Release old soundtracks?

Deihnyx.6318

Hello!

I was glad to notice that End of Dragons was recently made available on a broader list of services to buy (including lossless, finally!) along with the release of the SotO soundtrack.

Living Season 1 was "rereleased" recently as well, would it be possible to get a packaged soundtrack for this one too? All the other living seasons have one and season 1 had some of the most popular tracks (Battle of the Breachmaker on top...)

Other popular picks would be Super Adventure Box / Holiday Bundle theme and some missing raid bosses ~basically everything before HoT~

I know some of that is available exclusively on Soundcloud, but quite frankly the playlists aren't complete/up to date and making up a season 1 playlist isn't that straightforward.

Finally, that may be controversial, but since SotO is bringing back some legacy music... can we ever hope to see the GW1 albums surface online again? There are several gems (EotN Overture or Iron Footfalls...) that were never released in lossless/aren't available anywhere.

Thanks ❤️

Edited by Deihnyx.6318
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

you can thank the composer for that being an impossibility. Soule has sole distribution rights for Gulidwars 1’s soundtrack, and the entirety of GW2 up to the the Pact arc (basically all of core Tyria) .   

Thats a big deal, because half of GW2 soundtrack is directly from GW1.   They included a 4 CD set in the collectors edition of GW2, and to this day the majority of of owners have not gotten their copy due to Soule’s production company failing to fill even the first round of orders.  Digital versions of the music (last I checked) are available through Soule’s personal website, and are heavily DRM controlled.  When I tried to get the HD pack for GW1 client, it would only let me install it 3 times before demanding I buy it again. 

Anet eventually switched to in house after difficulties with the LS content music, and that time was Soule calling people who download music ‘nass zzs’ (sound it out).   

Untangling that is impossible due to Soule’s aggressive licensing negotiations, and general attitude to online distribution. 

Edited by starlinvf.1358
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, starlinvf.1358 said:

you can thank the composer for that being an impossibility. Soule has sole distribution rights for Gulidwars 1’s soundtrack, and the entirety of GW2 up to the the Pact arc (basically all of core Tyria) .   

Thats a big deal, because half of GW2 soundtrack is directly from GW1.   They included a 4 CD set in the collectors edition of GW2, and to this day the majority of of owners have not gotten their copy due to Soule’s production company failing to fill even the first round of orders.  Digital versions of the music (last I checked) are available through Soule’s personal website, and are heavily DRM controlled.  When I tried to get the HD pack for GW1 client, it would only let me install it 3 times before demanding I buy it again. 

Anet eventually switched to in house after difficulties with the LS content music, and that time was Soule calling people who download music ‘nass zzs’ (sound it out).   

Untangling that is impossible due to Soule’s aggressive licensing negotiations, and general attitude to online distribution. 

oh, finally! I've been wondering why the Guild Wars 2 original soundtrack was not available on Spotify. I always suspected that the composer owned the rights, but since he has music on Spotify, it always puzzled me why Guild Wars 2 wasn't.

I guess he doesn't want to promote Guild Wars at all then. And judging by your comment, it sounds like he's an... Oh welp, I just I'll just go listen to the soundtrack on YouTube 🙃

• Sad 2

On 9/4/2023 at 8:57 PM, starlinvf.1358 said:

I'm aware of that unfortunately. I'm not keeping my hopes up that the GW1 soundtracks ever get distributed again (directsong is dead by the way, so to this day you cannot legally obtain it at all...).
Also aware his behavior was really wrong. And quite ironic because there are people like me willing to obtain his music legally, but he ensured that the only way to ever obtain them is through piracy (and in decade old lossy format...).
But it sucks, because GW1's music is really, really good, and some of his other work (such as Skyrim, but also the Harry Potter game soundtracks for a time) was available digitally...

However for LS1 I thought that they had already switched to in-house, the aforementioned battle of the breachmaker for example should be part of it along with some others.

Edited by Deihnyx.6318

Yeah, it's a tragedy. Soule is a good composer, but he doesn't have a sound plan to distribute his work due to his paranoia of piracy. This results in people pirating his work, as piracy is the solution to the service problems of his own creation. People searching for his work eventually look for why it is difficult to buy his work and stumble upon his controversies. I hope he notices that someday. It feels like mutual punishment between himself and the would-be consumer.

Edited by Quench.7091
  • Like 4

Thanks for Fear not this night arenanet! Today marks the 6th anniversary of when I first heard it. I had goosebumps all over my body, I remember it to this day. What a great memories!

Soundtrack -> Guild Wars 2 | Fear Not This Night - Asja Kadric - YouTube / Kaioken Quincy - 6 lat temu! Ten temat mnie nakierował. Destiny!... | Facebook

Edited by Mirror.3521
  • Confused 1