PvP core warrior support build

Posted (edited)

Ok, as a part of my "Reduce spellbreakers in spvp" initiative I give you an alternative way to play your warrior:
Core warrior support!

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwEYiNssBGG7jdxIxTaSddC-DaJ8QyUIUtKIgJgvOMAAA

Thanks to someone *cough* Lan *cough* i learned about relic of warrior + Fast Hands tech,
so here I'll remind you of another tech not everyone knows about:

Currently you can use SotO weapons in spvp even without the actual xpac!
So as a core player you are fully equipped to use this build!

What are we cooking here?

A roaming support core warrior. Not only does this build excel at healing and buffing allies,
but is also excellent at getting around the map fast to support a sidenode or take one yourself if no one is there.

Pros:
- very high healing output (often beating meta supports)
- very high mobility with tools to deny enemies stopping you (cleanses, stab, resistance, superspeed).
- very impactful support skills - warrior support has quality vs other's quantity.
- very durable - played right you're a bunker.
- 2.5s weapon swap cd for maximum value from both your weapon sets.

Cons:
- low damage output
- can be popped if cc focused and bursted (especially if enemy has unblockables)
- other supports offer more in terms of cleansing conditions from allies

Usage instructions:
This is a bigger section so incentivize me to write it - let's see some love under this post and I'll write down a guide on how to use this build proper.

Edited by StraightPath.3972
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Try it again when the Patch hits and Martial Cadence gets changed. Though we don't know yet if it will have an ICD on its reset mechanic.

Honestly it's the banner cast and after cast reduction that gets my blood pumping - currently Banner of Tactics is often a dicey cast, prone to interruptions.
And Heightened Focus upgrade right after that, since I'm an avid user of that trait.

As for Martial Cadence  - that remains to be seen, but it's Zerkers and Spellbreaker who'll want to dip into that one the most.
Both have weak healing on their bursts, but can burst often. So having extra heal source strapped to it is perfect for them.
Also both have better stab access and tools to ensure their bursts land.

I prefer having more healing power to power my big heals, and extra heal source from shouts rather than bursts.
Shouts are instant casts and cannot be denied in any way. Bursts can and I'm not sure if a staff burst that heals allies,
but fails to hit an enemy will trigger Soldier's Focus or not at all..

But it does look pretty overloaded to be fair - I'll see what rolls out once the patch is here.
ICD + condi cleanse prioritizing damaging condies will the the deciding factors for me.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

Honestly it's the banner cast and after cast reduction that gets my blood pumping - currently Banner of Tactics is often a dicey cast, prone to interruptions.
And Heightened Focus upgrade right after that, since I'm an avid user of that trait.

As for Martial Cadence  - that remains to be seen, but it's Zerkers and Spellbreaker who'll want to dip into that one the most.
Both have weak healing on their bursts, but can burst often. So having extra heal source strapped to it is perfect for them.
Also both have better stab access and tools to ensure their bursts land.

I prefer having more healing power to power my big heals, and extra heal source from shouts rather than bursts.
Shouts are instant casts and cannot be denied in any way. Bursts can and I'm not sure if a staff burst that heals allies,
but fails to hit an enemy will trigger Soldier's Focus or not at all..

But it does look pretty overloaded to be fair - I'll see what rolls out once the patch is here.
ICD + condi cleanse prioritizing damaging condies will the the deciding factors for me.

Berserkers and Spellbreakers will definitely get more from it, but Burst->Swap->Burst to dump Soldier's Comfort plus condition cleansing will be powerful so long as you have adrenaline feeding it. Still, the instant Healing from VS will probably be better for Core while Spell and Berserker would take Martial Cadence for heal spam via bursts.

I suspect that there will be an occasional Axe/- + Staff Berserker using it to bunker if there is no ICD on it.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Berserkers and Spellbreakers will definitely get more from it, but Burst->Swap->Burst to dump Soldier's Comfort plus condition cleansing will be powerful so long as you have adrenaline feeding it. Still, the instant Healing from VS will probably be better for Core while Spell and Berserker would take Martial Cadence for heal spam via bursts.

I suspect that there will be an occasional Axe/- + Staff Berserker using it to bunker if there is no ICD on it.

Meanwhile while we're here debating Martial Cadence, Invigorating Shouts also got nice buff.
Namely new "Shrug it Off!" that will be triggered by using a healing skill.

That is a huge ninja buff.
With warrior healing skills in pvp having 20cd at best, I suspect there will be no icd on this trait.
This means that depending on the healing skill used you'll have nearly 2~3 times more passive shout procs than before.

Additionally these will be controlled casts.
Right now a stray necro mark can trigger the passive cast before I even get near the fight,
wasting the stunbreak, heal and cleanse if it was something trivial like two bleed stacks.

After the patch (with vigorous shout traited) I'll be able to get another healing shout in, along with a small cleanse.
Big question is if the new version of "Shrug it Off!" will keep the aoe stunbreak. If it does - big.
If not - kinda iffy, because without vigorous shouts all the passive proc offers is a lame single condi cleanse in aoe.. far worse than Martial Cadence.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

Meanwhile while we're here debating Martial Cadence, Invigorating Shouts also got nice buff.
Namely new "Shrug it Off!" that will be triggered by using a healing skill.

