Avatar of Regret and Shared Destruction

Gwyn.9653

This ability is still bugged and the green circles are instant downing everyone in them. Can you fix this already? It's bad enough that you put raid/strike fail mechanics in open world content, at least make it work. It would be better to just remove the instant down garbage. It's not compelling gameplay in any way to mash the special action key that's given to you, spend your time running around looking for the right one before engaging, or just accept that you're going to get smashed because "reasons" for the mark of death and then have to deal with shared destruction which is either meaningless or crippling depending entirely on the size of the blob accompanying you (if it actually worked properly).

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Shared destruction is what the sniper from Kaineng Overlook uses. It's supposed to do damage equal to the max health of whoever it targets spread out over everyone in the circle. It appears to just be doing max health to everyone in the circle. If it is supposed to be doing anything different than that then they need to not be lazy and give it a different name. I still stand by the fact that unavoidable instant down mechanics are not compelling game play for open world content. Unavoidable anything for open world content just makes for tedium at best.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Wanted to add that yesterday in Mount Maelstrom there were two instances of green circles downing everyone in them, but also players (myself  included) quite a distance away from the greens, also getting downed. I only mention this because I’ve been running away from the green circles to avoid the insta-death until we get clarification from the devs about how they’re supposed to work, but it was wild to get downed even when i was nowhere near them. I can’t remember if it was the Regret champion, but both were T2 rift bosses. Combat log shows being hit by two stacks of shared destruction each time. 

It really is adding an unnecessary layer of frustration to these champions that players are having to work around and it’s not the first time it’s been mentioned on this forum. Given how much anet are pushing rifts, addressing this ought be a priority. If it’s bug, please confirm. If not, then PLEASE let us know how it’s supposed to work.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

It is odd because I sometimes (in SotO map open world content) read that people want you to move away and not stack in the circle - when from the fractals we know that green = good = stacking, other ones = run away. (Known from Siren's Reef for example.) Not sure if the fractal has a different mechanics here and in open world you really need to move away ... or if you need to stack and the people just do not know about this.

Basically I just don't care cause it is just zerging the mobs down (even for champs) in open world. 😄

Edit: Saw something on reddit where someone explained that 3 people should stack - with green circles. (And others not.) That ... I do not know from playing fractals and the 3 easy IBS strikes. (No other instanced content played.) If it really acts like this ... they need the NPCs to have it explain better. Usually you have some NPCs with some voice lines nearby saying stuff. For copy-paste events like rifts this might not work for everywhere.

But with a tutorial with that boss - during the story maybe. I have not even noticed that there was more than 1 person with green circles. (Since I did not even got the idea to search for more. I saw one - and thought of Siren's Reef -> meaning you have to move there.) With lots of people nearby and a ton of effects this might not be the best idea to introduce too  fancy mechanics.

An NPC nearby could be like "attention he is preparing a super strong attack ... the 3 green people need to move on top of each other and make love to defend the group with the power of love - others must not disturb them and should move far away" 😄 Something like that. There are a lot of examples where the NPCs give hints with audio lines. I mean ... even in the fractals. (Nightmare ..."the shield the shield" the one guy that gives the hint even though everything in the screen already makes you know that you have to move to the shield lol.)

Edited by Luthan.5236
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Luthan.5236 said:

It is odd because I sometimes (in SotO map open world content) read that people want you to move away and not stack in the circle - when from the fractals we know that green = good = stacking, other ones = run away. (Known from Siren's Reef for example.) Not sure if the fractal has a different mechanics here and in open world you really need to move away ... or if you need to stack and the people just do not know about this.

Initially that’s what everyone thought too, that green = good and to stack. But with how the green circles work in rifts, that’s basically a death sentence. Groups have tried everything, which is why the advice now is to move away to avoid taking damage, and if you’re the one with the green circle, to get behind something to break line of sight, which null and voids the attack altogether.

Also worth noting that if players have their settings checked to hide player effects, that also hides the green circles on other players, so you could be standing in one without knowing until you’re downed. 

• Like 3

Have people actually tried to track the damage in the combat log? (I usually never inspect it.) Maybe instead of dividing the damage ... they used the wrong operator ... and 2 people in the circle does mean double damage - instead of half for everyone. (But then it would not insta down when it was only 1. And would give higher numbers when more people were in the circle.)

Could also be an option that the base damage is calculated on the total number of people assuming everyone does the mechanics correctly. In raids/fractals you have the fixed amount of people.

