Help with sPvp Herald

chaoslordlol.3165

Hello revenant enjoyers. 
I switched to revenant about a few weeks ago from Weaver and Deadeye and I really enjoy the class itself. The thing is I like sPvP but I just cant seem to find success with the class. I tried for now Power herald but every class seems to do what I do just better xD 
Any tips on good Herald builds and or what I should learn properly or idk some information? 

Every info is appreciated. PS moving to another class is meh so thats the only thing I dont really need to hear :x xD

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, arazoth.7290 said:

real duelist build playstyles there aren't really, and if there are it is mostly because some roamer build is too strong and versatile.

can you tell the build you're using, weapons, amulet sigils, rune and relic currently?

yes gladly ofc. This one is the one im using https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Herald_-_Power_Shiro

Im struggling especially against condi builds like condi mirage I usually take cleansing sigils whenever I see a zerker or a mirage. Outside of that I dont feel like I do nearly enough damage to duel anything. While I roll the zerker rune I deal no damage and a friend of mine rolls the marauder one and deals even more then me with zerker :x 

I understand that class balance but so far apart really? xD

44 minutes ago, chaoslordlol.3165 said:

yes gladly ofc. This one is the one im using https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Herald_-_Power_Shiro

Im struggling especially against condi builds like condi mirage I usually take cleansing sigils whenever I see a zerker or a mirage. Outside of that I dont feel like I do nearly enough damage to duel anything. While I roll the zerker rune I deal no damage and a friend of mine rolls the marauder one and deals even more then me with zerker :x 

I understand that class balance but so far apart really? xD

mmm, try this instead:

Herald stance/ assassin stance

salvation traitline: 3-2-2

Invocation traitline: 1-1-1 (You should have enough swiftness boon duration/speed, otherwise 1-2-1)

Herald traitline: 3-3-2

(because of using shield, you have 5 extra conditions cleansed)=> gives more cleansing then staff in total and more damage, also block and evade skill but more damage.

Weapons: Greatsword + sword/shield

Sigils of energy + Sigils of cleansing

Amulet of the berserker

Rune of the ranger

Relic of the defender/relic of evasion ( if you want more vigor or more healing from blocks. More vigor is also higher uptime on dodges and more dodge cleansing)

You can still roam fast over the map, +1 people and engage in teamfights to pick people off before disengaging fast after and roam further. You also should be able to duel better and same time higher uptime for more damage because you don't sit on staff

Edited by arazoth.7290
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

okayy idk if you tested, but just tested. Although it sounded good on paper it lacks. Better Take the roamer build traitwise from online. Hold zerker amulet/ rune of the ranger + relic of evasion and energy + cleansing sigils. weapons:  Greatsword/shortbow. shortbow atleast gives pressure from ranged. You will lack on cleanse herald because Herald stance doesn't has natural cleansing abilitie unless traited or different legendary stance. But that is at the cost on damage. You can get away with more condi removal if you go along the way with condition, because this gives more room for cleansing by different trait building/stance.

I've tried some Herald variants this evening/night and this the one which Ihad most success (I wasn't familiar enough with the support builds, tho):

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmwAUlflhQMMJqjFRcMIyjBSkMBigDrUW7C-Dax8QiUBkpUoXRgjPBAAA

Shiro + Mallyx, short bow + mace & axe, Corruption 2,1,1 Invocation 1,1,1 Herald 3,2,1, Wizzard amulet with Lynx runes, Energy sigils + Doom & Cleansing.

Modus operandi: is a hybrid build with mediocre physical damage (low crit chance and damage, decent base power) but high condition damage, good mobility and very good access to crowd control. You play safe at range most of the time and use short bow auto attacks + Bloodbane to poke enemies, and when you see a target wasting evades or blocks you presure tehm with Temporal Rift (AoE pull each 15s), Scorchrazor (AoE knockdown each 18s), Call To anguish (25 energy) or Jade Winds (50 energy). That's just to set up you wild cards: things as Sevenshot, Spiritcrush or Searing Fissure for heavy damage or just swaping legend to proc Invoke Torment: Diabolic Inferno or just use Banish Enchantment to boonrip enemies.

Doesn't have mandatory traits: I focused my choices in mobility to being able to enter and leave combat very fast and the playstile resembles hammer Warrior due the amount of cc you can chain, but the advantage is that you can fight at any range. The HP is high and since you share boons and boons heals (and also skills with energy cost) you your sustain is quite good. You don't have much cleanses but you become almost immune to things as roots (you spam Resistance while using Mallyx skills) and you get access to Resolution with Pain Absortion (you can get more passively with a trit change). 

