Adaptative Sync works? Insane microstuttering even at 1 fps drop.

The microstuttering is insane.

My platform is:

5700X at 5.0ghz.
RX 6600 8gb.
32 gb of DDR4 memory.
M.2 drive.

My monitor has an adaptative sync range of 45 to 75 fps. If i leave everything unlocked the GPU can push well over 100 FPS but thats not ideal cause the massive microstuttering AND tearing.
But even if it goes as low as 74 out of 75hz of the monitor the stuttering appears.

I've tried reducing the poling rate of my mouse, graphics settings in-game change absolutely nothing since the setup can handle everything pretty well anyways, so there is no diference between ultra or no shadows for example, the moment the game is anything but 75 fps the stuttering appears and is quite annoying.

My only solution so far has been to lock the FPS to 40 (below the min Adaptative Sync and the very minimun drops i get on very busy/intense maps like Amnytas) through RTSS. Which gets rid of the stuttering but seriously, how is this game performing this bad?

Im also playing on a fresh windows installation, i have windows, a browser and GW2.
The game is already in the windows graphics settings for maximum performance and adaptative sync is ON.
Poling rate was reduced because many reported that it caused stuttering on camera movement.
Tried all graphic setting profiles from low to maximum and anything in between.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

You can try a clean install of your graphics driver: using DDU.

https://www.guru3d.com/download/display-driver-uninstaller-download/

If that does not help, it may be a driver/hardware issue. You should try to turn VSync on. Your hardware is powerful enough to get a decent framerate with VSync on and when it is always on the driver does not have to switch between on and off all the time. IF performance is bad, try to lower the amount of characters and the amount of high-detail characters in GW2 rendering options.

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)

Others have reported problems with the AMD gpus and driver with DX11 games.  You'll want to search around this forum for past posts and suggestions on what driver configurations have worked.

For example:

Edited by Chaba.5410
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

You can try a clean install of your graphics driver: using DDU.

Already did that a thousand times in the last 6 months. Is not a driver issue.

3 hours ago, Chaba.5410 said:

Others have reported problems with the AMD gpus and driver with DX11 games.  You'll want to search around this forum for past posts and suggestions on what driver configurations have worked.

For example:

Thank you, will try to use DXVK as it seems to be the only solution reasonable.
I won't use AMD Adrenaline cause its just terrible.

And also Chill never worked for my client anyways. 

• Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/21/2024 at 7:56 PM, Inssengrimm.7924 said:

Already did that a thousand times in the last 6 months. Is not a driver issue.

Thank you, will try to use DXVK as it seems to be the only solution reasonable.
I won't use AMD Adrenaline cause its just terrible.

And also Chill never worked for my client anyways. 

Adrenalin is terrible? Compared to Nvidia's GeForce Experience it's vastly better.

Edited by Jmvars.4501
  • Sad 1

I don't know if the microstutter bug for RDNA2 (RX 6000 GPUs) is still a thing, but you can test this easily: The bug is/was caused by a faulty powerstate. The GPU won't clock much higher than 1 GHz causing this stuttering. This bug did only show up in DX9, which officially isn't the API of GW2 anymore. The game switched to DX11.

Regarding your description of your system behavior:

• Chill not working in any game is a red flag that's something is wrong with your driver configuration. Chill is very robust and works in 99 out of 100 games. Since it's a CPU based frame limiter its frame pacing is sometimes suboptimal, but it should at least limit your fps accordingly in most games.
  • When you disable VSync, then stuttering above your adaptive sync range but not below does not make sense. Technically a fixed refresh rate monitor "stutters" all the time when not locked into the VSync refresh rate (in your case locked 75 fps). That uneven frame pacing (=stuttering) not matching your refresh rate is exactly what causes the tearing. That means you have always both at the same time: stuttering and tearing. For an adaptive sync monitor that means that you are getting stuttering and tearing below and above your adaptive sync range.

Are you playing in window mode? Technically adaptive sync should work in window mode but I would expect issues, since this is also an OS thing then.

Anyway you can try the ingame 60 fps frame limiter. This would be into your adaptive sync range.

Edited by KrHome.1920