Improve Magic Find

My bad on the unid gear.  Like I said, anecdotal. I undoubtedly open more unid on the main, thus see more upgraded results.

The wiki somewhat refers to ascended drops, when it says enemies can drop steel chests, which contain exotic or ascended gear.

While magic find doesn't affect what you get when you identify unidentifed gear, I believe it does affect the quality of the unidentified gear you get, but only in cases where that unidentified items go directly to your inventory, and not in cases where you get a container that you open later.  I'm certainly seeing more unidentified green items vs blue with higher magic find, but this can be hard to quantify as it can also depend on the content.  Some content/rewards are just coded to give rare unidentified gear, regardless of magic find (not sure if MF in that case might increase the chance of getting an exotic or not)

That is one of the biggest problems with MF - exactly how it works and what it does is very unclear, so there is a fair amount of guesswork as to what it does.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Solvar.7953 said:

While magic find doesn't affect what you get when you identify unidentifed gear, I believe it does affect the quality of the unidentified gear you get, but only in cases where that unidentified items go directly to your inventory, and not in cases where you get a container that you open later.  I'm certainly seeing more unidentified green items vs blue with higher magic find, but this can be hard to quantify as it can also depend on the content.  Some content/rewards are just coded to give rare unidentified gear, regardless of magic find (not sure if MF in that case might increase the chance of getting an exotic or not)

That is one of the biggest problems with MF - exactly how it works and what it does is very unclear, so there is a fair amount of guesswork as to what it does.

Yes, MF can affect the type of unid you can get from a direct mob drop. What it does not affect is unids obtained from other containers/event chests. Nor does it affect the gear you get from opening ("identifying") unids. And while there are some exceptions to the former (i.e. silverwastes chests), there are no exceptions to the latter. When opening unids, MF is completely irrelevant.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2