March 19th Sword changes feedback

jason.1083

March 19th Sword changes feedback  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the changes on Sword were appropriate afterall?

• Yes, it's better as it is currently.
    • No it was better prior to the March 19th patch.

After 1 month of daily use, I still haven't gotten used to this, it feels worse and it doesnt prevent the use of AA in any capacity.

The way I always saw it was that Sword was made this way to facilitate kitless gameplay, of which I'm a fan of for various reasons.

This just ruins that, you end up running out of skills to use, so you are left with AA, and guess what, now you need even more AA cycles to at least get your Sword skills recharged, do in my experience, I've actually increased my AA use compared to before.

The devs really need to rethink this. So to make it simple, I made a poll to hopefully get a clear answer to which version is better.

• Sad 1

I feel like it's better now with nades, and basically the same for kitless (not surprising, more room to fit stuff in now, and kitless doesn't have stuff to fit in so it plays basically the same as before).  With the cooldown reductions you get the same number of sword2's as before, so I'm really not understanding how it was better before?

1 hour ago, Jerus.4350 said:

I feel like it's better now with nades, and basically the same for kitless (not surprising, more room to fit stuff in now, and kitless doesn't have stuff to fit in so it plays basically the same as before).  With the cooldown reductions you get the same number of sword2's as before, so I'm really not understanding how it was better before?

It has to do with the CD reduction alignment with the actual cooldowns of the skills. And it's not just about the established builds and how much it impacts those and their performance, it's about the role and usability of the weapon as a whole.

For me personally the change impacted Radiant Arc because now it's almost impossible to use it twice before cooling from ~150 to 100 heat and in my build I want to be doing that as part of the 100% quickness uptime. 

Everyone has their reasons for liking or not liking the change, the reason why I think a poll is good is because it provides a clear representation of what people think about the change. And as I said in the original post, I feel like it doesn't manage to accomplish the reason it was introduced, to reduce AA camping.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hard to decide which option to vote for. 

The changes were definitely an improvement for sword in instanced PvE, since it means you can focus on pressing your other skills without caring too much about auto attacking, not to mention we have more skills to press since pistol 4 and 5 do good power damage now.

But it really ruined sword in open world, since it means the high quickness uptime is gone. 

4 hours ago, Trevor Philips.3824 said:

Hard to decide which option to vote for. 

The changes were definitely an improvement for sword in instanced PvE, since it means you can focus on pressing your other skills without caring too much about auto attacking, not to mention we have more skills to press since pistol 4 and 5 do good power damage now.

But it really ruined sword in open world, since it means the high quickness uptime is gone. 

Thing is the Sword 3 in particular didn't get enough compensation to account for the AA nerf, a good middle ground would be to keep the 6 sec CD on Refraction Cutter with the 1 sec CD reduction and revert the change on Radiant Arc including the 3 sec CD reduction from AA, because reducing its CD further is quite unlikely.

But even on Refraction Cutter, can't they at least make some tweaks to have the CD reduction align with the CD, as it is currently (with quickness at least) it leaves a time frame where it's not ready but also you can't fit another AA and it just feels off.

On 4/17/2024 at 7:31 AM, jason.1083 said:

It has to do with the CD reduction alignment with the actual cooldowns of the skills. And it's not just about the established builds and how much it impacts those and their performance, it's about the role and usability of the weapon as a whole.

For me personally the change impacted Radiant Arc because now it's almost impossible to use it twice before cooling from ~150 to 100 heat and in my build I want to be doing that as part of the 100% quickness uptime. 

Everyone has their reasons for liking or not liking the change, the reason why I think a poll is good is because it provides a clear representation of what people think about the change. And as I said in the original post, I feel like it doesn't manage to accomplish the reason it was introduced, to reduce AA camping.

Polls are nice to get opinions of those who go on the forums but a good amount of player feedback is still missing due to these players not using the forums or just here to see what is being posted instead of interacting with what is posted. 

If we can get the feedback of the players focus on playing the game more then we can get a better view on the opinions as a majority. 

Sometimes the feedback on the forums is not accurate to the feedback of the majority since the opinion on the forums may not be in line with the majority that play the game, just the small amount of people who only put effort voicing their opinion on the forums.

Edited by EdwinLi.1284

56 minutes ago, EdwinLi.1284 said:

Polls are nice to get opinions of those who go on the forums but a good amount of player feedback is still missing due to these players not using the forums or just here to see what is being posted instead of interacting with what is posted. 

If we can get the feedback of the players focus on playing the game more then we can get a better view on the opinions as a majority. 

Sometimes the feedback on the forums is not accurate to the feedback of the majority since the opinion on the forums may not be in line with the majority that play the game, just the small amount of people who only put effort voicing their opinion on the forums.

That's true, but I can't do that, the only one who could potentially do that is Anet, and they won't.

Very few people use the forums more than once a month where they find an answer to a question they had in here, but at least I'm kind of expecting the "experts' opinion" here, people who have enough knowledge on the subject and can support their arguments with facts and logic. And I hope to get some of these people here, because discussing it in-game or on Discord more often than not doesn't go anywhere because people won't know enough about it.

I'm looking for opinions of people like me, that used sword in all game modes, with all kinds of different builds.

My problem with the way the engi sword works in general is that this mechanic would have better suited a charge based weapon as you would be better rewarded for getting streams of attacks off while not overly pressured to immediately use the abilities.

10 hours ago, Stalima.5490 said:

My problem with the way the engi sword works in general is that this mechanic would have better suited a charge based weapon as you would be better rewarded for getting streams of attacks off while not overly pressured to immediately use the abilities.

I honestly think the sword should just be completely redesigned at this point. It was never intended originally to be used outside of Holosmith which is why it is having so many issues right now when players try to use it outside of Holosmith. 

Anet will need to completely revamp how the Sword skills work to account for the new Weapon Master system.

On 4/21/2024 at 6:10 AM, EdwinLi.1284 said:

I honestly think the sword should just be completely redesigned at this point. It was never intended originally to be used outside of Holosmith which is why it is having so many issues right now when players try to use it outside of Holosmith. 

Anet will need to completely revamp how the Sword skills work to account for the new Weapon Master system.

I was literally saying that Sword would be a disaster the day the announced Weapon master training was going to be a thing. It needs serious rebalancing, not just a little increase in power coefficiency.

On 4/21/2024 at 8:40 AM, EdwinLi.1284 said:

Sword even has issues when used with holosmith...

Holosmith sword skill #2 on character created after soto release

Untitled.png.a5b0c9577a7216ea8a95cae926105d66.png

Edited by Crystal Paladin.3871