[Request] Weapon swap during combat [Merged]

Posted (edited)
On 4/11/2024 at 11:24 AM, draxynnic.3719 said:

The page system is restrictive enough that you can't stick in a tome indefinitely without effectively afking, so tomes can't replace weaponswap in functionality, unlike kits (used to be possible with Tome of Justice as long as you kept scoring kills, but no longer). The page system also means that using one tome impacts your ability to use other tomes, unlike kits. You also don't have half a dozen tomes to pick from in order to complement your weapon and build, unlike kits, you're stuck with what you have regardless of whether it's useful or not. The passive buffs you're saying I've forgotten about are just the core guardian traits continuing to function (mostly), and I don't see anybody here proposing to trade engineer's toolbelt for a weaponswap (not to mention that if you take the right traits, you CAN get something similar for kits).

Like other people have said, and I've said a few times myself, the underperformance of kits should be resolved by improving the kits. Kits and turrets are supposed to be the main features of engineer - problem is, kits have been left to rot for years, and turrets have been in the dirt since 2015. Being more direct, the problem was that we had a balance lead for years that just didn't like kits, and the new team doesn't seem to have got around to rectifying that.

The whole "shortbow feels like a swap" (many people I've talked to have been even more direct and said that it feels like a kit) is why I floated the thought earlier about whether it would be reasonable for engineer to get another kit in lieu of another weapon. Because kits can be designed to be used alongside at least one other weapon, would have the potential to be something really exotic rather than having to be squeezed into a concept that fits within the established list of weapons, and a new kit probably would be just as significant for engineer as a new weapon would be for another profession.

You have a good point, but the likelihood of anet now placing the bow as a kit, and give engies a brand new weapon is next to none.

Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

Would that be done though, I'd probably accept the change, if the new weapon was an off hand, which engies lack of... such as a mace, and perhaps stop requesting weapon swap.

To be completely honest, now that we're at it.

Most engineers weapon skills, either main, kits, or otherwise, are imho a joke.

They have a ton of unnecessary nets.

Rifle net, turret nets, toolbelt nets, underwater nets.

There's a never-ending supply of nets.

They should have called it fisherman rather than engineer.

Pistol is a joke. The flame shot hits nothing but air, and that glue shot is infantile and something out of looney toons. I despise it with all my being.

Turrets are only good for those, so lovely, game economy-ruinmakers, afk farmers.

Currently farming Southsun, and Instan caves.

Elixir gun is useless.

Grenades are only useful at close range, if you are taking down a tower gate, but even then, why would you, when flamethrower exists?

... mass damage holding down a button.

And don't get me started on holosmith. 

The whole thing is just a mess.

I hate those skin textures it displays, and the skills are just allover the place with no relevance to one another whatsoever.

The only good thing about it is the sword, which now you're free to use in any spec anyways.

Only the elite skill has some spark to it.

Engineers as they stand now, it's like a car boot sale, or an antiques sale.

You walk around for ages looking at A lot of junk, but in the end only finding the one or two decent pieces.

I can describe all my 3 engies rotation in just 5 steps or less.

I'll give you +5 stars 🌟  if you can guess what they are.

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1