Return to Season 2 doesn't unlock the LW?

Germ.3187

I mean, why should it?

Only one achievement of the rush is actually tied to the story instances, and you only need 8/10 of the achievements (if I did my finger counting right).

This isn't the same as the Return to from 2020 leading up to EoD's launch which covered 1-2 episodes each week. And it isn't like the Fractal Rush gave instant access to master tier fractals for everyone.

Next you'll say you expect the HoT Rush to give HoT free to everyone...

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I can confirm you can complete the meta-achievement without doing any story instances.

I managed to complete the whole thing in about 2 hours (luckily I had enough keys already) - starting in Dry Top doing events around the map and staying through the sandstorm then going over to Silverwastes and doing the meta. Ironically the last achievement I did was talking to Ogden in the Grove. I also finally got the last coins for the Coin Collector achievements in Dry Top.

I was also hoping the 'return to' event would unlock the season.
I am new to the game (been playing just over a year). As I understand it, those who bought the game/expansions as they were released were able to unlock the Living World seasons for free as they became available simply by playing the game. I will never be able to do that as a new player, and am saddened ArenaNet hasn't enabled new players to unlock the season by playing the return to event.

• Confused 2

3 hours ago, janie.6801 said:

I am new to the game (been playing just over a year). As I understand it, those who bought the game/expansions as they were released were able to unlock the Living World seasons for free as they became available simply by playing the game. I will never be able to do that as a new player, and am saddened ArenaNet hasn't enabled new players to unlock the season by playing the return to event.

Getting the season episodes for free was meant as a gift to active players. You had to actually log into the game at the time of release to get the episodes - for season 2, this was a 2 week time period. I can understand the disappointment about missing out on stuff (I have for other things), but it's not like ANet wasn't upfront about it since the get go.

That, and I think giving the entire season away free at once is a bit much without just making LWS2 a free season outright (something many folks have advocated for due to its highest price over lowest gains compared to other seasons).

Personally, the most I was hoping/expecting out of this was Season 2 going on sale - or more ideally, permanently becoming cheaper/free.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2024 at 5:47 AM, janie.6801 said:

Sorry you missed out on the free content, but ArenaNet is a business and they need to make money, which is why it's not being offered for free after the fact. The initial free implementation was to incentivize players to stay in the game. The longer you play, the more likely you are to spend money on it. If you want that old content, you'll have to buy it. Save up a little money and support this game you like, considering most everything else is basically free.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1