8. Into the Obscure story step stuck [Merged]

I've beaten the SOTO story twice, so on my third go through I decided to experiment a little.

I was curious if one were to reset chapter 8 after Kamilla gives you the Uncommon Kryptis Motivation and replay the first few minutes of it again, if Kamilla would provide another Uncommon Kryptis Motivation. Turns out that to prevent people from doing this, the game just straight up breaks your ability to progress the story lol.

Kamilla is stuck and won't give you a second Uncommon Kryptis Motivation. Using the one you got from before won't unstuck her. I'm assuming destroying it won't either. And because the story objective won't move on from "Take the motivation from Kamilla," you can't just purchase/craft another Uncommon Kryptis Motivation to progress the story.

So yeah, one of my alts is now stuck on this step. Maybe this information will help Anet diagnose the issue.

On 9/16/2023 at 10:34 AM, Heibi.4251 said:

Double click on the motivation and then scan for rifts. You actually have to scan for rifts after you double click on the motivation.

No s... Sherlock! The fact the game was asking me to do this seemed self evident. I guess more explanation is required. Normally, once you double click on the 'motivation' and activate it. It appears just above your skill bar next to your buffs from food etc. This indicates that the level 2 is now active. Once it is active you can now 'scan'. Once that 'scan' is done the story should progress to "Complete a tier 2 hunt in Amnytas." Once you get to the rift, that is when you use the  'motivation' to open the rift. And that is when it should be consumed. You kill the Champ that comes out etc... Story goes on. Yet this is not what happened for me. The 'motivation' cube disappeared upon use and the story did not progress. This left me without a 'motivation' and no way to continue.

So I decided to try and continue anyway since it can't hurt. Used the 'motivation'  that I purchased, scanned for a rift and went to try and kill the Champ. Opened the rift and this didn't progress my story either. The 'motivation'  was consumed and now I'm back to square 1. Stuck at the story step "Take the motivation from Kamilla".

There is a database flag that should have been reset once I restarted the story step that would allow Kamilla to recognize I have yet to 'Take' the 'motivation'.

Edited by Hellcat.3106

On 9/18/2023 at 7:54 AM, Hellcat.3106 said:

No s... Sherlock! The fact the game was asking me to do this seemed self evident. I guess more explanation is required. Normally, once you double click on the 'motivation' and activate it. It appears just above your skill bar next to your buffs from food etc. This indicates that the level 2 is now active. Once it is active you can now 'scan'. Once that 'scan' is done the story should progress to "Complete a tier 2 hunt in Amnytas." Once you get to the rift, that is when you use the  'motivation' to open the rift. And that is when it should be consumed. You kill the Champ that comes out etc... Story goes on. Yet this is not what happened for me. The 'motivation' cube disappeared upon use and the story did not progress. This left me without a 'motivation' and no way to continue.

So I decided to try and continue anyway since it can't hurt. Used the 'motivation'  that I purchased, scanned for a rift and went to try and kill the Champ. Opened the rift and this didn't progress my story either. The 'motivation'  was consumed and now I'm back to square 1. Stuck at the story step "Take the motivation from Kamilla".

There is a database flag that should have been reset once I restarted the story step that would allow Kamilla to recognize I have yet to 'Take' the 'motivation'.

Sorry you feel the need to be aggressive in a response. My advice stemmed from helping a guildie in your same situation. He initially got the motivation, used it but did not scan for rifts. He gave up and tried to get another from the npc and couldn't. He couldn't get the story to advance, obviously. I got a character to the same step and discovered and followed the steps required, told him, and he realized the error. He then bought a motivation, used it and scanned - his story advanced. One of the main reasons the story doesn't advance for people is because they don't scan for rifts. I actually had the same problem until I realized my own error on my first time through. So my advice comes from experience. But if it's bugged for some and not for others I guess ANET has to patch it - hopefully sooner than later. There's so many updates and patches that some things just break.

Edited by Heibi.4251

First of all, I'd like to apologize. My native language is not English, so I have to rely on GOOGLE Translate.
Please forgive me if there are any grammatical inaccuracies.

First I was in Secrets of the Obscure
8.Into the Obscure
Take the motivation from Kamilla.
This place encountered a BUG
Unable to get mission props from Kamilla
As a result, the entire story plot cannot be advanced.
Ran it three times again
Also used BUG report
Still no effect
After almost a week, my enthusiasm for this game gradually died out.

What’s funny is that this BUG didn’t just appear suddenly in the past few days.
But there were reports of disaster around 8/24
It's been a month now
I don’t see any official remedies either.
I did this plot with my friends
But because I encountered this BUG, everyone was suspended.

I bought almost all the expansion packs
However, the speed of official processing this time makes me sure that I will never buy a new expansion pack again.
Quite disappointed

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, AngusEvil.9632 said:

I already tried to redo the chapter

I'm sorry to say at this point you may need to start from beginning on another character

Update: It's under known issues https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/19770192898963

Edited by whateverthisnamecanbe.3615

I have today posted ticket under 9068833 concerning Kamilla and the motivation. I also did the chapter 7 again before attempting Kamilla and still noting. The green star over Kamilla to take the motivation stays as it is and nothing happens and I cannot go forward. I did contact support under 9067095 and was told they were aware of it and they could do nothing more. Interesting to see others findings and answers but for me as of today still cannot complete.

