My thoughts on GW 2 as an MMO enjoyer (including WOW)

7 minutes ago, BloodyVampyra.3741 said:

"too Asian" lol smh

Oh and gw2 is the only mmorpg community i've known that thinks roleplaying in a roleplaying game is weird lol

but u know what, different strokes for different folks tbh.

I think that this erotic role play is weird, but maybe that’s your thing and that’s why FFXIV is the right game for you.

In the end it’s very subjective what game someone likes more, nothing wrong with that. 

Edited by vares.8457
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/18/2023 at 8:48 PM, BloodyVampyra.3741 said:

No actual argument just an insult, ok then lol. I played more hours of GW2 and I just started FFXIV. Immediately I noticed that the latter (in both the community, story content, gameplay, mechanics, in-game tutorials, aesthetics) is of significantly higher quality than anything I encountered in all the thousand hours I spent playing GW2.

Guild Wars 2 completely annihilates FFXIV when it comes to open world content.

And FFXIV owns GW2 in other areas.

They are very different games.

If you want classical MMO endgame (raids etc) FFXIV by far the best option

GW2 appeals more to me 

I did play FFXIV for almost 1k hours, but the lack of open world content makes me play GW2 instead

• Like 7

On 7/12/2023 at 1:30 PM, Xariann.5071 said:

I am not used to vertical maps, and I will be in the minority, but I find the HOT open world is frustrating. I am sure there will be people who love it, and I think doing it when it came out would feel very different from doing it now. That was your end game at the time, it made sense to work towards unlocking your gliding, your mushrooms etc. But I am not the biggest fun of jumping puzzles, and I feel HOT without mounts is a huge jumping puzzle, and I don't enjoy it. I wound up skipping the story to go straight to PoF for the mounts and will go back after.

I think most people hate HoT maps myself included, at least initially, but over time they can grow on you and become some of your favourite maps in the game. At least that's what happened to me and I've heard similar stories from other people. So perhaps it could happen to you as well.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, vares.8457 said:

what I’ve seen and heard from FFXIV it really is not for me. It’s looks pretty boring and too Asian with all this nonsense in the game and the huge E RP scene in that game is disturbing. It’s a game for teenager. 

For once I agree with you. I'm Asian, and even for me it's waaay too Asian. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

The problem with FFXIV is that the story is 1. mandatory and 2. it is 400+ hours long, half of that time is spent watching cutscenes (many of which are unvoiced and feature stilted animations and finnicky lighting and are overall unattractive to look at), and the other half is reading paragraphs of text while the camera is zoomed out from the NPCs and doesn't frame them attractively. It is supposed to be a VIDEO game but most of the time it isn't appealing to look at like other video games or real visual novels. Another issue is because FFXIV is willing to have unvoiced text, the writers forgot the art of brevity and you wind up with a script that takes 10x longer to get to the point than it should. The story is 400+ hours long but it is most certainly not 400+ hours of pure entertainment. Only a small percentage of it is very enjoyable.

It's good that Anet has committed to making GW2's story almost fully voice acted. Due to the time and expense required for voice acting, it forces the scriptwriters to cut out the fat and get down to what matters most. GW2's story is only 100 hours long but I enjoyed a higher pecentage of it than FF14's. The only thing that sucks about GW2's story is that you can't skip the scripted RP segments like you can skip cutscenes in FF14, which makes going through the story on a second playthrough a bit more tedious and I find myself alt+tabbing out until it finishes.

As for the setting, I initially preferred FF14's setting to GW2's. I found ARR through Stormblood's Eorzea to be a lived in setting and I found the countries to be interesting, with their internal problems and their tensions with each other. Even the expansionistic empire wasn't completely evil and was interesting and was looking forward to adventuring inside it and getting to work for good Legatuses. Then the writers changed and by the time of Shadowbringers it became a Kingdom Hearts ripoff of dark vs light, the country vs country focus of the setting is discarded as everyone holds hands and sings kumbaya, Garlemald is wiped out offscreen, etc, and I started losing interest.

I don't care much about GW2's setting. The only thing that appealed to me were the Charr Legions, but they suffered from the same fate FF14 countries in that their problems were eliminated and they got along with everyone else so there was no tension anymore. I thought GW1's Cantha was interesting but that didn't carry over into EoD. I was mainly interested in the Elder Dragon magic plot and the spectacle of the ED fights.

Another issue with FF14's story is that the main cast are all scholars who came from the same island country with pleasant personalities. You don't get someone different until the last expansion and he's not enough. At least in GW2 you got people from different backgrounds with different personalities.

WoW has the best looking environments, especially those gorgeous painterly skyboxes from WoD onwards. GW2 has much more fluid character and mount animations, though. I also liked the war feel of WoW and the large scale PvP with mounts in battlegrounds, but I am not as into the gameplay as GW2.

Edited by Valfar.3761
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1