I think that this is the condi dark side of Hearld which mirrors the power short bow Vindicator: whereas the vindicator does mostly physical damage (in PvP, celestial in WvW) and has as strong points the uptime of evades, constant regeneration and powerful cleanses, this hybridi Herald focuses in conditions, heavy cc and mitigating damage while getting small heals. Is also a rivalr to the current Ranger builds based on setting a cc and landing heavy physical burst or condi bombs in a stunned/knockdown/rooted foe: you can scape/avoid some of those and your cc game is similar. Rangers still have notable invulns,, but thay are mostly single target, whereas this build works well in 1 v 1 but breaks havoc in small skirmishes.

Edited by Buran.3796
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, chaoslordlol.3165 said:

Alright here is a small edit for the first build GS / SWxS

I struggle less against condies yes but I struggle very much against power builds. The double evade staff provides is too good against them. Kind of like stuck between a rock and a hard place honestly xD 

Ill try the condi build now

Here another, since you're also trying condi on Herald, this one works little different then that one ;). pre-cc'ing to hold people in aoe works nicely also (if needed). This is a condi support Herald build.

This works really well, you will be mostly doing 50-65% of total team healing from raw healing alone in 5v5's, this build can carry a team nicely =>

Centaur stance/Herald stance

• Salvation traitline: 3-3-1

• Invocation traitline: 1-1-1

• Herald traitline: 1-3-1

Weapons: mace/shield + staff

sage amulet / rune of the druid / relic of the defender or relic of the flock.

Sigils of energy + Sigils of transference

Your main upkeeps for team are n1 regen and n2 protection boons. At start of match have regen/swiftness for team on, protection you hold on when fight starts. Applying weakness + protection mitigates nicely. With 6 upkeep your team and yourself gain nicely vigor boon uptime. Because your traited with shield, 1 cleanse for you or team and 4 pulsing self cleanses. Because 600 radius with boons and healing you don't need to always support close in the fight itself. 

Centaur abilties, read the empowerments + salvation traited bonuses well for enough boon uptime. Stability is pretty important on elite stance and empowerment can also be gained from centaur nature facet consume. Do not hold nature facet upkeep on, the healing is too weak and can energy can be better used on other abilties for saving.

Last tip: Don't hold centaur upkeep barier skill on if there is no projectile denial needed, not even for the 6 upkeep vigor, the energy can be used a lot better => for example centaur 20 energy big heal which also grants vigor

This is a short explaining, for more you can always message if you like

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Buran.3796 said:

I've tried some Herald variants this evening/night and this the one which Ihad most success (I wasn't familiar enough with the support builds, tho):

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmwAUlflhQMMJqjFRcMIyjBSkMBigDrUW7C-Dax8QiUBkpUoXRgjPBAAA

Shiro + Mallyx, short bow + mace & axe, Corruption 2,1,1 Invocation 1,1,1 Herald 3,2,1, Wizzard amulet with Lynx runes, Energy sigils + Doom & Cleansing.

Modus operandi: is a hybrid build with mediocre physical damage (low crit chance and damage, decent base power) but high condition damage, good mobility and very good access to crowd control. You play safe at range most of the time and use short bow auto attacks + Bloodbane to poke enemies, and when you see a target wasting evades or blocks you presure tehm with Temporal Rift (AoE pull each 15s), Scorchrazor (AoE knockdown each 18s), Call To anguish (25 energy) or Jade Winds (50 energy). That's just to set up you wild cards: things as Sevenshot, Spiritcrush or Searing Fissure for heavy damage or just swaping legend to proc Invoke Torment: Diabolic Inferno or just use Banish Enchantment to boonrip enemies.

Doesn't have mandatory traits: I focused my choices in mobility to being able to enter and leave combat very fast and the playstile resembles hammer Warrior due the amount of cc you can chain, but the advantage is that you can fight at any range. The HP is high and since you share boons and boons heals (and also skills with energy cost) you your sustain is quite good. You don't have much cleanses but you become almost immune to things as roots (you spam Resistance while using Mallyx skills) and you get access to Resolution with Pain Absortion (you can get more passively with a trit change). 

