Edge Of The Mist - The Forgotten Realm

Quirin.1076

I was curious so I wondered around the "Edge Of The Mist".  I took towers and camps and shrines,  found the shrine mechanic pretty cool having the objective outside of just killing a champion.  Camps you would build the shield afterwards.  The Built in cannons at some towers to take out bridges, to change the style of the map and the direction people could move.   Granted there were no people on this map, not one person I could find.   I simply moved around for about a hour to 2, it felt like a home instance.   It is such a cool map and with all these choke points where you could funnel people through or hold a point with less people.   

It really feels like Arenanet has Forgotten "Edge Of The Mist" and with it not having any PiP rewards and seems to have less Exp.   It seems like it was intentional to create a realm to make a ghost town, the tier progress you get on the "Edge Of The Mist" also does not appear to progress your Tier Progress when you do go to the "Mist War" maps.  It almost appeared to erase my Tier progress for the "Mist War" maps because when I went back I was at Tier 0 which I know I was at least Tier 6 when I went into the "Edge Of The Mist"

It is a shame such a wonderful map is not played anymore, so sad, just feels like a great place to be competitive

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Quirin.1076 said:

I was curious so I wondered around the "Edge Of The Mist".  I took towers and camps and shrines,  found the shrine mechanic pretty cool having the objective outside of just killing a champion.  Camps you would build the shield afterwards.  The Built in cannons at some towers to take out bridges, to change the style of the map and the direction people could move.   Granted there were no people on this map, not one person I could find.   I simply moved around for about a hour to 2, it felt like a home instance.   It is such a cool map and with all these choke points where you could funnel people through or hold a point with less people.   

It really feels like Arenanet has Forgotten "Edge Of The Mist" and with it not having any PiP rewards and seems to have less Exp.   It seems like it was intentional to create a realm to make a ghost town, the tier progress you get on the "Edge Of The Mist" also does not appear to progress your Tier Progress when you do go to the "Mist War" maps.  It almost appeared to erase my Tier progress for the "Mist War" maps because when I went back I was at Tier 0 which I know I was at least Tier 6 when I went into the "Edge Of The Mist"

It is a shame such a wonderful map is not played anymore, so sad, just feels like a great place to be competitive

Depending on World Restructuring and how the new server populations are defined, EoTM might see more use as an overflow once again. Even before WR have had a number of server resets where all maps were queue and got to spend some time out there versus wait around in PvE land for a queue pop. 

41 minutes ago, Quirin.1076 said:

Eotm was only suppose to be used as an overflow map when the four main wvw maps were full. But players used it as a permanent place to level alts and gain rewards much faster than the regular wvw maps, they let players abuse that for almost four years. You can still earn regular levels in there through the reward tracks and wxp level up chests which give you tomes of knowledge, so you're getting exp in bulk form rather than from every source like wxp in there.

Pips are tied to the skirmish mode, which isn't tied back to eotm because they run on separate instances. Skirmish mode runs on the three servers involved in their match, eotm mode runs for every for server together on green blue or red sides. Maybe they could do the system in eotm to ignore the bonus warscore pips, and maybe just based on your wxp rank, but that isn't a priority for them.

Hm I don't think you lose mist war participation in Eotm, they seem to run separately, as the mist war participation system gives progress on reward track and skirmish track, the Eotm participation system gives you progress only on reward tracks, at a slower rate. 

There was nothing competitive about it, it was a constant k-train that had one side wipe out the other two within an hour of the match, usually green because they were usually the top servers of their tiers, back when tiers didn't have 1u1d but had glicko walls. There was some fun parts of Eotm, like blowing up bridges with zergs on them, or fearing zergs off the edge (hardly something you could do today with all the boon ball stability spam).

Anet killed it with neglect. They have a habit of making throwaway maps. I feel bad for the devs who put their time into it. I assume doing anything with eotm is not a profit for them. They would have to figure out how the map even functions on their end to even begin upgrading it. It's possible those devs who made it are long gone?