Please, support Mac community!

Hye, I have been playing for quite some time, over few years.

My wife also likes the game and we would love if you support Mac client, because I am changing to Mac too, because of my work and this means I won't be able to play it, same goes for my wife.

Don't we have enough Mac supporters so You guys make that step (back to the future again)?

<3

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Onlyflameone.2136 said:

Hye, I have been playing for quite some time, over few years.

My wife also likes the game and we would love if you support Mac client, because I am changing to Mac too, because of my work and this means I won't be able to play it, same goes for my wife.

Don't we have enough Mac supporters so You guys make that step (back to the future again)?

❤️

What Macs do you play on?

I've been willingly paying $20/mo out of pocket for GFN Ultimate just to play GW2 and I'm annoyed at how poor the upkeep it on GFN's end. I'd rather send that money to ANET directly to upkeep Mac support. Really annoying when GFN doesn't update the client properly; the downtime lately has been atrocious.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately, Parasite is right. Apple forsaken the game via support of vital programs needed to run gw2. Unless you can convince Apple, unfortunately you are going to need a relatively new windows (i never tried Linux, so I can't say with certainty) computer. 

Don't worry, I was able to run gw2 on a i5 laptop potato with an intergrated motherboard. You probably could get a cheap computer from Wally World under 150 that could run gw2.

Edited by Zeivu.3615
  • Like 1

On 6/6/2024 at 7:17 PM, Parasite.5389 said:

Unfortunately, ArenaNet discontinued Mac support for the game back in 2021 due to a lack of support From Apple for the game.

Apple ended the support for OpenGL. The game studios can't do much on that part.
There is no point in supporting a client that no Mac users can use.

• Like 1

You can thank Apple here. They decided to not support open graphics APIs like OpenGL or Vulkan and are pushing their proprietary stuff instead. Obviously only works for Macs and supporting a completely different API for just one platform is an insane amount of work. Not to mention the different CPU architecture, who knows maybe Anet uses some x86-ASM in their engine (keep in mind that it's based on GW1's engine).

You may have luck soon - Apple just announced from WWDC today a toolkit (Game Porting Kit 2) that makes it easier to port games to apple silicon (M-series macs)

I'm no developer however and have no idea what spaghetti code Guild Wars is made of so it may not make any difference for GW2 but it's worth a shot to ask ArenaNet once they read up on everything.

Edited by samifly.6439

On 6/7/2024 at 2:12 AM, Onlyflameone.2136 said:

Macbook pro M2 and Mac Studio Max M2

Try to install Whisky and install the game through it. Don't turn on DXVK and turn on Msync. You will be surprised 😃 Let me know if you have any Qs