I think that this is the condi dark side of Hearld which mirrors the power short bow Vindicator: whereas the vindicator does mostly physical damage (in PvP, celestial in WvW) and has as strong points the uptime of evades, constant regeneration and powerful cleanses, this hybridi Herald focuses in conditions, heavy cc and mitigating damage while getting small heals. Is also a rivalr to the current Ranger builds based on setting a cc and landing heavy physical burst or condi bombs in a stunned/knockdown/rooted foe: you can scape/avoid some of those and your cc game is similar. Rangers still have notable invulns,, but thay are mostly single target, whereas this build works well in 1 v 1 but breaks havoc in small skirmishes.

this ones a interesting build. Been trying it without success honestly xD I can see it working somehow but the learning curve is way too steep compared to power builds :x already tanked my ranked ratings but ill try the condi build maybe ill learn it if no ill just drop it :x  Espeecially the lack of defensives hurts with classes like willbender and the other memes that can stick to you and are unkitable. And especially having 1 stunbreak is kinda meh. On ele id go with 2 at least and even with 3 sometimes current meta is meme stuns.

Im looking at this build to try. Ill probably way less damage
https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Herald_-_Condition_Mallyx

Edited by chaoslordlol.3165
edit

Alright playing different condi builds I came to the conclusion.

I cant play condi builds on this class. Doesnt seem to work in my hands by any means which is funny cuz I play fire Sw/Focus weaver xD
Here is what I feel condi builds - I die too quick and I feel like I deal absolutely no damage?  Either theres too many condi cleanses ingame or I just am clueless how to apply conditions on this class 

Alright so is there a bunker build that I could play? :x 
Ill probably try Power Vindicator next with GS / SB I guess

Edited by chaoslordlol.3165
well..

45 minutes ago, chaoslordlol.3165 said:

Alright playing different condi builds I came to the conclusion.

I cant play condi builds on this class. Doesnt seem to work in my hands by any means which is funny cuz I play fire Sw/Focus weaver xD
Here is what I feel condi builds - I die too quick and I feel like I deal absolutely no damage?  Either theres too many condi cleanses ingame or I just am clueless how to apply conditions on this class 

well, experiment what you think feels right. Overtime you will get to learn the class in general better and it will all connect ^^

• Like 1

19 hours ago, chaoslordlol.3165 said:

I don't think that in the current PvP meta there's really room for "bunker" builds, since most of tanky builds will die fast if they're focused by a couple of skilled players unless is able to disengage (so we are not really talking about "tanks"). Shouts + Defense Bladesworn and some Tempest builds can be very resilient to damage, but are more bruisers than tanks.

If you'll try power Vindi, the most effective build I've been using is this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmgAUFlZSMsTqjhScsUyjpSksSign1UVsF-DaIPkIVAZKF6VEo2LBAA

...But relies heavily in mobility to survive. I poke at range and if I'm being focused I retreat and if the harrash keeps I use Eternity's Requiem and Imperial Guard to cover my retreats. Has better mobility than Herald or Renegade, better condition cleanses, better breakstuns and similar burst damage; the self sustain is great but since our armor is baseline and our increased HP is minimal has to be cautious when focused. Had success with it both as +1 and in 1 v 1. At WvW where cele stats are available is a monster.

1 hour ago, Buran.3796 said:

I don't think that in the current PvP meta there's really room for "bunker" builds, since most of tanky builds will die fast if they're focused by a couple of skilled players unless is able to disengage (so we are not really talking about "tanks"). Shouts + Defense Bladesworn and some Tempest builds can be very resilient to damage, but are more bruisers than tanks.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmgAUFlZSMsTqjhScsUyjpSksSign1UVsF-DaIPkIVAZKF6VEo2LBAA

...But relies heavily in mobility to survive. I poke at range and if I'm being focused I retreat and if the harrash keeps I use Eternity's Requiem and Imperial Guard to cover my retreats. Has better mobility than Herald or Renegade, better condition cleanses, better breakstuns and similar burst damage; the self sustain is great but since our armor is baseline and our increased HP is minimal has to be cautious when focused. Had success with it both as +1 and in 1 v 1. At WvW where cele stats are available is a monster.

rune of the flame and why no swiftness boon for more mobility? And imperial impact instead of death drop?

3 hours ago, Buran.3796 said:

Ill try it thanks!

Its just a bit discouraging because I really like the playstyle of the class but whenever I play sPvp I feel like I can do what the other classes do but not to such a extent they do. If I play Power assasin I do damage but not as much as a thief. If I play condi I do damage and am somewhat tanky but not as much as a mesmer in comparison or condi zerker. 
kinda sorta discouraging. I mean I guess im not playing well yet ofc but theres situation where im like what was I supposed to use to actually do something there :x 

2 hours ago, arazoth.7290 said:

rune of the flame and why no swiftness boon for more mobility? And imperial impact instead of death drop?

