Pet AI problem.

DanAlcedo.3281

Hi Ranger friends! 

I'm currently playing heal alac Druid in Strikes and recently started to have a problem with the pet AI. 

For some reason, when I press F2 to prestack regen with my Fern Dog, he just runs at the Boss. Starting the fight. 😐

I don't have the Boss in target. I don't even look at the boss. I'm not infight, from like the pillars in IBS strikes. 

Also It not always happens. Just sometimes.

Any idea? I put my pet in passiv for now prefight but Jesus that's annoying. 

Only have that problem in Strikes. Never seen the pet just zooming 2000+ range to a Mob for no reason elsewhere. 

Edited by DanAlcedo.3281
  • Like 1

That behavior is historical, it happens with any pet: any F2 even support ones like lettuce dog or moas, will trigger the pet into combat mode if you have selected a target when triggering the skill. It doesn't matter if the pet is in passive mode. 

Another reason why pets do not work in group content in this game. 

Edited by anduriell.6280
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, anduriell.6280 said:

That behavior is historical, it happens with any pet: any F2 even support ones like lettuce dog or moas, will trigger the pet into combat mode if you have selected a target when triggering the skill. It doesn't matter if the pet is in passive mode. 

Another reason why pets do not work in group content in this game. 

But like I said, I don't even have a target. 

I sit outside the dome on dagda in my inventory. Press F2 and my dog just decides it's fighting time. 

Pets autotargeting enemies even with nothing selected is just one of multiple pet issues they introduced last year. And so far there hasn't been a single notice from the devs regarding any of those problems even tho they negatively impact the entire ranger class in all gamemodes. Pet AI is worse than ever and likely going to stay that way so just get used to playing a class with a broken class mechanic. And press "return to me" before and after commands. Helps a little bit.

Edited by Zyreva.1078
  • Like 3

My understanding is that since the changes to the engineers mech F skills this affected Rangers F2 skill. 

Before, the ranger F2 would work immediately upon pressing, but now, if the pet is currently performing an action, then any F2 skill which is pressed goes into a queue. There also seems to be a slight delay even if there is no queue, so coupled together this may explain what you are experiencing.

There currently is a thread in the bugs section about this issue, and I would encourage anyone who wants this issue to be resolved to contribute to that thread. 

Video evidence of the issues(s) would be of great help to demonstrate the problem(s) and hopefully Anet will respond more quickly.

Edited by Arrow Blade of El Elyon.9341
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Arrow Blade of El Elyon.9341 said:

My understanding is that since the changes to the engineers mech F skills this affected Rangers F2 skill.

Before, the ranger F2 would work immediately upon pressing, but now, if the pet is currently performing an action, then any F2 skill which is pressed goes into a queue. There also seems to be a slight delay even if there is no queue, so coupled together this may explain what you are experiencing.

That's one of the problems i was talking about, yes. The autotargeting issue is a different one tho. And then i have noticed a 3rd bug that also got introduced arround similar times which causes pets to walk arround or through the target before attempting to execute a skill, even when they were already in range of the target when the command to use said skill was given initially, which further adds to their unresponsiveness.

Non of those issues existed before EOD, all introduced when they started messing arround with pet AI, mostly because of mech. Maybe there is also some connection to the autocast feature, that was requested by many ranger players, idk. Zero response from the devs. Not a single "we are looking into this" or "can you provide more details" and it's been more than a year, so i feel like putting effort into a video documentation (i have thought about doing this at some point) would just be a waste of time.

Edited by Zyreva.1078

The only way we can contribute to resolving this issue is to continue to provide feedback and video evidence.

I appreciate that up until this point there has not been an official response, however this thread combined with the bugs thread may begin to tip the scales into a response if we can encourage others to chime in and offer their feedback and experiences. 

To those who can, I would encourage to provide video evidence clearly demonstrating the issues, but ofcourse it is no guarantee, hopefully seeing the issue in two different sections of the forum will encourage some kind of response.

I think the pet becoming aggressive after F2 has always existed--at least I've always noticed it on things like smokescale, after putting the field down the pet goes and attacks nearest / selected target.  

Always thought the non-targeted F2s (smoke field, any boon pets, siege turtle bubble) should not cause pet to become aggressive, only the attack type F2's (bird's blinding slash, gazelle headbutt, etc.)

The other issue in this thread definitely was introduced during the mechanist update--I look at old roaming videos and weep at how responsive F2 was pre-Feb 2022.  

Press f3 immediately after f2 is the only solution I guess… maybe not so soon that it animation cancels your f2

23 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

Hi Ranger friends! 

I'm currently playing heal alac Druid in Strikes and recently started to have a problem with the pet AI. 

For some reason, when I press F2 to prestack regen with my Fern Dog, he just runs at the Boss. Starting the fight. 😐

I don't have the Boss in target. I don't even look at the boss. I'm not infight, from like the pillars in IBS strikes. 

Also It not always happens. Just sometimes.

Any idea? I put my pet in passiv for now prefight but Jesus that's annoying. 

Only have that problem in Strikes. Never seen the pet just zooming 2000+ range to a Mob for no reason elsewhere. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...