Is Alliances now officially dead?

Alliances are postponed, ok. But I read the Studio Update article as "the world restructuring will simply go live without the alliances part". If that is true, we'll get a new system based on guilds only, without the ability to organize ourselves, especially smaller guilds, in some way across guilds In other words, smaller guilds will get new teams every "relink", based on some algorithm. Social bonds between these guilds will break. The only way to prevent that would be the creation of large wvw guilds just for the matchmaking. We should prepare ourselves for that.

In the last few beta weeks, I heard a lot of complaints on the channels about not being able to play with friends from other guilds (which are on the same servers of course). Most of these people "endured" the betas, or didn't play in wvw at all, in hope of the upcoming guild alliances. @Anet , prepare for massive complaints when you really do it this way. Don't underestimate the social aspects of the current system, on some servers this is much more important than winning or losing a tier.

Alliances will never be live , ANet will focus on “fair” matchmaking and linking. No irony in that. If you don’t believe the fair matchmaking they will focus on look at the last links they made xD. WvW is getting worse with each month. The mode keeps getting neglected and the ANet team keeps spilling empty promises to keep our attention for a bit longer. 

I keep my hopes up that they will release that this lack of actions is slowly killing the game mode, but we will see. For now alliances is just a roomer that inhabits the forums and dreams of some wvw players.

On 10/5/2023 at 5:13 PM, Dawdler.8521 said:

We have been saying delete a tier for years but server pride peeps are against it - ie the same peeps that are also against world restructure. And doing three-way links would take two steps more toward world restructure anyway.

I am not sure how you delete a tier when every BL has a massive Queue on reset, IMHO, we need another tier!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A New Beta is planned to start in 'Early' 2024.

We’ll also be running another World Restructuring beta in early 2024. As we discussed in our last studio update, the WvW team has shifted their priority to releasing a live version of the guild-based World Restructuring system. Doing this allows us to get consistent live data and feedback from the community to inform our continued development and improvement. 

Since our last beta, we’ve addressed a number of issues with guild selection, queue failures, reset issues, and more. In the next beta, we’ll be testing the new team builder, UI updates, and bug fixes. Assuming everything goes well with that test, we will be able to move forward with turning the system on full time. While we don’t have dates for the beta or initial release at this time, we will let you know as soon as possible to allow you time to organize your guilds.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en-gb/news/studio-update-guild-wars-2-in-autumn-and-winter-2023/

Edited by CrimsonOneThree.5682