👁️

Gibson.4036

I keep thinking about the 👁️ that appears in the rifts. Presumably, it’s not just a cosmetic effect, but has some lore reason.

So, every time we open a rift to kill some Kryptis (Krypti? Kryptises?), are we giving something malevolent a glimpse of our plane? Intelligence for the enemy? Is this a case of, “Don’t use the ring, Frodo”?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Unless I'm misunderstanding the mechanics and lore, the rift is already open (or opening) and thus any watchers can see into Tyria as is. The act of "opening" (or perhaps more accurately, shoving the opened door wide open resulting in the beings leaning on that door to listen in on Tyria to fall through like your typical comedic anime moment) wouldn't thus be giving the origin of the eye anything since we then slam the door shut on their proverbial eyelids. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nosrorav.4703 said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding the mechanics and lore, the rift is already open (or opening) and thus any watchers can see into Tyria as is. The act of "opening" (or perhaps more accurately, shoving the opened door wide open resulting in the beings leaning on that door to listen in on Tyria to fall through like your typical comedic anime moment) wouldn't thus be giving the origin of the eye anything since we then slam the door shut on their proverbial eyelids. 

Ha! Love the image of someone leaning against the door and we yank it open

I'm sad that the expansion is the MMO Rift, just added to GW2.  Is there nothing else that we have left lore-wise to do?

Edit for all the confused people - Rift is another MMO that came out the year before GW2.  You use lures to go out in the world and open rifts to fight bad guys.  The new mini expac we will earn a lure where we go out in the world and open rifts to fight bad guys.  Yeah, was really hoping for something new and original, not just taking another MMO's main feature and adding it here.

Edited by MedievalThings.5417
Edited for all the confused folks.
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

On 8/8/2023 at 10:25 AM, MedievalThings.5417 said:

I'm sad that the expansion is the MMO Rift, just added to GW2.  Is there nothing else that we have left lore-wise to do?

Edit for all the confused people - Rift is another MMO that came out the year before GW2.  You use lures to go out in the world and open rifts to fight bad guys.  The new mini expac we will earn a lure where we go out in the world and open rifts to fight bad guys.  Yeah, was really hoping for something new and original, not just taking another MMO's main feature and adding it here.

By that argument, so was Nightfall. An eldritch evil seeping into the world and creating various rifts. Except Nightfall came first. So the MMO Rift is just GW1 Nightfall with that level of comparison made.

It's a trope, it's not the defining element of the game. If you try to actually compare anything behind the skin-deep statement you'll find they're vastly different.

For one, GW2 is actually good gameplay.

Edited by Nosrorav.4703
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...