"It Is Time For Legends To Become Real"

2007 Was the year that ArenaNet launched the final expansion for Guild Wars 1 and announced plans towards an all-new and revolutionary MMO: Guild Wars 2. Soon it became clear that Guild Wars 2 would not be released any time soon. What followed was the longest content drought that the franchise ever had with only small and occasional updates to the old game in shape of Guild Wars: Beyond. Players could start work on their Hall of Monuments as long term goal and to unlock special rewards for the new game when it would be released.

To prevent players from leaving the franchise altogether, ArenaNet gave regular updates and interviews about the game design, development, philosophies and were regularly shown concept art and animations of what the game would become. But how the game would look stayed a secret for quite a long time. This all changed in August 2009, where the first teaser trailer of the game was made public. The trailer started as so many others, with their in-house animation engine but half-way it sounded the legendary line: "It Is Time For Legends To Become Real" and it showed the very first in-game footage of the game in development. And kitten, it was good. Nothing hyped me up more like this trailer and still, today I regularly think back of the time I eagerly waited on the promising future of the franchise.

Not everything from the trailer made it to the final game but it doesn't matter. The trailer showed what ArenaNet was capable of with their upcoming game engine and creativity and in that aspect they delivered every part of it.

02:03 Still gives me shivers. And with 11000 hours and 38k achievement points later, I still play it every day and love every bit of it. Thanks for being this awesome inspiration for so many years!

Which are your most nostalgic moments of the Guild Wars 1 and 2 franchise?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Which are your most nostalgic moments of the Guild Wars 1 and 2 franchise?

My most nostalgic moments: starting the game on release day, realizing that - contrary to promises made - it was nothing like GW1, playing it a few times during the first two weeks, then abandoning it for the next three years. 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

My most nostalgic moments: starting the game on release day, realizing that - contrary to promises made - it was nothing like GW1, playing it a few times during the first two weeks, then abandoning it for the next three years. 😄

Heh, so relatable. While the game looked amazing I had big trouble transitioning to the new weapon-based skill system. Every weapon I tried brought skills that moved my character around which I severely disliked. After a few months in GW2 I mostly went back to GW1 and in that way I missed all of Living World Season 1. It was only after I found a guide on YouTube with an earth-based Elementalist build for leveling that I came back to the game and since then I never stopped.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1