New player need help. What is the best Mechanist build for Open World?

Hobiz.8527

I'm on Mechanist too After a long time of P holo, C holo and a bit of scrapper. So, in my eyes the P Mech Is not that bad in OW in general but lacks survivability in tough encounters. ( and if you wanna play glass cannon Power, the P holo Is faaaar superior right now in every department). So i prefer wandering around with a full geared PAM, ( the Power version of the alacrity Mech) and switch rifle or Hammer on the fly. Hammer Is superior in meta boss smashing and utility and damage but Is melee and usually i bring trow mine with me, so no ranged kit. Using rifle and or mace and shield as secondary set Is fine and you bring much more to the table than Just DPS. With that you are ready to solo legendary or do every HP in HOT Maps Just for fun.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Corvolupo.5708 said:

I'm on Mechanist too After a long time of P holo, C holo and a bit of scrapper. So, in my eyes the P Mech Is not that bad in OW in general but lacks survivability in tough encounters. ( and if you wanna play glass cannon Power, the P holo Is faaaar superior right now in every department). So i prefer wandering around with a full geared PAM, ( the Power version of the alacrity Mech) and switch rifle or Hammer on the fly. Hammer Is superior in meta boss smashing and utility and damage but Is melee and usually i bring trow mine with me, so no ranged kit. Using rifle and or mace and shield as secondary set Is fine and you bring much more to the table than Just DPS. With that you are ready to solo legendary or do every HP in HOT Maps Just for fun.

Thanks for your insight 

I'm currently mostly using the condi-mech variant with p/p, but m/p also works.
Enhanced signet trait and four signets with grenades. Typically, you use viper stats, but more defensive stats with vita/toughness also work in open world.
I recently soloed a group-event with a champ and lots of mobs with that, but it took a few minutes and I had to use F6/F7 to navigate the mech out of the attacks sometimes. ^^'

However, quickness-scrapper also works surprisingly well now in HoT. Probably because of power creep. I remember having a bad time back then, but now most vets just drop. I would recommend two stunbreakers, then, though, since your barrier from outgoing damage keeps you alive in fights with lots of mobs.

• Like 1

this is what I currently run for open world.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PegAQJlxG7cLcbxt3eXclOsXdRPA-DSIYRU1fGtpKqQqIyTBFJA3PvFWMj/KA-e
I've included both rifle and hammer, because they work equally well. With hammer you can more easily pressure a whole group right next to your mech, and its evades / block / stun are great utility, while rifle allows you to effectively kite and pressure any champ at the same time, while maintaining a safe distance to any melee hate. If you can stay in melee 100% of the time, hammer will be your bigger dps, but if you solo a champ or legendary, you will often feel that rifle is more consistent for what it offers, especially for its superior single target cc. 

Why tools instead of firearms?
Because firearms doesn't really have a whole lot besides precission going for it, and with explosives being able to maintain 100% fury uptime on any range, there isn't really a need. You don't pump out enough conditions to make modified ammunition worth it solo anyways, and with excessive charge and takedown round, you have higher dmg output modifiers, too. Especially since relic of evasion + optimized activation grants you 100% vigor uptime when you need it, and therefore maintains excessive charge 100%, too. Add on top the condi clears and reduced mech skill recharge from mechanized deployment, and you have not only added dps and sustain, but also great synergy between Jade dynamo and kinetic battery, granting you a surprisingly high quickness uptime.

Runes of surging are debatable, since its boon duration does not get carried over to your mech, but it's mainly there for its permanent  25% movement speed, allowing you to keep it permanently active, even after you have used shift signet. And in situations where you need to use it, you don't want to get slowed down as a result of pressing that button. Ofc in fractals that point is mute too, since you will have mist mobility potions, so it's totally fine to have a second gear set with scholar or dragonhunter runes, when you want to be fractal ready, and don't have a healer in your group.

Absolutely smashes every HP, can solo champs / legendaries, breaks almost all defiance bars reliably, and has no mandatory cd's you need to wait for before jumpoing into the next champ and/or add-group. You bring your self sustaining might & fury, and a considerate uptime on quickness, so you are sellf-sustaining on in the offensive, and with frequently condi clears, high constant regeneration, and great mobility, you are a surprising tough nut to crack for a glasscannon. Even if your mech goes down, you can kite and stall for days.

Still, it has to be said that this build scales horribly in group scenarios, since all the boon generation you provide for yourself, can come from specialized supports instead. On paper you are fractal ready, and will certainly be effective, but a meta build for fractals / raids goes for firearms and "glass cannon" instead of tools and "short fuse" for very good reasons. They often drop "high impact drivers" for "single edge cutters" too. But for open world, "tools" is the superior choice when compared to "firearms".

Have fun.

Edited by Arantheal.7396
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

18 hours ago, Alcatraznc.3869 said:

The damage are slightly lower due to the recent balance patch but it's no way dead.