Imagine if you have 20 people doing the boss and the base damage is X (the intended one to take - where they balanced it around) and with only 5 people in the circle it would be (base damage * 20 / 5) ... less noticable if 10 are around only but 5 out of 10 are doing the mechanics.

Now ... wild guess: If 10 people are afk not tooo far away (still being take into account by the event for doing the calculations/scaling) ... of course it would always give big damage since a lot are not even participating. (Even if the every active one does the mechanics.) But that would show different numbers in the log then - I guess. All enough to insta down. But different - sometimes higher. or lower.

I’ve only really been checking my combat logs since this has been happening, because i was curious as to where the damage was coming from, to see if i was missing something obvious. I wonder if a lot of players have just accepted it at this point, which i get.

My instincts say it’s bugged, but you pose some good questions, which just makes me more curious as to what the intended mechanic is meant to be. Might go take the hit in some green circles tonight, see if there’s anything i’m missing.

• Like 1

It's honestly a feature at this point.
If you pay attention to the names of the Avatars, their abilities tend to inflict the Avatar in which they represent:
Gluttony, eats your boons.
Despair, moves around a lot so you miss your damage.
Regret, makes you regret buying the expansion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8
  • Confused 1

Generally, I am not near anything to break line of sight, but I do move away from the group. The farther I get, my chances of surviving the attach increases. Maybe they need to change the color of that attack, because I thought it was part of the meta event, only to die. 😅.  Generally running on my Scrapper, so speed boost isn't a problem getting some distance. 

Doing rifts and get a green circle on you, move away from boss and group.. or kill them all.

• Like 1

From my understanding it should be doing damage equal to the max health (ignoring armor) of whoever the primary target is divided among everyone in the circle.

I've looked through combat logs and it seems like it's just treating everyone in the circle like the main target, resulting in multiple hits for different amounts and everyone getting getting murdered no matter how many people there are. 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2023 at 9:42 PM, Gwyn.9653 said:

This ability is still bugged and the green circles are instant downing everyone in them. Can you fix this already? It's bad enough that you put raid/strike fail mechanics in open world content, at least make it work. It would be better to just remove the instant down garbage. It's not compelling gameplay in any way to mash the special action key that's given to you, spend your time running around looking for the right one before engaging, or just accept that you're going to get smashed because "reasons" for the mark of death and then have to deal with shared destruction which is either meaningless or crippling depending entirely on the size of the blob accompanying you (if it actually worked properly).

Agreed entirely. It needs to be fixed, considering that they've clearly been doing a lot of work on rift events in the open world. The raid/strike mechanics being forced into open world content was a massive failure in EoD, and they apparently have not learned from this mistake. At least the metas are better, though!

22 hours ago, Gwyn.9653 said:

Shared destruction is what the sniper from Kaineng Overlook uses. It's supposed to do damage equal to the max health of whoever it targets spread out over everyone in the circle. It appears to just be doing max health to everyone in the circle. If it is supposed to be doing anything different than that then they need to not be lazy and give it a different name. I still stand by the fact that unavoidable instant down mechanics are not compelling game play for open world content. Unavoidable anything for open world content just makes for tedium at best.

Agreed again. Unavoidable tedium is making the game more of a job than a fun way to unwind from a full-time job. The incessant conditions that last way past the point of killing things, mobs that aggro from miles away, and this nonsense are all reasons why I've been playing about half as much since the launch week of SotO. Anet, I'm going to drop this here and continue to drop it everywhere I can: Please stop catering to the top maybe 5% of players and start thinking about the 95%! Yes, we need challenging content. That does not mean making everyday open world gameplay a nightmare!

16 hours ago, Bad Wolf.3541 said:

Wanted to add that yesterday in Mount Maelstrom there were two instances of green circles downing everyone in them, but also players (myself  included) quite a distance away from the greens, also getting downed. I only mention this because I’ve been running away from the green circles to avoid the insta-death until we get clarification from the devs about how they’re supposed to work, but it was wild to get downed even when i was nowhere near them. I can’t remember if it was the Regret champion, but both were T2 rift bosses. Combat log shows being hit by two stacks of shared destruction each time. 

It really is adding an unnecessary layer of frustration to these champions that players are having to work around and it’s not the first time it’s been mentioned on this forum. Given how much anet are pushing rifts, addressing this ought be a priority. If it’s bug, please confirm. If not, then PLEASE let us know how it’s supposed to work.

