Solution to being outnumbered

I was just discussing something similar with a guildie, while re-watching that same video (classic).

I'd actually like "Lines", like that line of fear, and line of warding etc, to have no target caps. Make it a defining trait of that specific type of skill, and then try to get 1-2 on each classes.

* They have obvious tells, so there's counter play.
* They'd be a defined type of skills that comes with no target limit
* Lets each class have something that can be useful in zergs
* It would limit the number of such skills each player could bring to a zerg (1-2 per class total)
* As such they'd become skills that defines the "tempo" of zerg battles, and also letting smaller groups affect zergs through smart play and coordination.

That said I *REALLY* would wish for all of these to be available to core classes, as to not break the advantages of elites further.

Heck give Thief a Line of boon-stealing, with no target caps, and see them getting instant spots in zergs.

12 minutes ago, joneirikb.7506 said:

Make it a defining trait of that specific type of skill

Used to be the case in fact. I think it was good because then you had stability able to prevent an unlimited number of stuns while lines could cc an unlimited number of targets without stability. It was an interaction that was less dependent on numbers. These days you can spam too much stability for this to return unfortunately.

Great, in theory, until you realize that what a 10 man with no target caps can do a 50 man with no target caps can do 3x better. If you want to buff small groups you need to give them something that can't be adopted and exploited to even greater effect by larger numbers. Gotta think outside the box here. 

Instituting some kind of competitive split based on numbers in squad isn't the answer because groups don't need a squad to abuse it, just voice coms. Back at launch squads didn't exist, you just had an entire map of 5-man parties all in voice coms. Besides, if you thought the lag was bad now just imagine how it'll be if the servers have to calculate how many people are in an area and then adjust skills based on that data on the fly. 

I'm sure a solution exists to remove the significant disadvantages a small group faces when it fights a larger one, but it's important to understand that having less people should be a disadvantage. You need a way to punch up, something that requires strategy and coordination. Something dependent on player agency.

A smaller group shouldn't win because the game handed them a handicap sufficient to overcome a lack of friends. A smaller group should win because their play was simply better.. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1