If i Remember correctly the hizen build was a celestial, condi, mace and pistol. Perma Alac/ Quick. Personally i don't find It fun to play with in OW in general. Is very solid in Solo but that's It. The only engineer condition build that remain "Fun" in OW (for me) Is Fire holo due to his fast ramp up time and High mobility, you can even go full mandalorian (Rocket boots, double pistol combo) and have a blast 😄

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

It’s hard to go wrong with a celestial build like Hizens.  Good condi damage for champions, enough power damage to kill trash mobs, and supplies it’s own boons so you still deal good damage when solo.  In a group it’s not ideal but it will still deal enough damage and groups rarely cover all your boon needs.  

If you’re more interested in just farming weak mobs then a power build might work better.  Power Holosmith is fun, and power scrapper is still good for this too.  

On 10/11/2023 at 4:20 PM, Hobiz.8527 said:

Been messing around for 2 days but can't seem to find a good one 🥲

The best way is to not die so you may try an alchemy/firearms flamethrower build with plenty of health regenration from signet, health insurance, compounding chemicals and backpack regenerator while having a ton of damage reduction from barrier signet and iron blooded.

You can run around with excessive might and also have quickness active from the jade mortar trait in mechanist.

assuming you work towards celestial you basically can't die and will still have decent enough damage

Edited by Stalima.5490
  • Like 1

Be warned tho, Anet wants all mechanist to become heal alac bots and since is beating this (not dead yet)horse for more than year.

If you want easy relax class, Mech still is it, but if you want to give more to you group in endgame content: quickness has better options, alac has better options.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

47 minutes ago, Gendalfs.7521 said:

Be warned tho, Anet wants all mechanist to become heal alac bots and since is beating this (not dead yet)horse for more than year.

If you want easy relax class, Mech still is it, but if you want to give more to you group in endgame content: quickness has better options, alac has better options.

Eh... yep, seems likes It, but let's Just hope that this will not become the ultimate reality for the spec... I still have tiny hopes left.

• Confused 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/12/2023 at 6:44 PM, Arantheal.7396 said:

this is what I currently run for open world.
http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PegAQJlxG7cLcbxt3eXclOsXdRPA-DSIYRU1fGtpKqQqIyTBFJA3PvFWMj/KA-e
I've included both rifle and hammer, because they work equally well. With hammer you can more easily pressure a whole group right next to your mech, and its evades / block / stun are great utility, while rifle allows you to effectively kite and pressure any champ at the same time, while maintaining a safe distance to any melee hate. If you can stay in melee 100% of the time, hammer will be your bigger dps, but if you solo a champ or legendary, you will often feel that rifle is more consistent for what it offers, especially for its superior single target cc. 

Why tools instead of firearms?
Because firearms doesn't really have a whole lot besides precission going for it, and with explosives being able to maintain 100% fury uptime on any range, there isn't really a need. You don't pump out enough conditions to make modified ammunition worth it solo anyways, and with excessive charge and takedown round, you have higher dmg output modifiers, too. Especially since relic of evasion + optimized activation grants you 100% vigor uptime when you need it, and therefore maintains excessive charge 100%, too. Add on top the condi clears and reduced mech skill recharge from mechanized deployment, and you have not only added dps and sustain, but also great synergy between Jade dynamo and kinetic battery, granting you a surprisingly high quickness uptime.

Runes of surging are debatable, since its boon duration does not get carried over to your mech, but it's mainly there for its permanent  25% movement speed, allowing you to keep it permanently active, even after you have used shift signet. And in situations where you need to use it, you don't want to get slowed down as a result of pressing that button. Ofc in fractals that point is mute too, since you will have mist mobility potions, so it's totally fine to have a second gear set with scholar or dragonhunter runes, when you want to be fractal ready, and don't have a healer in your group.

Absolutely smashes every HP, can solo champs / legendaries, breaks almost all defiance bars reliably, and has no mandatory cd's you need to wait for before jumpoing into the next champ and/or add-group. You bring your self sustaining might & fury, and a considerate uptime on quickness, so you are sellf-sustaining on in the offensive, and with frequently condi clears, high constant regeneration, and great mobility, you are a surprising tough nut to crack for a glasscannon. Even if your mech goes down, you can kite and stall for days.

Still, it has to be said that this build scales horribly in group scenarios, since all the boon generation you provide for yourself, can come from specialized supports instead. On paper you are fractal ready, and will certainly be effective, but a meta build for fractals / raids goes for firearms and "glass cannon" instead of tools and "short fuse" for very good reasons. They often drop "high impact drivers" for "single edge cutters" too. But for open world, "tools" is the superior choice when compared to "firearms".

Have fun.

I am really really enjoying this build. Thank you. Maybe it does less damage than before but it feels similar to pre-Soto mech for open world. Rifle + quickness feels amazing with the mech on autocast.