Secrets of the Obscure: Looking Back and Forward

On 8/6/2024 at 8:59 AM, Gaiawolf.8261 said:

That sounds like a lot of resources and game time to get through. I understand a small set of the playerbase really like that sort of content, but it's just not accessible enough to warrant that level of development, unless Anet gets a bunch more funding. Personally, I'd rather that time and coin go into the main story, explorable maps, and OW metas that most players will experience.

Strikes, fractals, and convergences exist solely because they are much more economically feasible for providing high-endgame content without taking too much away from the broader expac development. I'm interested in what they can do with the new OW raid. If they can fund raid development by sharing resources with OW content, we may see more of them in the future. And the broader playerbase gets in on a piece of the action to boot! This is an experiment to see how it fares. And I'm glad Anet is taking these kinds of risks to see what works for developing more engaging content across the board. Execution will be key. I hope they take the lessons learned from what worked before and nail it.

It's smart and fun. I hate how in FFXIV they don't re-use the open world or even the dungeons for other content; it's a huge lost opportunity for re-using locations that took a lot of time and effort in creating.