That is a huge ninja buff.
With warrior healing skills in pvp having 20cd at best, I suspect there will be no icd on this trait.
This means that depending on the healing skill used you'll have nearly 2~3 times more passive shout procs than before.

Additionally these will be controlled casts.
Right now a stray necro mark can trigger the passive cast before I even get near the fight,
wasting the stunbreak, heal and cleanse if it was something trivial like two bleed stacks.

After the patch (with vigorous shout traited) I'll be able to get another healing shout in, along with a small cleanse.
Big question is if the new version of "Shrug it Off!" will keep the aoe stunbreak. If it does - big.
If not - kinda iffy, because without vigorous shouts all the passive proc offers is a lame single condi cleanse in aoe.. far worse than Martial Cadence.

Some people are miffed on the new Shrug it Off. In my experience it gets procced too easily for the stunbreak on it to matter. As for it proccing off of a heal, I suspect that it will stunbreak allies. I have advocated for Restorative Strength to proc FGJ on heal, so I'm aware of the potential of the new trait. To The Limit with Shrug and VS traited will become the single largest heal in the game that isn't a hard coded full heal.

Posted (edited)

I'm not a huge fan of the new Shrug it off the stun break could work ok with defiant stance because it's quick but with any other heal you're going to have to wait a bit before the stun break goes off and it'll feel like trying to break stuns with the current tactics banner which isn't good.

To the limit with the new Shrug it off is a weird one also because TtL already provides a huge heal with vigorous shouts (5k+) anything more than that is overkill so the heal from shake it off and the heal from cleansing a condi are going to waste.

It feels weird to say but it's like we're not meant to take shrug it off with a shout healer build.

Edited by sherwinator.7954

11 hours ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

Ok, as a part of my "Reduce spellbreakers in spvp" initiative I give you an alternative way to play your warrior:
Core warrior support!

Thanks to someone *cough* Lan *cough* i learned about relic of warrior + Fast Hands tech,

A roaming support core warrior. Not only does this build excel at healing and buffing allies,
but is also excellent at getting around the map fast to support a sidenode or take one yourself if no one is there.

Pros:
- very high mobility with tools to deny enemies stopping you (cleanses, stab, resistance, superspeed).
- very impactful support skills - warrior support has quality vs other's quantity.

Cons:
- low damage output
- can be popped if cc focused and bursted (especially if enemy has unblockables)

Usage instructions:
This is a bigger section so incentivize me to write it - let's see some love under this post and I'll write down a guide on how to use this build proper.

I love the effort to find non-spb builds for competitive, but I think the coming patch will result in more SpB in PvP, not less.  

My prediction for the meta warrior build post patch (note: the build will use heretic amulet, not avatar, but that's not available in the builder just yet):

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwAYhzlFwwYisLGJmUX+vTA-DaJsQysC6NEqOBs9tAAA

You could also run GS instead of dagger sword for bigger burst and more mobility.

In both variants, you have decent damage, incredible healing and team support, decent CC, boon rip, mobility, a rez utility... It can support in a team fight or duel and hold a node, and it has the mobility to get where it's needed.

6 hours ago, CalmTheStorm.2364 said:

I love the effort to find non-spb builds for competitive, but I think the coming patch will result in more SpB in PvP, not less.  

My prediction for the meta warrior build post patch (note: the build will use heretic amulet, not avatar, but that's not available in the builder just yet):

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PKwAYhzlFwwYisLGJmUX+vTA-DaJsQysC6NEqOBs9tAAA

You could also run GS instead of dagger sword for bigger burst and more mobility.

In both variants, you have decent damage, incredible healing and team support, decent CC, boon rip, mobility, a rez utility... It can support in a team fight or duel and hold a node, and it has the mobility to get where it's needed.

Yes, the Martial Cadence will definitely make SB a happy camper but be forewarned - your build has no defense and you want to run heretic amulet which has no bonus vitality.
Not even Defiant Stance. This setup will bring an ugly death once enemies realize you're actually quite squishy.

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

Yes, the Martial Cadence will definitely make SB a happy camper but be forewarned - your build has no defense and you want to run heretic amulet which has no bonus vitality.
Not even Defiant Stance. This setup will bring an ugly death once enemies realize you're actually quite squishy.

No defense....?

My guy, it's running staff, OH sword, triple shout healing, and 2 healing traits...with over 700 healing power to juice them. 

And it's spellbreaker. Full counter is an amazing defensive tool.

Could you build it to have even MORE defense? Sure. But then you lose our on the offensive/duelist properties that make SpB so potent. But you could absolutely make it a full support if you wanted to.

But my bet is that you're going to see an ultra tanky duelist/support hybrid (not unlike Bladesworn in its heyday).

I also bet that it will get nerfed inside 2 months time. And for the same reasons.

On 6/3/2024 at 12:50 PM, StraightPath.3972 said:

Core warrior support!

Pros:

Cons:
- low damage output

Usage instructions:

Solid build choice, would personally suggest to use "brawlers recovery" instead of "double standards" and replace the banner with another shout or, and hear me out, "stomp".

Stomp is a stunbreak and gives you much needed breathing room when four people start to barrel down on you. Instead of "stomp" you can also use "On my mark" if your facing a lot of thiefs.