What gathering tools set to get?

jokke.6239

So, I thought it was just skins

But apparently there's different cast times

I did pick up the skyscale tools

But I think I'll grab another one so I don't have to unequip my main

Of the current ones on offer, what are the most reccommended for quick gathering?

Also, I assume the speed is tied to skin right? So the cast time will change if I reskin one of the skyscale tools?

Edited by jokke.6239
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, jokke.6239 said:

So, I thought it was just skins

But apparently there's different cast times

I did pick up the skyscale tools

But I think I'll grab another one so I don't have to unequip my main

Of the current ones on offer, what are the most reccommended for quick gathering?

Also, I assume the speed is tied to skin right? So the cast time will change if I reskin one of the skyscale tools?

First of all it can be useful to know when you have any Gathering Tool that you can actually transmute that skin on any other tool (at least Infinite version) ones. So if you own Skyscale Hatchling for gathering plants, you can use the same skin from Wardrobe and transmute (from your Wallet) to get that on any other Infinite gathering tool.

As for which skin that are faster, I would say both Unstable Magic and Volatile Magic have some channel animation as it is meant to show that you are channelling magic in some form. This means that the animation also take a bit time compared to Hatchling.

I haven't got every Infinite tool there is in game, so I can't tell which is faster, but in general those that doesn't show a complex animation or channel (even if you aren't really channelling) will be faster as long we talk about default animation.

Industrial Glyph give a buff effect 50% that reduce time between each strike, so independent on animation it is the faster one.

You can see animation when those are in Gem Store as preview to test out approximately how long it will take from first strike to last strike.

When writing this I am not at my computer so I can see what is on offer in Gem Store, but I would first look at what kind of Glyph that each tool will come with as that can be moved to any gathering tool even those that only have charges (and have one upgrade slot for Glyph).

You can buy Glyph from Black Lion Trade Post, so I would compared what you have to pay in Gold to get that Glyph if that might be cheaper to buy as a package from Gem Store.

Then I would look at speed of skin and how they work for everyday use as some can be very flashy and might even become annoying over time, if you don't want to use as a gathering skin you already own to replace it.

In my opinion the best Glyph when you farm any nodes that are close together would be the Reaping one as that collect everything in an AoE range. This cuts down time to go from node to node.

Reaping also is the best when you play WvW and have Synthetic Nodes that stand close to each other or have a Guild with upgraded Guild Hall and nodes there. In Home Instance you have also nodes standing close, so all in all I find it to be most useful to farm things fast and do other stuff.

Unstable Magic/Volatile Magic will depend on which maps you spend most of your time in.

VM Orbs can be found in core maps and PoF maps, so if you spend a lot of time there you would probably want Unstable Magic (to be able to buy ascended items without having to farm UM  - you will still need to have map currency to be able to purchase those items from vendor) and the reverse for VM if you play a lot in HoT and LW season related to HoT where you more UM Orbs.

Karma is another option, but you can also find Orbs of Karma in Bjora Marches map (IBS), so it depends on what you need most.

Edited by ShadowCatz.8437
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, ShadowCatz.8437 said:

First of all it can be useful to know when you have any Gathering Tool that you can actually transmute that skin on any other tool (at least Infinite version) ones. So if you own Skyscale Hatchling for gathering plants, you can use the same skin from Wardrobe and transmute (from your Wallet) to get that on any other Infinite gathering tool.

As for which skin that are faster, I would say both Unstable Magic and Volatile Magic have some channel animation as it is meant to show that you are channelling magic in some form. This means that the animation also take a bit time compared to Hatchling.

I haven't got every Infinite tool there is in game, so I can't tell which is faster, but in general those that doesn't show a complex animation or channel (even if you aren't really channelling) will be faster as long we talk about default animation.

Industrial Glyph give a buff effect 50% that reduce time between each strike, so independent on animation it is the faster one.

You can see animation when those are in Gem Store as preview to test out approximately how long it will take from first strike to last strike.

When writing this I am not at my computer so I can see what is on offer in Gem Store, but I would first look at what kind of Glyph that each tool will come with as that can be moved to any gathering tool even those that only have charges (and have one upgrade slot for Glyph).

You can buy Glyph from Black Lion Trade Post, so I would compared what you have to pay in Gold to get that Glyph if that might be cheaper to buy as a package from Gem Store.

Then I would look at speed of skin and how they work for everyday use as some can be very flashy and might even become annoying over time, if you don't want to use as a gathering skin you already own to replace it.

