or encourage P2W

2 hours ago, GEGEZZ.7563 said:

I disagree with that. You can't even say it "doesn't work" because noone ever tried here. Also no reason it wouldn't.

There are certainly things you don't need to try to know it won't work. Throwing yourself off a cliff will not work as a method of achieving flight and dousing food in gasoline and setting it on fire as a cooking method are some examples. They could work with some additional modifications but not as it is. Likewise this concept can work in games built around it and supported by other systems. This Whispering Ice giving Icestorm is a lot more impactful than some random staff in GW2 giving a skill because of a sockets/gem system in PoE.

37 minutes ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

Well, I never says that what annoys people is relic bonus, what annoys that is the eventual bonus grind that will come with it. 

The same bonus grind you're suggesting there, I'm not turning the problem. 

That one is a bit different. The problems with relics are

1. anet's lack of details

2. the equivalent of you building a sand castle and anet casually walks over then stomps on part of it and apparently they never even thought this would be a problem. It can also be further subdivided.

2a. time it takes to rebuild

2b. having something you already have get taken away

I expect ANet's response to address only one of those sub-issues. 😕

On 7/11/2023 at 3:23 PM, GEGEZZ.7563 said:

Thing is... you won't get a new elite skill unless someone comes out with an idea. The devs said they wanted to slow down on elite specs.

Elite skills don't just come with elite specs, they were already a thing for core specs in core game. If the goal is to have "more elite skills", the obvious first step is to fill in the gaps of those elite (and healing, btw) skills that are missing withing the core specs' skill types. Pretty sure every class misses some and most of the people would probably gladly welcome finishing each of the skill type's roster.
I don't see the need to implement what basically amounts to being "another level of gear" to have access to skills that should probably be there in the first place. We don't need to look for an excuse to add more skills, the skills can just be added into the game.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1