WvW Mechanist worth?

Nanoir.2315

Fought against mechs and majority of them just die within a few secs or just tp and rocket boot away.

Thought I'd give it a try but kitten it feels so punishing to play compared to other classes where you can just faceroll.

Also took a break when it was "op" and came back only recently. Feels really underwhelming. 

Is it worth playing mech and getting invested in it or should I just drop it.

There's three flavors of people that play Mecha in WvW. 

1. People who just like Mech

2. People who enjoy it's low skill floor 

3. Off-meta heroes looking for a challenge. 

Unfortunately, it's not good compared to other roamers. Ranger and DE have you outclassed in every category.

There used to be a perma alacrity build you could play with cele stats, but that no longer works with the removal of sanctuary rune. Play it if you like Mech. If you want results, I recommend a Ranger instead. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

I haven't posted on these forums in years and I probably should keep my posts that infrequent. But I keep seeing people on here saying that roaming WvW mechanist is weak. All I can say to this is... go read your skills and traits in depth and learn what Mechanist excels at. Learn your combo fields and finishers. Learn how to time your kit cooldowns. If you are dying quickly... how? This class has resets for days. This is a class where you can be down to double digits HP and the fight's not over unless you panic or give up.

I don't teach people how to play roaming Mech unless they're on Tarnished Coast, so I'm not giving any details. (However if you are on TC hit me up in-game I have a video guide)

But hey, if you guys cry your way into getting WvW Mech buffed, that's fine by me. I'm cool with getting stronger. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

3 hours ago, Ultravalefor.5038 said:

I haven't posted on these forums in years and I probably should keep my posts that infrequent

Might be for the best. Feel free to work on your comprehension in the meanwhile.

But I keep seeing people on here saying that roaming WvW mechanist is weak.

Care to link some? Can't seem to find any with the exception of people asking about engineer pvp builds rather than just mechanist so far.

If you are dying quickly... how

Not once did I say that I am dying quick, feels underwhelming compared to holosmith/ scrapper.

But hey, if you guys cry your way into getting WvW Mech buffed, that's fine by me. I'm cool with getting stronger

Right...

Other than this thank you for the totally highly useful input mate!

I'd stick with refraining to comment if this is the attitude you give to someone asking a question.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/16/2023 at 7:38 PM, Ultravalefor.5038 said:

I haven't posted on these forums in years and I probably should keep my posts that infrequent. But I keep seeing people on here saying that roaming WvW mechanist is weak. All I can say to this is... go read your skills and traits in depth and learn what Mechanist excels at. Learn your combo fields and finishers. Learn how to time your kit cooldowns. If you are dying quickly... how? This class has resets for days. This is a class where you can be down to double digits HP and the fight's not over unless you panic or give up.

I don't teach people how to play roaming Mech unless they're on Tarnished Coast, so I'm not giving any details. (However if you are on TC hit me up in-game I have a video guide)

But hey, if you guys cry your way into getting WvW Mech buffed, that's fine by me. I'm cool with getting stronger. 

>claims people dont read skill and Mechanist isnt weak

>doesnt elaborate on the topic nor bring anything relevant

>leave

Classic pattern of people who pretend Mechanist is strong but cannot provide any actual information supporting their claim. But I dont mind, I eat Mechanist player for breakfast with no real effort.

On 11/16/2023 at 2:09 AM, Nanoir.2315 said:

Fought against mechs and majority of them just die within a few secs or just tp and rocket boot away.

Thought I'd give it a try but kitten it feels so punishing to play compared to other classes where you can just faceroll.

Also took a break when it was "op" and came back only recently. Feels really underwhelming. 

Is it worth playing mech and getting invested in it or should I just drop it.

Short answer : no Mechanist isnt worth playing

Long answer:

Mechanist trades way too much for having a clunky pet. If you play any form of melee pet then you might as well forget the pet exist because unless your opponent decides to not move and fight your pet, it's not going to do anything. If you play the range option, the coefficient on these guns are so trash it's only passable when speccing for full berserk and full power build but then you're just super weak. If you find yourself in a lot of 1v1 situation then Mechanist have some potential despite all these weakness but these situation are extremely rare and the moment a random player joins your opponent, you are arguably the worse spec in the game for dealing with +1. And the pet just go in a straight line and the pathing is poor meaning if there is even a slight elevation it's not uncommon to see your pet takes a journey to the west just to reach your opponent (who will most likely just move forward/away and fk the pet pathing again).

