[Request] Weapon swap during combat [Merged]

I'd like to request weapon swap while in combat for engineers. 

It could be with one condition:

Allowed only one weapon kit in utilities. 

If you equip more than one weapon kit in utility skills, the weapon swap becomes locked while in combat.

For those who don't use weapon kits, and prefer to use elixirs, or other skills would not have much of a disadvantage, especially if you want to use elite specs skills.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 13

As a PMech player I would love this. Currently I play signet build with throw mine. Hammer Rifle combo could make gameplay Sooo much better. Tho I dont know how benchmarks would change and thats all Anet looking at before nerfing class.

• Like 3
  • Confused 6

I do not want this, because I do not like weapon swap at all, 1 weapon and a large array of abilities, that is why I play my engineer.

If they did anything close to that I would rather they just replaced the toolbelt altogether with the ability to use your secondary weapon without requiring swaps via the toolbelt buttons.

Edited by Stalima.5490
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

You don't have to use it.

Just don't equip a second set of weapons, and you won't have any issues.

As you were.

But where am I going to put my bloodlust stacking weapon?

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

The class is not balanced around having weaponswap, and the majority of players playing it actively disagree with the idea, what more do you need to stop asking for it? (referring to the other weaponswap requests).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

I was on the fence about weapon swap but the more I tinker with it, the more it comes to mind that the shortbow, in ANet's great wisdom, was intended as a weapon swap weapon and they forgot that engineers cannot weapon swap. Do I think that engies need to give up kit utility to weapon swap? Not really, especially not in the way the meta keeps changing, and the shortbow still needs buffs before it can be considered decently support solo viable. But the shortbow definitely brings the case, since we do lack a steady aegis effect, that weapon swap should be more and more apart of our kit.

• Like 5
  • Confused 4

19 minutes ago, jason.1083 said:

The class is not balanced around having weaponswap, and the majority of players playing it actively disagree with the idea, what more do you need to stop asking for it? (referring to the other weaponswap requests).

You don't get to speak on behalf of everyone.

I think you'll find that the majority of people will agree, regardless if they want weapon swap or not.

Also, the very tiny fraction of people who frequent these forums doesn't represent even a fraction of the millions of active players.

Also, what more do I need to stop?

It looks to me like you are taking this personally, and it is clear that is triggering you.

If it bothers you that much, walk away.

You're getting all worked out over a game.

Just as @Ravenwulfe.5360 is saying.

Short bow is not a viable weapon for CQC.

Since you only have a spanner as a melee, which is not even viable neither, there has to be a weapon swap.

The game is constantly changing.

That neans other aspects need and have to change along with it.

ANet devs know this, so don't be surprised if weapon swap happens anyways.

If the devs didn't, they would have given us  weapons other than a two handed one.

If that was a mistake from their part, which I don't believe it was... well, then it was intentional, and more likely weapon swap will be a thing for engineers in any event.

So, chill out. Get some popcorn, some fizz, and watch a movie.

Don't get your shoelaces in a twist. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 9

7 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

You don't get to speak on behalf of everyone.

I think you'll find that the majority of people will agree, regardless if they want weapon swap or not.

Also, the very tiny fraction of people who frequent these forums doesn't represent even a fraction of the millions of active players.

Also, what more do I need to stop?

It looks to me like you are taking this personally, and it is clear that is triggering you.

If it bothers you that much, walk away.

You're getting all worked out over a game.

Just as @Ravenwulfe.5360 is saying.

Short bow is not a viable weapon for CQC.

Since you only have a spanner as a melee, which is not even viable neither, there has to be a weapon swap.

The game is constantly changing.

That neans other aspects need and have to change along with it.

ANet devs know this, so don't be surprised if weapon swap happens anyways.

If the devs didn't, they would have given us  weapons other than a two handed one.

If that was a mistake from their part, which I don't believe it was... well, then it was intentional, and more likely weapon swap will be a thing for engineers in any event.

So, chill out. Get some popcorn, some fizz, and watch a movie.

Don't get your shoelaces in a twist. 

I'm not taking it personally, I'm saying it's a bad idea, a balancing nightmare that will most likely end up making the class worse overall nerfing every other aspect of it. It's a part of it's identity. And shortbow being the way it is doesn't mean anything, the only difference is that it's a pure support weapon, which obviously makes it bad at doing anything else other than that.

• Like 7
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

You don't have to use it.

Just don't equip a second set of weapons, and you won't have any issues.

As you were.

Well, if you want weapon swap, you have 7 other classes to pick from. Engineer is made around not having weapon swaps and literally has obvious mechanics that are used in weaponswap's place. What you want now is to keep the weaponswap compensation and get weapon swap on top of it. Stop trying to make everything play the same way.

Also, try using search function before making the thread that was already recently discussed, it's like 5 threads below this one.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, jason.1083 said:

I'm not taking it personally, I'm saying it's a bad idea, a balancing nightmare that will most likely end up making the class worse overall nerfing every other aspect of it. It's a part of it's identity. And shortbow being the way it is doesn't mean anything, the only difference is that it's a pure support weapon, which obviously makes it bad at doing anything else other than that.

I think you're missing the point though.

Every single class must have an option to switch between long range and close range weapons.

