Returning player, Half my exclusive dyes are gone, saying I don't own them.

I have a 2012 account, I owned almost half of the exclusive dyes over the years, log in today and almost all of them are locked, I even have old characters with those dyes on their armor showing the lock key... how is this possible? I remember spending absurd amounts of gold on them.

Edited by DivineDreaming.7206
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

Don't change the character dye,. and maintain them as "proof" of your claim and contact support. surely they will fix it.

This^^ and open a ticket with customer service. Hope they can sort things out for you.

It's possible that some characters might have the default dyes (which can include dyes you don't actually have unlocked) on their armor pieces. That doesn't explain your previously-purchased dyes being *locked, though. 

Edited by RoseofGilead.8907

Just now, RoseofGilead.8907 said:

It's possible that some characters might have the default dyes (which can include dyes you don't actually have unlocked) on their armor pieces. That doesn't explain your previously-purchased dyes being unlocked, though. 

oh I know that could be a issue, but these are all exclusive dyes, that I've already owned in the past and used on older characters, even when I go to Dyes, over my cursor over the already dyed armor shows a lock key, some of those dyes back in the day cost a lot of gold. I will for sure ask customer service, ty for all the help, I just wasn't sure if a update may of caused problems, it's been since EOD came out that I last logged the game.

Years ago, in 2014 more specifically, Anet changed how dyes worked. Before, you would have to give the dyes separately to each character. Then they realized that it wasn't a good system because people like to have alts but some dyes were just too expensive to give to all your alts, so they changed it to the current system, where you unlock the dyes per account and not per character like it used to be before. The problem is that back then, some people actually bought expensive dyes to different characters, which may seem to be your case.

The dye page on wiki doesn't refer to this patch anymore since it's really old but you can read about it in the patch notes from the day the change happened: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates/2014-04-15#Wardrobe
I assume that you got a bunch of unid dyes in your mail when you got back to play, they are the ones that replaced the duplicates you had (refer to #3 listed below).

The list of the dye changes were:

1. Dyes are now account unlocks.
2. Each dye unlocked on a character will be unlocked for the player's entire account the next time they log in with that character.
3. Duplicate dyes unlocked on multiple characters will be compensated by mailing the player an Unidentified Dye when the second character logs in.
4. Unidentified Dyes no longer drop as common loot from creatures in the world. They are still available as rewards and as a Mystic Forge result.
5. Dye packs can still be crafted by cooks.
6. The laurel cost of Unidentified Dyes has changed to 5 laurels for one dye.
7. Any four crafted dye packs can now be combined in the Mystic Forge to create an Unidentified Dye.
8. To account for the increased scarcity of Unidentified Dye, the Gift of Color recipe now only requires 100 Unidentified Dyes.

So if you still have them applied to your characters armor, don't swap them, take print screens from dyes alerady applied and the locked icon on their name, then send it to Anet's Support..maybe they can do something about it?

Edited by leila.7962
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

leila.7962

Years ago, in 2014 more specifically, Anet changed how dyes worked. Before, you would have to give the dyes separately to each character. Then they realized that it wasn't a good system because people like to have alts but some dyes were just too expensive to give to all your alts, so they changed it to the current system, where you unlock the dyes per account and not per character like it used to be before. The problem is that back then, some people actually bought expensive dyes to different characters, which may seem to be your case.

4 hours ago, DivineDreaming.7206 said:

since EOD came out that I last logged the game

Edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t know if trading post history has a cut-off, but if you’ve been away from the game a long time you might be able to go into your trading post buy history and screenshot the evidence of you previously purchasing them?