In my opinion the best Glyph when you farm any nodes that are close together would be the Reaping one as that collect everything in an AoE range. This cuts down time to go from node to node.

Reaping also is the best when you play WvW and have Synthetic Nodes that stand close to each other or have a Guild with upgraded Guild Hall and nodes there. In Home Instance you have also nodes standing close, so all in all I find it to be most useful to farm things fast and do other stuff.

Unstable Magic/Volatile Magic will depend on which maps you spend most of your time in.

VM Orbs can be found in core maps and PoF maps, so if you spend a lot of time there you would probably want Unstable Magic (to be able to buy ascended items without having to farm UM  - you will still need to have map currency to be able to purchase those items from vendor) and the reverse for VM if you play a lot in HoT and LW season related to HoT where you more UM Orbs.

Karma is another option, but you can also find Orbs of Karma in Bjora Marches map (IBS), so it depends on what you need most.

Thanks

Here's the ones on sale right now

Infinite Choya Gathering Tools 2400 gems

Infinite Cosmic Gathering Tools 2400 gems

Infinite Elemental Gathering Tools 2400 gems

Infinite Glacial Gathering Tools 2400 gems

Infinite Skyscale Gathering Tools 2400 gems

They come with a choice of glyph

I chose volatile on the skyscale tools

• Sad 1

There's two parts to consider in mostly isolation from each other: 1) The animation used to gather. 2) The glyph used.

For the gathering animation, there are 2 considerations: Speed of animation, and number of gather "hits" you get from the animation. I only considered animation speed and found the following tools to have the fastest animations:

Plants - Consortium or Fused

Logging - Firestorm

Pick - Unbound or Shifting Sands (Edit: I might have got Shifting Sand for the bounty glyph. Unbound and Volatile picks might be the fastest)

Don't forget you only need one of the "best" skin. You can transmute it onto other tools (including non-infinite tools if I'm not mistaken).

They have released new tools since I looked into it, so it is entirely possible there are new tools that are faster or have better hits (I only considered animation speed).

For glyphs, there are a few considerations. Do you want faster gathering? Most gold? Help getting specific resources? Fast Farming has a per hit gold breakdown for each of the glyphs.

I personally prefer Glyph of Bounty for high value plants, and glyph of Volatile Magic for most everything else. Unbound magic glyphs could be good, but because the berry farm is so easy and fast I prefer getting passive Volatile Magic. I don't have it, but the glyph that gives leather could also be good.

Given all this, I really wish the Infinite Elemental Gathering Tools pack was available when I bought tools. The firestorm axe originally didn't come with a glyph, so now I have an extra tool with no glyph.

There is some more info on animations speeds here:

Edited by Atraleos.5849
Note on pick
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Atraleos.5849 said:

There's two parts to consider in mostly isolation from each other: 1) The animation used to gather. 2) The glyph used.

For the gathering animation, there are 2 considerations: Speed of animation, and number of gather "hits" you get from the animation. I only considered animation speed and found the following tools to have the fastest animations:

Plants - Consortium or Fused

Logging - Firestorm

Pick - Unbound or Shifting Sands (Edit: I might have got Shifting Sand for the bounty glyph. Unbound and Volatile picks might be the fastest)

Don't forget you only need one of the "best" skin. You can transmute it onto other tools (including non-infinite tools if I'm not mistaken).

They have released new tools since I looked into it, so it is entirely possible there are new tools that are faster or have better hits (I only considered animation speed).

For glyphs, there are a few considerations. Do you want faster gathering? Most gold? Help getting specific resources? Fast Farming has a per hit gold breakdown for each of the glyphs.

I personally prefer Glyph of Bounty for high value plants, and glyph of Volatile Magic for most everything else. Unbound magic glyphs could be good, but because the berry farm is so easy and fast I prefer getting passive Volatile Magic. I don't have it, but the glyph that gives leather could also be good.

Given all this, I really wish the Infinite Elemental Gathering Tools pack was available when I bought tools. The firestorm axe originally didn't come with a glyph, so now I have an extra tool with no glyph.

There is some more info on animations speeds here:

Thanks so much for that detailed response

I actually did some research before reading your post

The first one I bought, the skyscale pack, apparently was not a bad choice.

The mining pick gatheres 5 notes from mining nodes. So I think it should be one of the better choices for mining pick.

The logging axe has a bug though. It will sometimes only gather 2 instead of 3.

I found out that glacial is a good choice for logging since it's heavily affected by quickness.

So I went with the glacial set to replace the skyscale logging axe

I went with volatile glyphs for all

• Confused 1