The core of GW2 - Arenanet philosophy

Splat.7981

11 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

This is all over Tyria.  10+ years in the game, and just this week I passed by a town crier in Divinity's Reach who said to no one in particular as he was strolling:  "I like .... pie."

That was it.  He just kept on walking.

I had never seen him/heard him before.  10+ years.  Still finding little things like this.

Now I want to find the pie guy.  That's hilarious and random.  I do love these little gems that you just find as after running by so many times.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

This is all over Tyria.  10+ years in the game, and just this week I passed by a town crier in Divinity's Reach who said to no one in particular as he was strolling:  "I like .... pie."

That was it.  He just kept on walking.

I had never seen him/heard him before.  10+ years.  Still finding little things like this.

That's brilliant. 😄

There's two random little details I really like. Firstly this rabbit, who I do not trust. At all.

Secondly this little toy boat: https://i.imgur.com/KgEJ4z9.jpg
It doesn't do anything, it's not part of an event or an achievement, it's just there's kids playing nearby, so someone made a unique model for the little boat they're playing with.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

WoW you really needed a guild or a solid group of friends to show up regularly to be able to do older content with, people who wanted mounts or achievements.  I had the good fortune to have a guild with the people I played with daily, and was able to do many things that were not new content.  I played WotLK upon release, some of my all time favorite story and content for any game.  

GW2 can have some of the same issues...but you can join up to five guilds that help fulfill multiple roles for you.  The looking for group tool is very effective, as well as asking on a map or in a city.  The community is very helpful, and one of the best aspects of the game.  Dailies and achievements and how they try to tie in new content to old maps also helps a lot to keep areas active.  

Core Tyria is a free game....you pay nothing, just play.  If you want more, pick up some expansions when they are on sale.  Remember it is not WoW, it is its own game.  The combat, maps, open world content, and gorgeous mount design are some of the best aspects that often outshine WoW.  Take a breath, relax, and just enjoy adventuring.  

You mentioned that for you WotLK was your favorite story and content in any game...so i guess that GW2 lacks on those aspects? It's ok if it does, i can't expect to have everything.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Splat.7981 said:

You mentioned that for you WotLK was your favorite story and content in any game...so i guess that GW2 lacks on those aspects? It's ok if it does, i can't expect to have everything.

IMO, the storyline in GW2 is not as compelling.  It improves over time, but it's a lot weaker.  There really aren't Wrathgate moments or the feeling of urgency to get to the end baddie.  But it has many moments of humanity, camaraderie, hopelessness, and triumph that still keep it moving forward.  Please don't let the wordiness and slow pace of the core story or living world season 1 drive you away in your personal story lol. 

Don't take the story super serious, and just go with it.  It's subjective of course, but it's grown on me over the years.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

IMO, the storyline in GW2 is not as compelling.  It improves over time, but it's a lot weaker.  There really aren't Wrathgate moments or the feeling of urgency to get to the end baddie.  But it has many moments of humanity, camaraderie, hopelessness, and triumph that still keep it moving forward.  Please don't let the wordiness and slow pace of the core story or living world season 1 drive you away in your personal story lol. 

Don't take the story super serious, and just go with it.  It's subjective of course, but it's grown on me over the years.  

Hello Farohna and thank you for keeping up with this post, i tend to ask a lot 😞 

About the story it's ok i can't expect excellence in all the aspects of a game I'm just diving into, WoW also has it's issues and yes i can agree that the story in WoW possibly is more compelling than GW2, i would hope so since WoW has been around since 2004 but i think that at times even the people responsible for the game and it's lore they messed up at times with the direction of the story but that's another topic.
I don't know how Arenanet developed GW2 story, i honestly hope that it goes in a different way than WoW did, i hope that i can get into the lore or discover some of it while exploring, talking to characters at times and even with the main story or even something inside a dungeon or a raid, what i think WoW  did very poorly was the way that the lore unravels before the eyes of players either veterans or new players, i feel that a lot of parts of the lore and at times big parts of it are found outside of the game, comics and mainly books, i mean i don't mind reading at all, i love it but i think that the game has to do a good job explaining to the player what he's part of, the world he/she is in and so on by playing the game and not by having to resort to books or comics to have a grasp of what the hell is going on.

One thing and this is unrelated to the topic, i was in Divinity's Reach last night and i notice a human player with a different hairstyle that i didn't see when creating my character, are there unique hairstyles? Do we have to go to the store or we unlock them in game with achievements?  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Splat.7981 said:

One thing and this is unrelated to the topic, i was in Divinity's Reach last night and i notice a human player with a different hairstyle that i didn't see when creating my character, are there unique hairstyles? Do we have to go to the store or we unlock them in game with achievements?  

The hair kits and total makeover kits offer choices beyond what the character creation system off. Not only for hair, but faces, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Splat.7981 said:

Hello Farohna and thank you for keeping up with this post, i tend to ask a lot 😞 

About the story it's ok i can't expect excellence in all the aspects of a game I'm just diving into, WoW also has it's issues and yes i can agree that the story in WoW possibly is more compelling than GW2, i would hope so since WoW has been around since 2004 but i think that at times even the people responsible for the game and it's lore they messed up at times with the direction of the story but that's another topic.
I don't know how Arenanet developed GW2 story, i honestly hope that it goes in a different way than WoW did, i hope that i can get into the lore or discover some of it while exploring, talking to characters at times and even with the main story or even something inside a dungeon or a raid, what i think WoW  did very poorly was the way that the lore unravels before the eyes of players either veterans or new players, i feel that a lot of parts of the lore and at times big parts of it are found outside of the game, comics and mainly books, i mean i don't mind reading at all, i love it but i think that the game has to do a good job explaining to the player what he's part of, the world he/she is in and so on by playing the game and not by having to resort to books or comics to have a grasp of what the hell is going on.

I agree with you on the varying quality of story and lore.  Using the wiki in GW2 can answer many questions, and the lore forums here have players who can probably answer anything you come across and have questions about.  And questions are you learn and gain knowledge, so definitely ask away....there's always someone who has an answer.  I think there are books for GW2, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but not sure if they're written by Anet or by fans.  I've read the WoW ones, so I get what you're saying.  

In regards to hairstyles, there are exclusive ones that come with the total makeover kits and the self style hair kits https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Self-Style_Hair_Kit

• Like 1