There are a few exceptions, such as elementalists, who are stuck with one weapon during combat.

You'll find if you play pvp or wvw, using a long range weapon only, you will constantly become target of every single melee user out there, and you won't survive long.

So don't even think about roaming solo in wvw, unless you're holo... and even then, you gotta be a dedicated holo.

Forget about pvp with a bow.

You'll just get screamed out of the stage.

So you see, there must be a weapon swap.

• Like 1
  • Confused 7

22 minutes ago, jason.1083 said:

I personally think you are jumping to conclusions, and to say it's a balance nightmare is really over selling it. Furthermore you might want to get out of that bubble since I found it's actually a great mob clearing weapon when used properly and not set up for a support weapon. Which is the crux of its problems.

Edited by Ravenwulfe.5360
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 4

Adding weapon swap would probably for auto attacks to hit like wet noodles on engi imo which would not be great for condi enjoyers having to swap to sword or mace if using pistol. Power holo and condi holo having weapon swap would basically nerf a lot of great things about engi to the ground if we got weapon swap. And supports having weapon swap would probably nerf medkit even more and I think its been tuned down enough.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, ChrisWhitey.9076 said:

Adding weapon swap would probably for auto attacks to hit like wet noodles on engi imo which would not be great for condi enjoyers having to swap to sword or mace if using pistol. Power holo and condi holo having weapon swap would basically nerf a lot of great things about engi to the ground if we got weapon swap. And supports having weapon swap would probably nerf medkit even more and I think its been tuned down enough.

I don't get why you think anything needs to be nerfed at all?

If that's your concern, I don't see why anyghing would be nerfed.

Again, as Ravenwulf was saying, short bow isn't a weapon powerful enough to justify nerfs of any kind to engineer.

• Like 1
  • Confused 9

35 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

I think you're missing the point though.

Every single class must have an option to switch between long range and close range weapons.

I think you're the one missing the point here, engineer already have the tools to do that with kits and toolbelt.

35 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

There are a few exceptions, such as elementalists, who are stuck with one weapon during combat.

Actual few exceptions: elementalist and engineer. And that's because their profession mechanics are rather clearly made to substitute weapon swap.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

I don't get why you think anything needs to be nerfed at all?

If that's your concern, I don't see why anyghing would be nerfed.

Holo is built around its burst dps and fast ramp and if it can have access to weapon swap it could hit potentially 46k dps where the other professions are trying kept around 42k. If weapon swap was allowed things have to be nerfed to keep things balanced.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

That maybe an elite spec type of thing unless you want core eng only able to swap though an F5 (losing the F5 for the elite skill). I am all for making core classes have there own f5 that dose not carry over to the elite spec.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Jski.6180 said:

That maybe an elite spec type of thing unless you want core eng only able to swap though an F5 (losing the F5 for the elite skill). I am all for making core classes have there own f5 that dose not carry over to the elite spec.

That's a way to go.

Core only, using F5 as a trade-off. 

Very good Jski.

I like that.

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

That's a way to go.

Core only, using F5 as a trade-off. 

Very good Jski.

I like that.

I kind of want an F5 for ele core as well for an wepon swap. But for both eng and ele the F5 core swap would be on a 20-30 sec cd something you should only be doing 1 or 2 times during combat.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

8 minutes ago, Jski.6180 said:

I kind of want an F5 for ele core as well for an wepon swap. But for both eng and ele the F5 core swap would be on a 20-30 sec cd something you should only be doing 1 or 2 times during combat.

So other classes should get kits + toolbelts with added cds or 4 elements on 20-30 sec cds. 🤔 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

I fully agree with OP, it is long past time that this change is made. Engineer does not have parity with the other classes as things stand.

Engineering kits are nothing other than an optional utility, no different than Elixirs or Gadgets, if it was the intention that every Engineer MUST equip one then it would have been designed that way. Obviously it was not, but it seems we currently have a situation where Engineer has no weaponswap because they MIGHT have taken a certain utility? That does not seem like a well thought out design.

The Engineer does NOT have two profession mechanics; toolbelt and kits, that is utter nonsense. The toolbelt is the profession mechanic, nothing else. These are facts anyone can find for themselves on the wiki.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 5

47 minutes ago, revolucion.7518 said:

I fully agree with OP, it is long past time that this change is made. Engineer does not have parity with the other classes as things stand.

Well, that's false in both pve and competitive modes, so wonder what exactly do you mean by saying this?

Engineering kits are nothing other than an optional utility, no different than Elixirs or Gadgets

That's also false, the kits are full weapon bars (with no swap cooldown) which is not something elixirs or gadgets provide. Combine that with toolbelt which means you're not even losing a keypress for whatever utility/kit you slot and it should be clear how engineer is specifically made with no weaponswap. Similar to ele and their alternative swaps in the form of elements.

if it was the intention that every Engineer MUST equip one then it would have been designed that way.

Isn't this like trying to say other classes "aren't made or balanced around including weaponswap because they don't need to equip secondary weapon". Duh, nobody needs to equip any weapon or armor, but it still doesn't mean they aren't meant to. I can play without swapping weapons on any class (and many players/simplified builds do), but it's a choice rather than a defining element of deciding whether or not the class is made with it in mind.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4