You mean: Secrets of the Amnytas (secrets of the lag)

The insane lag in Amnytas reminds me of something that took place in FFXIV years ago

When I came to FFXIV about 2 years ago players told me a funny story about the "barrel of death" incident in the game. Players complained about issues of their FPS dropping in the worst way when looking at a specific area some time after the game came out. As time went on the FFXIV dev team finally fixed the issue and it turned out to be a good laugh. The reason why turned out to be a barrel outside a building that had thousands and thousands of polygons so when the player pointed their camera yonder, their GPU said "yeah, I'm going to take some time here and suck your FPS dry". Their Dev team fixed it by reducing the polygon count - but in the end everyone laughed.

Now, I cannot say that this is the same issue here with Amnytas but whenever you face your camera towards the center of the map your FPS drops, from anywhere to 100s to 28s FPS, even when you're behind walls inside a building running around. You look towards the center of the map and your GPU just vomits. I don't know what's going on, but whatever it is, it's in the center, upper portion of the map and it doesn't matter if the meta is going though the meta will make it a little worse.

About a week ago the in-game chat was discussing how bad the performance is out there and one person said "it's fine for me". (it was a ranger class... we kidnapped his pet, cooked it up and ate it inside the Bastian of Balance Waypoint cave while he wasn't looking... that'll teach him)

Anyway, I really hope this isn't one of those things that's being ignored by the AnrenaNet Dev team because this is absolutely horrible.. While I have played games year back that had horrible performance bugs/issues, nothing is comparable to this zone in the new expansion.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

There is definitely something weird with the new maps, especially amnytas. Though the wizards tower is pretty bad as well. Both just completely nuke FPS from orbit no matter what settings i use.

I wonder if its something to do with specific hardware if it doesn't happen to everyone. Myself i run on an all AMD setup with a Ryzen 5900x and an RX 6800 XT and 32GB of ram, so it should be more than enough to run the game. So I'm curious to see what people that don't get (or notice) the bug are running hardware wise. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, PzTnT.7198 said:

There is definitely something weird with the new maps, especially amnytas. Though the wizards tower is pretty bad as well. Both just completely nuke FPS from orbit no matter what settings i use.

I wonder if its something to do with specific hardware if it doesn't happen to everyone. Myself i run on an all AMD setup with a Ryzen 5900x and an RX 6800 XT and 32GB of ram, so it should be more than enough to run the game. So I'm curious to see what people that don't get (or notice) the bug are running hardware wise. 

Wizard's Tower kills my FPS, too.  I thought I'd enjoy that as a hub, but not with this amount of lag.  I'm better off waypointing back to Divinity's Reach.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Wizard's Tower kills my FPS, too.  I thought I'd enjoy that as a hub, but not with this amount of lag.  I'm better off waypointing back to Divinity's Reach.

For some reason it also takes a very long time to load in the first place, which doesn't help. I should probably go back to parking my characters in arborstone instead.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1