Opt out of Arcane Chest unlock puzzle

I have been experiencing ridiculous amounts of lag for the past week and I am unable to complete the puzzles to open arcane chests in SOTO.  Trying to open a chest usually ends up yeeting me off a cliff.  Can we get a new mastery that allows us to just open and loot?  Or I will literally pay for a quality-of-life account upgrade to opt-out of the puzzle.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I am not quite sure why they added the mechanic in the first place (maybe something about bots/alt farming?)  Do many players actually find that mechanic interesting?  Same for the repeat the sequence one that was used a lot in EoD, and made its way into at least 1 item for the tyrian taste testing achievement.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Solvar.7953 said:

I am not quite sure why they added the mechanic in the first place (maybe something about bots/alt farming?)  Do many players actually find that mechanic interesting?  Same for the repeat the sequence one that was used a lot in EoD, and made its way into at least 1 item for the tyrian taste testing achievement.

I believe it is an anti-bot mechanism. 

10 hours ago, RoseofGilead.8907 said:

It doesn't completely remove it, but the Wayfinder Mastery does make the lesser chests open after one round and the greater ones open after two.

Oh thank you, that gives me hope!

• Confused 2

Posted (edited)

I haven’t been able to open even a single arcane chest since the expansion launched besides the one required for a story mission… the lock times out way too fast and I get hit with an insane amount of input lag every single time I interact with one of them (same with the slot machine games in EoD that use the same mechanic)… I literally have to predict the pattern before it shows anything or my inputs will be registered after it times out every single time.

Edited by Panda.1967
  • Confused 1

I do wonder how effective this is as an anti-bot mechanic.  When you had to get the sequence of 3 correct, I could see that.  But if you have the mastery, you only need to get 1 correct - it would seem like a bot could keep trying that as it has a 20% of getting it right, it will do so.  Though maybe Anet added logic to flag accounts with an excessive number of retries, but that assumes Anet actually cares about doing something about bots, and given past history, that seems optimistic.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Solvar.7953 said:

But if you have the mastery, you only need to get 1 correct - it would seem like a bot could keep trying that as it has a 20% of getting it right, it will do so. 

How many bots have maxed out GW2 masteries?

• Like 1

I imagine a fair number of bots/afkers have completed the masteries.  AFK farming in the game is pointless unless you have auto-loot, and you need a mastery for that.

If bot users are serious, I suspect the spend the few hours to get the mastery points and experience to get that mastery completed.  More than likely, they would just focus on that mastery track and not worry about the other ones.

I'm also a little perplexed out the point of bot for those chests - I can't imagine most bots are smart enough to move from chest to chest, so my only guess is that the bot logs in with an account/character, opens chest, goes to next character, repeat, when all characters are done, maybe the next account if they have several.  But this also requires that they have bought SotO for multiple accounts, and based on what one gets from those chests, hard to imagine this would make them much money (presuming they sell the items for gold, and then sell that gold for real world cash).  We've had chests for a long time that did not have that mechanic, and I don't recall seeing large number of bots opening them - rather, the bots tend to be elsewhere where they can be earning something for hours at a time, and not a single chest being opened.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1