8 hours ago, david sands.6054 said:

I have today posted ticket under 9068833 concerning Kamilla and the motivation. I also did the chapter 7 again before attempting Kamilla and still noting. The green star over Kamilla to take the motivation stays as it is and nothing happens and I cannot go forward. I did contact support under 9067095 and was told they were aware of it and they could do nothing more. Interesting to see others findings and answers but for me as of today still cannot complete.

The patch today indicated it had fixed some issues related to Kamilla and Motivations. Im however running into the same issue you are still,  its been a headache for 2-3 weeks now as I really want to progress the story but cant. 

• Like 1

I heard from support and they have informed me that they can do nothing and that we have to wait for another fix to sort out the problem. Unfortunately for us that cannot go forward we will have to wait on Tech to come up with a solution. Even with the current update it does nothing for the progress of the character so your guess is as good as mine regarding fix. I dont know about others but there must be someone in tech that can sort out for us otherwise we could wait indefinitely.

• Like 1

I've completely given up on this expansion. To be honest, I just spent the money and suffered. Obviously I didn't cause the problem, but I am responsible for it.
Officials will only say that there is nothing they can do
There's nothing you can do
So what can players do?
What a shame for a good game
With such an official attitude
I chose to play Baldur's Gate 3 instead
They are the game companies that think about players

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Patch notes from yesterday:

Fixed an issue that prevented Second Hunter Kamilla from skipping certain dialogue steps for players who had already received the one-time gift of an uncommon Kryptis motivation.

No, you didn't. I'm still stuck on 'Take the motivation from Kamilla'.

I tried restarting the story step AGAIN, but no dice.

I mean, how very nice thay you added a fishing hole to a random POI. Don't you think things like this have a little more priority?

• Like 3

I don't think the authorities have the ability to solve this problem
Then we should have the right to ask for a refund
I have no reason to spend the same money
But only half of the content can be played
How long has this error been present?
8/24 Players have reacted
It’s been a month now
no solution
Not even a temporary remedial mechanism is in place.
You end up spending months solving this belated problem.
You won't compensate the players who have been waiting.

• Like 1

How long does it take from Tech designers to acknowledge this bug and to let people such as us reassurance that they are dealing with this immediately and give us some sort of time scale when it is corrected. Surely as a game player we deserve this and especially those dedicated to the game and gladly participate in its enjoyment. This situation tarnishes this so what are Guildwars Tech going to do about it. Its no good going to support as they cannot do anything. Would be nice to get some sort of reply from those higher up.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2023 at 5:24 AM, Kevin.7128 said:

I'm currently stuck at the story step 8. Into the Obscure where I need to use the motivation to enhance the Heart to locate a higher-tier target. I didn't receive the motivation item from Second Hunter Kamilla. 

I have reset this story step before. I think resetting the story step may have bugged the story for me. I reset this story step before because I had another issue where I couldn't progress even if I tried to go, scan, and kill the Tier 2 rifts. 

I have submitted a support ticket also for this.

Found a FIX : start chapter 7, then immediately start chapter 8 again. 8 is now resetted and u can do it again but without bug :)

Was stuck in the same area, and read a tip. Bought a couple of Uncommon Kryptis Motivation -- which appears to be useful only in one map. Started in Amnytus, used the Uncommon Kryptis Motivation, seen a red text "You have begun tracking for tier 2 rifts." Then scanned, got character speak, used the Heart to scan for a rift (J). Threw up catmander and called out in map chat Tier 2 Rift on Green. Was able to continue the story and not on chapter 9.

I have the same problem and was told by that this was being dealt with but no date when completed. I have returned to chapter 7 completed everything, gone to 8 and kamilla still has not given me the motivation. I have also done rifts buts still stuck and therefore cannot progress with story line. This sucks to be honest and I  hope Tech is on this. I thought when we had the last update it was corrected but no. Read a lot of info from other players and it seems to differ each time they completed. Logic tells me one way only to complete so how about making this a priority fix. Thank you

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 5:18 AM, Nihlus.9724 said:

I've beaten the SOTO story twice, so on my third go through I decided to experiment a little.

I was curious if one were to reset chapter 8 after Kamilla gives you the Uncommon Kryptis Motivation and replay the first few minutes of it again, if Kamilla would provide another Uncommon Kryptis Motivation. Turns out that to prevent people from doing this, the game just straight up breaks your ability to progress the story lol.

Kamilla is stuck and won't give you a second Uncommon Kryptis Motivation. Using the one you got from before won't unstuck her. I'm assuming destroying it won't either. And because the story objective won't move on from "Take the motivation from Kamilla," you can't just purchase/craft another Uncommon Kryptis Motivation to progress the story.

So yeah, one of my alts is now stuck on this step. Maybe this information will help Anet diagnose the issue.

This is 100% my issue as well only difference is that I've not beaten the story yet on a previous character, this is the first time I'm doing it. 
I went to replay story chapter 7 to get the achievements sorted. When going to back to replay chapter 8 I can't take the motivation from Kamilla. I was also not able to progress the story by crafting another Motivation and using it.

Edited by Micha.1024

Cannot get a motivation from Kamilla, she won't even talk to me, cannot progress in the story at all. I have tried buying motivations from the trading post, I've tried crafting them, and then activated them and hit scan, but nothing has worked.

I submitted a support ticket, I really hope Anet makes this a priority cause  I would really like to be able to finish the story so I can get the special wizard vault objectives before they're gone...

Edited by Sylvar.9634
Typos and capitalization
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2