For me the build was born in WvW at which for a while I tried to make work a Vindicator power build with greatsword + swords,. but was usually stomped by Harbinger, some Mesmer builds and had problems against other condi builds as trapper Rangers and Catalysts. The only other Rev build which I was running in WvW was celestial Renebow, which still had some bad matchups but performed better.

So when I purchased SotO in the second half of September to get the freedon of choice with weapons my first attempts were to try to replicate the Renegade build (short bow + staff, Shiro + Jalis) with Vindi, using the same celestial stats, weapons and legends. Then I saw the Spudzie video showcasing a similar concept: same celestial stats, short bow + greatsword, Alliance & Shiro legends, the same traitlines, almost the same traits. I was convinced to move from Jalis to the Alliance due your explanations in the forum, and I got used to using the gs instead of the staff. The hardest part for me with The Alliance is swaping to Kurzic due oftenly I wrongly push F2 (I would prefer that Energy Meld just doesn't exist).

Still, I made some changes over the Spudzie build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmgAUFlZSMsTqjhScsUyjpSksSign1UVsF-D2IY1o6/QiUBlpUtXRhIvEkgA+XNrAA-w

I run Surge rune for the extra 25% pace because I hate moving at normal 100%; it provides valauble power and boon duration, which stacks nicely with celestial. This frees Rapid Flow; Rapid Flow is nice but a bit inconsistent, since you don't always have the energy to proc swiftness exactly each 5 seconds, and the healing part is weak (less than a Mango Pie which heals about 80 x second). The build has so many regen procs and with cele + Surge last so long that I don't need the extra heals. Spirit Boon procs vigor and might, and I prefer it. Maybe Rapid Flow + Speed relic would work better tho: is just happens that Durability relic works fantastic in a build with almost 60% boon duration and 3 heals each 30 seconds.But I should make more trials...

Not fan of Forerunner of Death in WvW: the damage of Vindicator and the cooldowns on the greatsword skills are very muted in this game mode, and one of the reason almost no one runs Devastation. If you have a traitline devoted to damage which does no damage, or one focused in sustain (Retribution) which barely works, you move to better choices (Salvation). And that's what happens with Forerunner of Death in WvW if you run celestial stats: you lack enough physical damage. But that's fine: you don't win fights with this build in a sudden burst or locking a combo: you gradually wear of enemies at any distance and outsustain them.

Now, in PvP is different: you don't have celestial stats and the closest thing is the Sage or Wizzard amulet, and none of them have the +74% buff in raw stats from PvE/WvW celestial gear. You can chose to run Sage for the hybrid damage but the damage will be low, and also with Wizard. Since tanking is much harder in PvP (lower regen, very short duration in boons... ) how do you do damage? You run power (berserker amulet). So now your build is no longer hybrid, but mostly power with a bit of conditions from the short bow, the spear, and maybe the rune (I sometimes use Lynx for pace + hybrid damage instead of Holosmith for the power + precision + health). Under the power umbrella, Forerunner of Death can be arguably better than Vassals of the Empire...   in PvP. In WvW I don't think so.

Those rae my "why"; probably I'm wrong but I'm flexible and I would change and adapt as long as I find that the changes provide me better results and I still enjoy the playstile. I'm not very worried about balance patches since currently I don't thing that Rev is meta at PvP, so is not like we will lose a place due the nerfs. Greetings.

7 hours ago, chaoslordlol.3165 said:

Ill try it thanks!

Its just a bit discouraging because I really like the playstyle of the class but whenever I play sPvp I feel like I can do what the other classes do but not to such a extent they do. If I play Power assasin I do damage but not as much as a thief. If I play condi I do damage and am somewhat tanky but not as much as a mesmer in comparison or condi zerker. 
kinda sorta discouraging. I mean I guess im not playing well yet ofc but theres situation where im like what was I supposed to use to actually do something there :x 

revenant is about making some combo attack with abilties for setting up damage and cc, same with their survival or support is build like it.

Explaining such can be a little hard on forums. I would advice, watch some people on streams who aren't too bad at it. And watch how they set up their enemies and what kind of combos. Also don't try to watch everything at once, focus on certain stuff you can improve on 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Buran.3796 said:

For me the build was born in WvW at which for a while I tried to make work a Vindicator power build with greatsword + swords,. but was usually stomped by Harbinger, some Mesmer builds and had problems against other condi builds as trapper Rangers and Catalysts. The only other Rev build which I was running in WvW was celestial Renebow, which still had some bad matchups but performed better.

