Ranger Commander

Valdel.7325

I'm relatively new to Ranger, (though I've dabbled over the years) as I've got Engi burnout. My Guild Leader also is burnt out irl and I'm thinking of picking up the WvW slack on one day a week, till she recovers her mojo.

We operate in T1/2 on a predominantly cloud server and open ourselves up to pugs and Allies. Conventional melee balls aren't usual on home borderland and the raid will only have a core of guildees 10+ in support on TS. Healing is like herding cats and I don't want to play a class i know nothing about. Is there a frontline, or just behind frontline build I could try and what runes and relics would help. I really need some veteran Ranger input. It could be only for a few weeks, but we don't take ourselves too seriously and have a good mix of Senior Players, who will be supportive. Thanks in advance.

For ranger, there is only one "true" zerg build, which is heal and cleanse Druid. http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwEY6MssiE2ShDJkhF2Kj0yVyrVli9I16rA-DWJYjRNfhEUYkZGUdB47FhQEg9wbp9NLA-w

Relics you want are Monk(more healing) or Antitoxin(more cleanse).
The main idea is to charge CA and use it when needed and use staff ally target when not in CA. There is a certain learning curve to it, even more so if you also focus on commanding durning it.

As for a non legit one where you can just focus on commanding, would probably be a tankier Soulbeast build (you probably should adjust one for your own needs so I'll slap together an example http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POwEEiNsMDmG7hFyQxj3y9VViinD-DSJYiR9fh0UIGRiURVZ73AAA-e)

• Like 1

Thanks, the Druid build is pretty much what I run normally, it really outperforms my old Heal Scrapper. The frontline one looks good, with 3 lots of stability, 4 if you take Relic of the Centaur. My server is such a terrible clouding one, I may need to share my own boons and run more toughness. But I like this, maybe I'll try it out in pugs this week, as I may not be leading till next Monday. Thank you so much.

Thanks for your input. This is just the theory craft as though I've run around in a havoc group, which it isn't suited too. I've not directly Commanded with it yet. Please critique and offer advice, I'm not sure about pets and whether to swap them or the final utility which could be stone spirit, signet of renewal or something else.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POhAIFlZwCZasHGKmsWrPtSU9dA-DSJYnRFfpEWCkZE0bIkeB4xTAagwlGoC-e

Edited by Valdel.7325

Ranger in general is harder but my reason is down to the many skills that root you in place. Amazing skills like Barrage and Natural Convergence are much better used in key moments. If you have to stop your zerg just to hit one then it might disrupt the flow.

In that case something like Duel Staff Untamed might be better. Normally commanders try and cover the approach of the zerg so bubble and boons are there thing hense Chronomancer in particular. 

On 11/18/2023 at 5:35 PM, Valdel.7325 said:

Thanks for your input. This is just the theory craft as though I've run around in a havoc group, which it isn't suited too. I've not directly Commanded with it yet. Please critique and offer advice, I'm not sure about pets and whether to swap them or the final utility which could be stone spirit, signet of renewal or something else.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?POhAIFlZwCZasHGKmsWrPtSU9dA-DSJYnRFfpEWCkZE0bIkeB4xTAagwlGoC-e

I was about to suggest something similar to this. Although I would swap Nature's Vengeance for Invigorating Bond since you're not using any spirits. I'd also maybe swap the tiger for the owl or jacaranda since Unflinching Fortitude shares a cooldown across the pets. Alternatively drop the pet swapping altogether and pick up stance share to provide a bit of support to your squad. I'd also maybe swap "We Heal as One" for Bear Stance for additional cleanse.

Ranger is never going to be optimal but your main focus as commander is staying alive and staying mobile, you don't want to get pulled or stuck so you can keep the tag moving where it needs to be.