And all these issues are regarding the pet alone. The engineer itself is even weaker. I get that you lose the toolbelt skill in favor of a pet but remember when Anet decided to remove all the tradeoff from elite spec ? Yeah well Engineer is among the few if not the only spec remaining who still has to deal with trade off and Mechanist is the worst offender here because even when the pet isnt on field you still have no access to your toolbelt making you objectively worse than core Engineer itself. 

There is one scenario where Mechanist is actually usable and that is as an alacrity bot during siege. When you're taking down a wall or a gate, stay in combat to trigger the passive barrier generation and then spam your F2 and F3 skill when ready (ofc this assume you spec full support mechanist). But I mean, Tempest do that but much better and with less micro management. 

So yeah to sum up Mechanist doesnt exactly bring anything other class cannot brings, Mechanist has to deal with a pet that has poor AI poor pathing and punishes you for not being a babyiter (hello mechanical punishement genius), Mechanist itself is worse than the core class if the pet dies (and it will) and Mechanist requires you to be more focused than other spec. All of that in order to be able to do the bare minimum of what other class can do by themselve with less punishement, less micro management and more rewards. 

• Thanks 5
  • Confused 1

On 11/16/2023 at 2:38 AM, Ultravalefor.5038 said:

Edit: Original post was too rambly. Editing to be more concise. 

Mechanist is far from being unviable in WvW. It can still be built in a variety of ways. The most popular way to play it currently is to focus on dealing damage from range. Shift Signet and Rocket boots serve as mobility, letting you escape from nasty situations. The last slot is typically reserved for a kit. 

Tool Kit gives you an unblockable CC, a block, and a funny burst damage tool via Prybar. Nade Kit lets you kite and dish out damage from range while facing 180 degrees away from your target. Elixir gun is a jack-of-all trades kit and gives you a little of everything. Acid bomb ends combos very nicely and lets you smoothly transition from point black combos back to dishing out damage at range. 

There are other builds which I'd be happy to share if asked, but the key flaw with Any mech build is that there will always be some major defensive hole in the build.

The popular build I just mentioned has only 1 stunbreak. You need to play very careful on this build. Most players using it will immediately port or rocket boots away when threatened because getting locked down is a death sentence. 

If not running Toolkit, you also have no blocks. This can make it difficult to deal with the omnipresent Willbender who can easily keep up with you even with rocket boots. There are also a lot of classes in this game that force you to double dodge to survive their combo if you do not have a channeled block. 

The condi cleanse is also not great, however you can patch this up somewhat with cleansing sigil. You cleanse 1 condi per toolbelt, but this has reduced value on Mechanist since it has 2 fewer toolbelts. 

Finally, Mechanical Genius actively punishes you for kiting. Which you need to do A LOT in order to survive. This also results in you gaining less cleanses via https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mechanized_Deployment.

Compare Mech to a META roamer. 

Ranger is also able to pump out high damage with 300 more range. They can simply swap pets to prevent their pet from dying. No need to burn an elite skill to keep their bot alive.  They can run a functional build with 3 stunbreaks that also cleanse. They are not punished for kiting with a badly designed mechanic PvE mechanic. They have baseline weapon swap, so they can easily slot a block into thier kit. They're better at playing around LoS thanks to greatsword and LB5. 

And this is all core. They also have 3 viable elite specs which add even more on top of this, and unlike Mech, none of them have trade-offs. 

Rangers lacks the critical defensive flaw that Mecha builds have while also outclassing them in nearly every way. This is why i will reccomend people play Ranger instead if they only care about results. Mechanist is still playable, but players should temper their expectations when playing it. 

Edited by Kuma.1503
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, jason.1083 said:

Ah, right. I forgot that existed, never really played Charr...

Everyone does. That's why it's so funny to kill people with it.

Also fun fact. The leap on charrzooka scales it's distance with current movement speed. If you give yourself superspeed before you use it... Say... from Holo Leap. You literally go double the distance of traited rocket boots. It's pure cheese on par with Nornbeast and that's why i love it. 