This is something I experienced as well, although it was in Amnytas and Skywatch. Then, at other times, it's not an instant down. No one seems to have a clue how to respond to this mechanic, and two stacks are certainly not intended, I would think.

15 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Basically I just don't care cause it is just zerging the mobs down (even for champs) in open world. 😄

Edit: Saw something on reddit where someone explained that 3 people should stack - with green circles. (And others not.) That ... I do not know from playing fractals and the 3 easy IBS strikes. (No other instanced content played.) If it really acts like this ... they need the NPCs to have it explain better. Usually you have some NPCs with some voice lines nearby saying stuff. For copy-paste events like rifts this might not work for everywhere.

But with a tutorial with that boss - during the story maybe. I have not even noticed that there was more than 1 person with green circles. (Since I did not even got the idea to search for more. I saw one - and thought of Siren's Reef -> meaning you have to move there.) With lots of people nearby and a ton of effects this might not be the best idea to introduce too  fancy mechanics.

An NPC nearby could be like "attention he is preparing a super strong attack ... the 3 green people need to move on top of each other and make love to defend the group with the power of love - others must not disturb them and should move far away" 😄 Something like that. There are a lot of examples where the NPCs give hints with audio lines. I mean ... even in the fractals. (Nightmare ..."the shield the shield" the one guy that gives the hint even though everything in the screen already makes you know that you have to move to the shield lol.)

There are already an overwhelming number of horrendously intrusive pop-ups and audio dialogue that can't be turned off. We don't need more of this clogging up our screens because of broken mechanics. Fix the issues, and please, Anet, give us the option to turn off ALL POPUPS!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bella Rikka.2387 said:

There are already an overwhelming number of horrendously intrusive pop-ups and audio dialogue that can't be turned off. We don't need more of this clogging up our screens because of broken mechanics. Fix the issues, and please, Anet, give us the option to turn off ALL POPUPS!

This is true, but this should definitely be an audio cue (only in the actual event area though). It may be that this isn’t actually “broken”; with no cue and it not working like similar-looking mechanics elsewhere we don’t know if it’s not working properly, or we aren’t doing what was intended.

Pretty much every other insta-down mechanic in the open world has an audio cue, like the “Get behind something!” in the Echovald meta, or the “Quick, get in the bubble!” in Gyala Delve.

• Like 1

As a Mesmer I can escape it at least once with a well timed distortion. 
But yeah I don't understand either how to fully nullify it, sometimes I manage to survive with little hp left, sometimes I go down. I never tried to go away or to hide behind something. Obviously the avatar of Regret is my least favorite kryptis boss.🤣

• Like 1

It's really bad. This needs to either be fixed if bugged, or ANet clarify what the intended solution for the mechanic is. Based on other green circle mechanics, getting away and breaking line of sight doesn't really seem to be it, but is certainly the best thing to do that we know of.

Edited by Banim.8495
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Manpag.6421 said:

This is true, but this should definitely be an audio cue (only in the actual event area though). It may be that this isn’t actually “broken”; with no cue and it not working like similar-looking mechanics elsewhere we don’t know if it’s not working properly, or we aren’t doing what was intended.

Pretty much every other insta-down mechanic in the open world has an audio cue, like the “Get behind something!” in the Echovald meta, or the “Quick, get in the bubble!” in Gyala Delve.

Funny how Gyala Delve is a meta that nobody does and Echovald is  an actual corpse piling meta. 

This is cropping up in stuff that is otherwise small group/solo content and is an ability that shares a name with a known mechanic. There's no excuse for this. 

Even for the Soto metas it isn't justified because they show up during split phases and the constant obliteration of one group screws with the meta progression for no reason. 

Edited by Gwyn.9653
  • Like 2

Make it a bad red,pink,cyan or whatever colored cycle if we're not supposed to treat it as the usual mechanic... how bout outward pointing arrows so players see okay... keep away from marked player?

There are many solutions to this issue and they don't need a lot of creativity to be honest. So far, IF I get the regret green - I run behind the next wall/tree and break line of sight. 100% works and no one gets downed by me 🙂 Running away still ends up with you getting damaged but breaking LoS ends up with 0 damage taken

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Raven Enjoyer.3204 said:

Make it a bad red,pink,cyan or whatever colored cycle if we're not supposed to treat it as the usual mechanic... how bout outward pointing arrows so players see okay... keep away from marked player?

If the mechanic is not bugged, then I second this idea. Currently the green circles have arrows pointing inwards indicating to players that they should get inside it, and that's another reason why everyone's confused that they're getting downed as a result.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1