Suggestions on main

Merisee.9035

not played for a while, and never really got into end game stuff, mostly messed around in low lvl stuff and wvw  but I'm wanting to come back but stuck on what to play, I love mixing ranged and melee. supporting is fun but stressful I've found in other games not sure if its the same here.

played most classes at least a little and found i hate classes that are super slow or feel slow  not just in combat but in general movement. don't mind pets but I found most times in games they are just more  annoying than useful. 
In wvw I loved being in the zerg mostly sniping with weapons like the bow or rifle,
Ideally I want something that's not too hard to play  like ele, I remember you needed to  have a phd and fingers of a piano player to get the most out of it, to some degree engi was the same or used to be.
Something with good damage , and reasonable survivable skills is good for me as I tend to play solo a lot and taking on some of the more elite or harder mobs in open world can be grr when you are super squishy

on other games ive played the druid or the fighter things like that  at least on ones such as wow, or for the swtor people the bounty hunter or the assassin

Any suggestions would be great thanks

p.s i know things will be changing soon with addition of new weapons for classes  but until i can get to those or to the elite specs, then they dont really matter since id have to lvl through the core class

There are some revanent builds that check most of your boxes but not at the same time. If you don't mind switching specs based on your mood, I'd suggest that.

Guardian also checks most boxes, except they are notoriously slow, except for willbenders who are probably 2nd fastest in the game. If you don't mind fast, hectic mobility and play with the baked in support of a core guard, that could be a good fit. Firebrand can speed up combat skills with quickness, but is otherwise rather slow, unless you plug in a speed relic. Almost anything can be fast with that. 

• Like 1

I recommend Revenant.

Supporting: easy to pick up and fairly strong.

WvW sniping: hammer about to get some love but Revenants have been a WvW zerg staple for a long time.

Taking on Elite in open world: Vindicator is really good at it and Renegade is also really really good at it.

Give it a go!

On 11/26/2023 at 5:42 PM, Delinquee.4513 said:

I love mixing ranged and melee. supporting is fun but stressful I've found in other games not sure if its the same here.

played most classes at least a little and found i hate classes that are super slow or feel slow  not just in combat but in general movement. don't mind pets but I found most times in games they are just more  annoying than useful. 

In wvw I loved being in the zerg mostly sniping with weapons like the bow or rifle,
Ideally I want something that's not too hard to play

Something with good damage , and reasonable survivable skills is good for me as I tend to play solo a lot and taking on some of the more elite or harder mobs in open world can be grr when you are super squishy

Any suggestions would be great thanks

Lets take a look:

* Warrior: the stronger build in PvE is power Bladesworn, plenty of damage and tankyness but a bit hard to use and is not as mobile as other Warrior specs due the gunsaber mechanics and the weapon restrictions. Very good self sustain in PvP but the movement is clunky. Second strongest PvE solo build is condi Berserker, which as BS mixes mele and ranged but is not the fastest (quickenss access feels good, tho). For WvW/PvE power builds (with high burst or plenty of cc) work better and have plenty of mobility, but they are usually full mele and in PvE don't work well (you trash regular mobs but they are squishy vs bounties). Hambow is the second easiest core class to level to me, tho.

* Guardian: all build lack mobility except Willbender; Willbender is very strong at WvW roaming in both power and celestial builds and is very mobile, but mostly mele; at PvE Willbender damage and self sustain is ok but the gameplay is demanding because requires to constantly activate your virtues, which moves you across the terrain (sometimes for worse) so the gameplay is frentic. Firebrand and DH are nice to play but slow paced and low in damage. Third easiest core class to level, to me.

* Revenant: the celestial Vindicator build is the tankiest thing at PvE, can solo anything, with moderate damage; runs both mele and ranged weapons (mace & axe + short bow). Not very fast tho. The WvW roaming build is very fast and mobile and runs greatsword + short bow, extremely strong, specially regardless self sustain. But you need to unlock Vindi and play like an hour in SotO for the weapon mastery to get access to short bow. So leveling with core Rev is safe but slow with either Jalis + Mallyx and condis or Shire + Jalis in power for speed but more chances to get mogged. I would place it 7th as core leveling but if you already have weapon mastery is a 1rst or 2nd. Fully unlocked is god tier.

* Ranger: very versatile in weapon choices, solid mid tier along necro in leveling, can play power or condi mixing both mele and ranged. Has very powerful cele builds for PvE and extremely tanky and mobile WvW ones. Fairly easy to play in the Soulbeast and Druid specs. Getting the pets can be a bit annoying but can be done in less than 2 hours. I think is the closest contender to Rev given your tastes.

* Thief: has very strong and easy to play DE PvE cele build which is mostly mele and a bit repetitive, but works. In WvW there's more variety mixing both mele and ranged weapons, but is hard to play; good Thieves either win fights or disengage, because mobility is usually top tier, but mistakes are expensive. Leveling is... bad. Feels like a glass canon minus the canon part, because until your skills and traits and gear aren't in place your burst are weak and you're squishy.

* Engineer:Mechanist is very powerful and easy to play in PvE, but weak in competitive game modes.Scrapper makes a very good tank but has crapy damage at PvE; Holosmith is very good at competitive game modes but hard to master, and is a bit squishy in PvE. Holo is particulary good at mixing mele and ranged attacks, but you have a very limited selection in weapons and instead of weapon swap you have kits. For me felt weak while leveling.

* Necro: easy to level, along Ranger, initially feels lacking in mobility like Guardian but a bit better due access to 25% passive signet. Very good survability thanx to shourd and minions (if needed) plus high base HP. In PvE has very strong and easy to use PvE solo builds; Reaper is maybe the top. Has good mixes of ranged weapons and mele attacks, but much of the gameplay is mostly stationary and based in strong AoE cc; Harbinger bring up the mobility, but is mostly a sniper and shines at competitive game modes (Reaper feels more rounded to me, and Necro also has a very strong support build if needed).

* Mesmer: in my opinion the easiest core profession to level, but mostly at range (staff + gs) but sword can also work (less safe). Celestial Mirage is god tier at PvE (higher damage than Vindi but less tanky) but is mostly a ranged spec; Virtuoso, Chrono and Mirage have good WvW roaming builds and mobility is good but the gameplay is mostly at range. So very strong class but not quite the gameplay that seems you're asking for.

* Elementalist: is hard to play and more fast paced than a caffeinated Willbender skritt. Very good mix between mele AoE skills and ranged ones. S tier in PvE but a bit squishier than the top dogs and requires more effort to do the task (good if you want a challenge). Mobility can be great of bad based on your weapon choice, which entirely dictates the gameplay (you don't have swap but 20 skills instead). You can run it tanky, or have high dps, or have tons of mobility, but usually not all at the same time (unless PvP, sometimes 😛 ). I think taht most of people which mains Ele knew it inmediatly.

So: based in your description:  WvW Vindi is mobile, tanky, mixes mele and ranged attacks, but in PvP is squishy, and you need a different build (not gear) in PvE, where is strong but paced slower. Ranger has very good mobility, is tanky and sometimes bursty; can be played as Soulbeast or Druid, with power, condi or hybrid versions. For solo the condi builds are stronger at PvE, for WvW both works (with tradeoffs), for PvP the power builds are usually better.  Necro is slow unless you run Harb, which is good in competitive but weaker at PvE; is always tanky and has a good mix of ranged and mele options. The other professions heve even more tradeoffs: Thief, Engie and Ele are complex to master, Guardian is usually slow and plays better in groups; Warrior is very mele oriented, Mesmer is very ranged oriented. 

• Like 1