Edited by Kuma.1503

On 11/15/2023 at 11:44 PM, Kuma.1503 said:

There's three flavors of people that play Mecha in WvW. 

1. People who just like Mech

2. People who enjoy it's low skill floor 

3. Off-meta heroes looking for a challenge. 

Unfortunately, it's not good compared to other roamers. Ranger and DE have you outclassed in every category.

There used to be a perma alacrity build you could play with cele stats, but that no longer works with the removal of sanctuary rune. Play it if you like Mech. If you want results, I recommend a Ranger instead. 

Im pretty sure that you got some mortar Mech build for zergfights in a secret build slot! How much for a glimpse? xd

7 hours ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Im pretty sure that you got some mortar Mech build for zergfights in a secret build slot! How much for a glimpse? xd

So... Here's the deal. 

I don't reccomend you play this... But if you want a good laugh... 

Here.

Allow me to explain the load of garbage you are currently looking at. 

I like to call this build "**** you in particular" Because that's what it does. 

You yoink someone out of the pack. Preferably the commander or one of their supports. The best time to do this is when your scourge or SpB strips boons. When winds goes down that's your go button. 

Yoink someone into you with Magnet. 

Stun them in place with Thunderclap. (Hammer 5)

While you're doing this, Command your Mech to Leap onto the target with F1 and cast its F2. 

Pull out your mortar. This will trigger Streamlined Kits and dump a pool of gunk under your feet that loads condis onto the target. While you're doing this cast superconductor signet. 

At this point if they haven't managed to escape, they've got condis pulsing on them from your supercondutor signet, your Mech's Discharge Array, the pool of gunk on the floor

CC chain the target with the Mech's F3 (this inflicts burning btw). 

Slap them in the face with your Prybar and crit them for a funny 7k+ damage while also putting confusion on them. By this point they should have kitten near every condi in the game so your Modified Ammunition is giving you a massive DPS boost. If that burst wasn't enough to kill them, whatever you hit them with next should. I recommend Hammer 2

You've got naturally high crit chance thanks to High Caliber + Fury + Hematic Focus. (Just enough to hit 100%) High Ferocity thanks to Grieving stats + Rune of Renegade. High Condi damage with Grieving stats. The combination of high condi burst + Power damage+ BS stunlocks + Your Mech's  burst...

You should be able to burst down even a minstrel support. 

While you wait for your opening, you can just pelt people with your mortar at range while waiting for some poor straggler to split from the boon ball. 

Edited by Kuma.1503
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kuma.1503 said:

So... Here's the deal. 

I don't reccomend you play this... But if you want a good laugh... 

Here.

Allow me to explain the load of garbage you are currently looking at. 

I like to call this build "**** you in particular" Because that's what it does. 

You yoink someone out of the pack. Preferably the commander or one of their supports. The best time to do this is when your scourge or SpB strips boons. When winds goes down that's your go button. 

Yoink someone into you with Magnet. 

Stun them in place with Thunderclap. (Hammer 5)

While you're doing this, Command your Mech to Leap onto the target with F1 and cast its F2. 

Pull out your mortar. This will trigger Streamlined Kits and dump a pool of gunk under your feet that loads condis onto the target. While you're doing this cast superconductor signet. 

At this point if they haven't managed to escape, they've got condis pulsing on them from your supercondutor signet, your Mech's Discharge Array, the pool of gunk on the floor

CC chain the target with the Mech's F3 (this inflicts burning btw). 

Slap them in the face with your Prybar and crit them for a funny 7k+ damage while also putting confusion on them. By this point they should have kitten near every condi in the game so your Modified Ammunition is giving you a massive DPS boost. If that burst wasn't enough to kill them, whatever you hit them with next should. I recommend Hammer 2

You've got naturally high crit chance thanks to High Caliber + Fury + Hematic Focus. (Just enough to hit 100%) High Ferocity thanks to Grieving stats + Rune of Renegade. High Condi damage with Grieving stats. The combination of high condi burst + Power damage+ BS stunlocks + Your Mech's  burst...

You should be able to burst down even a minstrel support. 

While you wait for your opening, you can just pelt people with your mortar at range while waiting for some poor straggler to split from the boon ball. 

YUP pretty creative! 

Ngl Grieving gaming is kinda funny in zergs, got an Arms grieving bow zerker and that burning is no small deal lol.