So when I purchased SotO in the second half of September to get the freedon of choice with weapons my first attempts were to try to replicate the Renegade build (short bow + staff, Shiro + Jalis) with Vindi, using the same celestial stats, weapons and legends. Then I saw the Spudzie video showcasing a similar concept: same celestial stats, short bow + greatsword, Alliance & Shiro legends, the same traitlines, almost the same traits. I was convinced to move from Jalis to the Alliance due your explanations in the forum, and I got used to using the gs instead of the staff. The hardest part for me with The Alliance is swaping to Kurzic due oftenly I wrongly push F2 (I would prefer that Energy Meld just doesn't exist).

Still, I made some changes over the Spudzie build:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PmgAUFlZSMsTqjhScsUyjpSksSign1UVsF-D2IY1o6/QiUBlpUtXRhIvEkgA+XNrAA-w

I run Surge rune for the extra 25% pace because I hate moving at normal 100%; it provides valauble power and boon duration, which stacks nicely with celestial. This frees Rapid Flow; Rapid Flow is nice but a bit inconsistent, since you don't always have the energy to proc swiftness exactly each 5 seconds, and the healing part is weak (less than a Mango Pie which heals about 80 x second). The build has so many regen procs and with cele + Surge last so long that I don't need the extra heals. Spirit Boon procs vigor and might, and I prefer it. Maybe Rapid Flow + Speed relic would work better tho: is just happens that Durability relic works fantastic in a build with almost 60% boon duration and 3 heals each 30 seconds.But I should make more trials...

Not fan of Forerunner of Death in WvW: the damage of Vindicator and the cooldowns on the greatsword skills are very muted in this game mode, and one of the reason almost no one runs Devastation. If you have a traitline devoted to damage which does no damage, or one focused in sustain (Retribution) which barely works, you move to better choices (Salvation). And that's what happens with Forerunner of Death in WvW if you run celestial stats: you lack enough physical damage. But that's fine: you don't win fights with this build in a sudden burst or locking a combo: you gradually wear of enemies at any distance and outsustain them.

Now, in PvP is different: you don't have celestial stats and the closest thing is the Sage or Wizzard amulet, and none of them have the +74% buff in raw stats from PvE/WvW celestial gear. You can chose to run Sage for the hybrid damage but the damage will be low, and also with Wizard. Since tanking is much harder in PvP (lower regen, very short duration in boons... ) how do you do damage? You run power (berserker amulet). So now your build is no longer hybrid, but mostly power with a bit of conditions from the short bow, the spear, and maybe the rune (I sometimes use Lynx for pace + hybrid damage instead of Holosmith for the power + precision + health). Under the power umbrella, Forerunner of Death can be arguably better than Vassals of the Empire...   in PvP. In WvW I don't think so.

Those rae my "why"; probably I'm wrong but I'm flexible and I would change and adapt as long as I find that the changes provide me better results and I still enjoy the playstile. I'm not very worried about balance patches since currently I don't thing that Rev is meta at PvP, so is not like we will lose a place due the nerfs. Greetings.

Hmmm yea, WvW is indeed some different because celestial stats work really nice with shortbow. For spvp these stats indeed aren't here. For dps wise, grieving amulet or sinister amulet is closest to some hybrid dps.

for power build I really like rune of the ranger ^^. 

Drop of death is currently on a damage build better, since imperial is pretty nerfed and rarely used.

For vindicator try relic of evasion or daredevil, these work pretty well 😉

And I know you're concerned about protection boon + regen => urn of saint viktor denotate that few times under 75% and if below 50% for sure, you will heal and gain those boons nicely ^^ and don't forget to keep doing pressure and not only defense.

Tip on your F2, rekeybind in settings for different key

• Like 1

a vindicator build I like to use which works perfectly for me. Maybe getting used to this one might be little hard 😅, but feel to give it a shot. If you want I can always show when online ^^. it's dps/roamer playstyle

Alliance stance / Assassin stance:

Devastation traitline: 1-3-1

Invocation traitline: 1-2-1

Vindicator traitline: 1-2-1

Berserker amulet / rune of the ranger/ relic of the daredevil.

Hammer + greatsword => Sigils of energy + Sigils of intelligence.

Sustain comes from offensive defensive dodging in enemy with every skill, you have cleanses, mobility enough. urn if saint viktor denotate for kiting and sustain same time and mitigation temporarily. Quickness is important with hammer for making it faster and faster burst of it. Because lf 1200 range you can start at opener from safer distance or when lot of pressure is going on, you can still do damage.

Hammer cc, preferably in group fight with quickness used. If used in 1v1 2v2, always use quickness to get it off. The cc isn't the main focus to get off.

getting hammer 2 off in close up fights, create distance with a backwards dodges or leap from target away before using it. Aim it well because certain obstacles hinder it

• Thanks 1