Fire Scepter - No Line of Sight Issue

Chyro.1462

Heya.

Not sure what's causing this, but my friend on tempest gets this problem on some enemies. In particular, attacking Octovine in Tarir and the water elemental (rock heap) in the Sunqua Peak fractal. When he's in scepter fire attunement, he constantly gets 'no line of sight' when attacking these bosses for both the auto-attack of scepter and dragon's tooth. Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this? Some kind of setting?

Okay, so I went in on my own to try if its just him affected by this. Sunqua peak, second 'boss' the pile of Fallen Boulders. No matter from which side I attack it, skill 1 and 2 in scepter fire constantly have 'no line of sight' and don't work - and only those, even the projectile attacks in earth manage to hit it. The one spot I managed to find where you could cast the skills was by jumping on top of the 'boss' (so onto the rocks) and attacking it while standing on the front-left rock of the pile. Is this intended? Are there other skills that also simply can't be used due to line of sight on this boss (and seemingly octovine has the same issue)? Or is this perhaps just some issue that snuck in through the somewhat recent scepter rework?

• 2 weeks later...

They changed/nerfed scepter a couple years ago because it was causing alot of side effects in wvw, (you could hit stuff at the other side of the wall with it). They sort of "fixed" by making it more restrictive in its line of sight. Unfortunately in its current form its overrestricted (just like lightning flash for example) causing it to bug out on a couple occasions (typically on bigger objects or when the object is close to out of line of sight). Seems like a bug that is unfortunately very low on anets priority list, so i guess we better just call it a feature. 

• Like 1

I just can't believe devs would let it stand that in a game where combat is the main form of gameplay that certain skills are simply unable to be used against certain enemies / bosses. There's no reason that those skills shouldn't function in every encounter. It's not the same like some enemies being immune to burning and thus some skills losing a lot of their power against these enemies - that's intended and makes sense. This here is an obvious bug and needs to be fixed.

• Sad 3

On 9/2/2023 at 7:15 PM, the krytan assassin.9235 said:

They changed/nerfed scepter a couple years ago because it was causing alot of side effects in wvw, (you could hit stuff at the other side of the wall with it). They sort of "fixed" by making it more restrictive in its line of sight. Unfortunately in its current form its overrestricted (just like lightning flash for example) causing it to bug out on a couple occasions (typically on bigger objects or when the object is close to out of line of sight). Seems like a bug that is unfortunately very low on anets priority list, so i guess we better just call it a feature. 

This. Wasn't an issue until recently-ish (the first nerf after they reviewed and tweaked scepter).

This same issue also happens with any line of sight is an issue if you are directly inside the hitbox. Center on center. It's not only just ele scepter fire 1 and 2 but other similar ranged line of sights issue. It's just a feature at this point since there's nothing we can do and Anet wont really fix it. Maybe in 10 years they come back and look at it again. Some classes do suffer the same issue not only what I said but what OP issue has.

Edited by oCynder.5136
added more info to my post