This update proves that previews are needed.

SolarDragon.7063

2 hours ago, KryTiKaL.3125 said:

It isn't just the previews, its other things like notifications of when events are running and how they work and how that information is distributed, what feedback is being considered and where best to post it, if feedback is being considered, updates on roadmaps, responses to broad player concerns, etc, etc.

Also you may not be "fussed" about what other companies do, but I can assure you it provides a great deal of context and comparison to the relationship other companies have with their communities. These are important variables and have become ever increasingly important variables and considerations in the industry as more and more players themselves are pushing for more transparency and communication from these entities running and designing these games.

Again, I'm not in disagreement of the benefits or the reasons it's good for Anet to give us previews or any other information about the game so ... OK. People don't like that they didn't get a preview? Sure, complain, make a reddit rant, whatever ... but it's not because people need them to interact with the game. We want to talk about 'proper communication'? That goes BOTH ways. How about we start with legitimate reasons it's good for Anet to provide previews.

2 hours ago, KryTiKaL.3125 said:

Also your implication in that final thought of yours is pretty direct in its consequences; the more this occurs the more people voice displeasure or dissatisfaction with the current state of things, which is the exact thing being done in this thread, or they leave the game and find somewhere else to go. Which I do recommend doing if anyone is that unsatisfied with their experience on any game.

I'm aware of that. So is Anet. That doesn't mean Anet has to provide everything to everyone demands of them. 

Let's be honest here ... this whole thread isn't about some need players have for previews. It's about players FOMO because they have some weird idea about how bad Anet needs their feedback for balance. That's not how it works. If Anet wants feedback, prior to a patch THEN we will get previews. Interestingly, I suspect the reason we didn't get a preview is exactly because of proper communication because it's pretty clear pre-release feedback wasn't wanted for this patch. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Let's be honest here ... this whole thread isn't about some need players have for previews. It's about players FOMO because they have some weird idea about how bad Anet needs their feedback for balance. That's not how it works. If Anet wants feedback, prior to a patch THEN we will get previews. Interestingly, I suspect the reason we didn't get a preview is exactly because of proper communication because it's pretty clear pre-release feedback wasn't wanted for this patch. 

The other variable as to lack of preview is likely due to the fact that the prior PvP related balance patch did get a preview (back in June) as a precursor to SOTO release, players gave feedback, ANet did nothing despite said feedback even though they gave the preview post and asked in their standard fashion for feedback.

Also I believe that may also be part of the problem; the possible judgement that they don't need the feedback. Now I'm not saying all feedback given is good, but given the last pvp balance patch and also how the meta is playing out now since SOTO release...they needed the feedback, and also to maybe clue people in on the fact that the June 27th patch was undoubtedly done with incoming SOTO additions/changes in mind yet that was not stated. With how close it was in proximity to SOTOs release there is absolutely no way it wasn't, not unless their teams are not communicating with one another...which that would be an entirely different, larger issue.

6 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Let's be honest here

sez you. as i already told you multiple time, current state is that players do have a need for previews, and that goes for anet too.

its just that players have almost no say in the process, while anet decided, for both parties mind you, that costs outweigh the benefits.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KryTiKaL.3125 said:

The other variable as to lack of preview is likely due to the fact that the prior PvP related balance patch did get a preview (back in June) as a precursor to SOTO release, players gave feedback, ANet did nothing despite said feedback even though they gave the preview post and asked in their standard fashion for feedback.

Also I believe that may also be part of the problem; the possible judgement that they don't need the feedback. Now I'm not saying all feedback given is good, but given the last pvp balance patch and also how the meta is playing out now since SOTO release...they needed the feedback, and also to maybe clue people in on the fact that the June 27th patch was undoubtedly done with incoming SOTO additions/changes in mind yet that was not stated. With how close it was in proximity to SOTOs release there is absolutely no way it wasn't, not unless their teams are not communicating with one another...which that would be an entirely different, larger issue.

I don't doubt they need feedback or they have numerous ways to get it. The problem is that feedback based on previews is inaccurate , of varied quality and would be relatively time-intensive compared to more direct interactions.

Player FOMO hits hard but the impact of not getting previews when Anet doesn't want our feedback prior to a patch release is low to none. 

Edited by Obtena.7952

On 10/12/2023 at 9:20 AM, peperoncino.2516 said:

-signed, secretly an employee of anet..?

you do realise that perfect golem performance is not a good way to balance the game? dps should only be within those meaningless margins of each other if every spec also brings about the same in utility/flexibility/whatever. current balance is neither.

Nono, dont stop there, please tell me which builds in the mass of  "this is perfectly fine" builds you think arent capable of being competitive on multiple encounters, both raid and strike.  

Please note, that list doesnt include Power Core Engi (which is perfectly fine almost everywhere, but isnt recommended for long fights because its APM is almost unbearable after ~6 minutes), or condi core engi (which has the downside of not being better than condi mech or condi holo, where PCEng is higher than both scrapper and mech)

There is a difference between "you really shouldnt play any quick dps except herald" because Herald is far into the bonkers end of the scale (and we still play qharb on a couple fights anyway...), and "you cannot possibly keep up with these specs", which is where you find Miralac and PAMech (Which I still have to play on 3 fights every week because its less time to play that on KC, Sam and CA than swap characters for 1 fight per wing).

On 10/16/2023 at 5:52 AM, GamerToad.9248 said:

PvE is not only thing that exists in the game.. competitive modes is a mess right now.

Competitive modes will forever be a mess until enough people at ANet have both the ability AND want to do something about it.

I dont disagree with your take either, but they need a whole lot more than a preview to not be dumpster fires. 

1 hour ago, Barraind.7324 said:

Nono, dont stop there, please tell me which builds in the mass of  "this is perfectly fine" builds you think arent capable of being competitive on multiple encounters, both raid and strike.  

weaver, for example. if not trying to cheese some encounter along with your bros from the speedrunning guild, or if you dont have soto warhorn, what reason is there to play any of the weaver builds? even other ele especs all provide more utility, can provide boons, and also just deal more damage, on top of being able to fill in as something other than a dps that is.

point is, there should be various reasons, whatever they might be, for the player to decide on one thing over another, which applies to all choices in game - profs, weapons, gear, and specs too.